U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 04:01 PM

583 posts, read 508,421 times

Advertisements

Bless your heart... now you've gone and confused observation with projection. You've already told us far more about you than you probably intended to, but I digress. Here's hoping you somehow find your way.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:12 PM

3,912 posts, read 5,363,024 times
I’ll chime in to say people have invited us and asked our “flavor”. But if we said “found a place” or “that’s okay”, they’ve completely backed off. Haven’t found it to be a problem.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:22 PM

113 posts, read 78,795 times
Jesus loves you no matter if you deny Him. God bless.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:18 PM

476 posts, read 295,963 times
Wow. Quite a thread. So, for a person who is spiritual (believes in God but doesn't go to church) and is quite conservative but let people live their own lives as they wish as long as it doesn't infringe on my rights, how would that person fair in Greenville?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:50 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,391,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
Wow. Quite a thread. So, for a person who is spiritual (believes in God but doesn't go to church) and is quite conservative but let people live their own lives as they wish as long as it doesn't infringe on my rights, how would that person fair in Greenville?
It's already been mentioned in this thread. I fair well here and don't fit any of the traditional stereotypes.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:56 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,183,413 times
I have no doubts there are problems like mentioned, and in this day and age, it doesn't surprise me that some have had problems.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:05 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,734,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioddy View Post
Eh...? Art123 I did not read all nine pages of this post and honestly do not know what you are talking about, nor why you believed I singled you out? And what do you mean by "believing an altercation"? By altercation I meant simply by its definition... that there was a disagreement between the parties. Politics and religion are the top most topics people should avoid, so it would make sense why your wife would be reluctant to participate in them.

Not sure why y'all are getting defensive as I didn't blame anyone for anything, simply sharing my own experience. That's why we're here, right?
You may want to read the thread before commenting?

I didn't write "believing an altercation." I was shunned and pushed out of a job because I don't "believe," aka I don't believe in Jesus, God, Allah. Maybe reread my post with that context.

The discussion is about discrimination against non-religious and non-conservative people here in this area - something that has happened to me and my wife. So your post seemed to reduce that to an "altercation," implying both parties are at fault, which was clearly not the case with us. You shouldn't have to find another job because of your religion, or lack thereof. You shouldn't live in fear in your own home because of your religion. These are not altercations, or a result of not having an open mind. They are bigotry on the behalf of the conservative christians we encountered here in this area as atheists and Buddhists.

If you are "wondering why" these things happened to us, and suggesting it's our fault because we "are not as open minded towards your peers as you expect them to be to you," that's offensive and wrong. Get that? I now realize you were ignorant of the context, but in the context of the thread your post was offensive. It is reminiscent of blaming rape victims for being raped, spreading the blame to both parties instead of squarely on the rapist.

If someone throws a brick at your house, that's not an altercation, and we were not to blame for being close-minded.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:49 AM
Yac

5,923 posts, read 6,529,877 times
Oh wow, this took such a dark turn.. but that's all I can say without singling out anyone.
I hope the OP got the answers he was looking for.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or