U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:41 AM

11,770 posts, read 26,647,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
Have you considered Asheville, NC? In the mountains, and decidedly liberal. It's totally different than other southern cities. As for Greenville, I think you'd be fine, especially in Greenville itself. The outlying areas are much more religious and conservative.
Asheville came to mind as well. Although Greenville is nice, it is far from liberal. It is religious also and you probably will be asked what church you go to. It's OK like other posters said, just say I am not religious. If you don't mind those things, it is a nice place to live. Another poster came up with a good point, there are far less people than Raleigh or Richmond. Those are bigger cities.

For the OP, come visit and then decide. I always suggest to visit places you would if you were living there. (Grocery, stores, restaurants, Post office, etc) Get out and talk to people. See what kind of vibe you get and if you like it.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 AM

11,770 posts, read 26,647,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Greenville is significantly smaller than either Raleigh or Richmond. You should probably visit several of these cities with everyone involved in the move to gauge which has the right fit.

Greenville is pretty conservative and religious but you can certainly be happy here even if you are neither of those things. There is a significant population of non-conservative and non-religious people. If you are someone that gets offended if people ask what church you go to or if you expect liberal representation in government, you are likely to be disappointed.
^^^^This

Old 01-19-2018, 11:46 AM

120 posts, read 93,477 times
Thank you very much for the replies, I appreciate the honest answers and suggestions.

I found Greenville a little late in my search, and I was able to visit the other cities, but now it will be a little harder. I think it's something I'll have to do though, but I wish I planned better. I want to start applying to new grad nurse residency programs but I think that could wait.

My thinking about the population size was that it's true Raleigh has a bigger population but not so many people were actually out and about, I thought maybe Greenville would be more outdoorsy whether it was downtown or at festivals etc. When I visited Chapel Hill, that's where I found a lot of people out. I visited during my spring break last year, and the weather was beautiful.

I'm 21 but I'm really looking for a slower pace mentality but still a small city environment and lots of nature. The city I'm in now is one of NJ's worst for crime, I drive an hour sometimes just to walk my dog safely. If I don't drive out of the city, and it's later in the day, I carry a baseball bat and pepper spray, that's what everyone else does, even some men. I drive over an hour to my university and pushed myself hard so I could get the best grades and hope to live somewhere else. My dad, and both sides of my grandparents died from cancer. My mom and I don't have other family except distant relatives in Florida, and she was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer this summer, and had 2 surgeries so far, one was just recently and hoping they got it all now. She doesn't want to move again once we find a place to go to so I do feel it's a lot to decide and I have trouble, especially when travelling there isn't easy (school, work, my mom's chemo schedule and surgeries, time etc) but I'm not going to give up! So that's my back story and I will definately welcome a home that's away from my current city. I have a spring break this April so a visit will need to wait until then but I'm looking fwd to it, just that we definately want to move this summer so I'm worried too.

Thanks again all!

Old 01-19-2018, 11:47 AM

347 posts, read 332,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Greenville is significantly smaller than either Raleigh or Richmond.
For all intents and purposes this is correct, but it's also a little misleading.
Without being exact, Gville city is about 70k, Richmond is about 230k, and Raleigh is about 430k. BUT, Richmond City limits are more than twice Gville and Raleigh nearly 6 times the size. Raleigh and Richmond metros are both about 1.25 MM with Gville metro coming in at nearly 900k. Spartanburg used to be part of the metro and if it still was that would put GSA metro at over 1.3 MM.

In terms of real feel and experience and sizes of downtowns, etc, yes Greenville is notably smaller. But I wouldn't say the difference is enormous. GSA is a pretty large area with lots of options. Gville county just passed the 500k mark, Spartanburg is 300k and Anderson 200k.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:55 PM

2,363 posts, read 2,102,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
For all intents and purposes this is correct, but it's also a little misleading.
Without being exact, Gville city is about 70k, Richmond is about 230k, and Raleigh is about 430k. BUT, Richmond City limits are more than twice Gville and Raleigh nearly 6 times the size. Raleigh and Richmond metros are both about 1.25 MM with Gville metro coming in at nearly 900k. Spartanburg used to be part of the metro and if it still was that would put GSA metro at over 1.3 MM.

In terms of real feel and experience and sizes of downtowns, etc, yes Greenville is notably smaller. But I wouldn't say the difference is enormous. GSA is a pretty large area with lots of options. Gville county just passed the 500k mark, Spartanburg is 300k and Anderson 200k.
Raleigh is significantly bigger. It's true that if you add Spartanburg to the Greenville MSA it would be 1.3 million. If you took a similar approach and added Durham and Chapel Hill to the Raleigh MSA (both are similar to the distance between Greenville and Spartanburg), you would get 1.8 million.

I'm not saying Greenville is tiny - I actually like this area a lot more than Raleigh (I used to live in that area) but it is significantly smaller.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:02 PM

2,363 posts, read 2,102,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
My thinking about the population size was that it's true Raleigh has a bigger population but not so many people were actually out and about, I thought maybe Greenville would be more outdoorsy whether it was downtown or at festivals etc. When I visited Chapel Hill, that's where I found a lot of people out. I visited during my spring break last year, and the weather was beautiful.

I'm 21 but I'm really looking for a slower pace mentality but still a small city environment and lots of nature.
On the content of these specific comments, I think the Greenville area might be a good fit. Greenville to me, has a friendlier feel than Raleigh. Hard to describe how or why but it just does.

Downtown Greenville has a lot of outdoor festivals throughout the year. There are TONS of outdoor activities to do in the area. The SwampRabbit Trail offers walking and biking in Greenville. There is ample hiking and mountain biking in the nearby foothills and mountains. There are opportunities for backpacking and camping as well. For the more adventuresome, there is whitewater rafting, kayaking, bouldering, and rock climbing in the nearby area.

IMO (in my opinion), Greenville offers a great balance between availability of jobs and outdoorsy type hobbies. Asheville may be a bit better on the outdoorsy front but there aren't a lot of jobs available. Raleigh has a lot of jobs but if you are looking to play in the mountains, it leaves you with a long drive (and it is about as far to the beach from there as from Greenville).

Old 01-19-2018, 04:27 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,817,587 times
WhtewaterVol- glad to hear someone else echo my sentiments. The first few months that I lived herre, after moving from Raleigh, I had to pinch myself when i found myself hiking in the mountains after just about an hour's drive. Although I really miss my Raleigh friends, on the whole I too find it friendlier here. Re: the outdoors one thing I do miss is all of the greenway trials, the NC State arboretum, and other place to walk (not necessarily hike) close by. I wish we had a few other places here.
Raleigh will defintiely have more jobs in certain fields,, especially technology.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:17 PM

313 posts, read 189,039 times
I have a Jewish friend who when asked where he goes to church he responds "the same one as Jesus". There is apparently usually a couple of seconds for that to process.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:53 PM

347 posts, read 332,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
WhtewaterVol- glad to hear someone else echo my sentiments. The first few months that I lived herre, after moving from Raleigh, I had to pinch myself when i found myself hiking in the mountains after just about an hour's drive. Although I really miss my Raleigh friends, on the whole I too find it friendlier here. Re: the outdoors one thing I do miss is all of the greenway trials, the NC State arboretum, and other place to walk (not necessarily hike) close by. I wish we had a few other places here.
You may be familiar with these but thought I'd mention them. These make great walks, but you don't have to "hike".

1. Obviously Swamp Rabbit Trail
2. Falls Park is now connected to Cleveland Park by the Cancer Survivors Park. Beautiful walk from park to park.
3. Furman University. Lots of people use it to take walks, gardens, lakes, gorgeous in the springtime.
4. Lake Conestee Nature Trail. Haven't been in a few years but it's been an ongoing project. Walking trails, ponds, bird sanctuary, lots of plant life.
5. SC Botanical Garden just outside Clemson. Very pretty anytime of year, lots of plant life, old trees and historic Hanover House on property.
6. Paris Mtn State Park. You can hike but don't have to. Great place to take in level walking paths.
7. Not as nice as Swamp Rabbit but Doodle Trail connects Easley and Pickens.

I'm sure there are others, just a few I thought of right quick.

Couple other cool non hike walks a little farther out; Stumphouse Mtn Tunnel and Issaqueena Falls, Walhalla Fish Hatchery and Trail (beautiful old growth forest, not a hike ), and Poinsett Bridge area.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,817,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
You may be familiar with these but thought I'd mention them. These make great walks, but you don't have to "hike".

1. Obviously Swamp Rabbit Trail
2. Falls Park is now connected to Cleveland Park by the Cancer Survivors Park. Beautiful walk from park to park.
3. Furman University. Lots of people use it to take walks, gardens, lakes, gorgeous in the springtime.
4. Lake Conestee Nature Trail. Haven't been in a few years but it's been an ongoing project. Walking trails, ponds, bird sanctuary, lots of plant life.
5. SC Botanical Garden just outside Clemson. Very pretty anytime of year, lots of plant life, old trees and historic Hanover House on property.
6. Paris Mtn State Park. You can hike but don't have to. Great place to take in level walking paths.
7. Not as nice as Swamp Rabbit but Doodle Trail connects Easley and Pickens.

I'm sure there are others, just a few I thought of right quick.

Couple other cool non hike walks a little farther out; Stumphouse Mtn Tunnel and Issaqueena Falls, Walhalla Fish Hatchery and Trail (beautiful old growth forest, not a hike ), and Poinsett Bridge area.
Thank you- been to all of these- my son and I go to Lake Conestee almost every day in the warmer weather; it's only 8 minutes from our house. Whem it has just rained we stick to paved trails like Cleveland Oark. Raleigh has more places to wander in the woods, especially near Falls Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or