U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:21 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,721,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Like I said. I fit everything that should get discriminated against. Nothing has happened. One thing for sure. If I did have issues, I wouldn't continue to live in a place I didn't like. That's the beauty of the US. So many different places to choose from.

If it is like this why are so many people moving here?
So many fallacies in your posts, it's probably a waste of my time to respond, but alas.

Never said I don't like Greenville. I do.

Attacking the messenger doesn't negate the message.

Because something hasn't happened to you personally, doesn't mean things do not happen to other people.

But if you want to make this about you, I doubt you'd hear any n-word jokes at the ole water cooler, for example. But I have. A lot.

If you're not liberal, how would you be discriminated against as a liberal? Are you an atheist? A Buddhist? Do you have a Buddha on your desk? On your front porch? Bumper stickers on your car?

Do you believe that people have a right to being proudly liberal, or atheist, or buddhist without being discriminated against at work? Or the butt of hate crimes at home?

Last edited by Art123; 01-21-2018 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-21-2018, 12:06 PM

4,536 posts, read 6,372,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
So many fallacies in your posts, it's probably a waste of my time to respond, but alas.

Never said I don't like Greenville. I do.

Attacking the messenger doesn't negate the message.

Because something hasn't happened to you personally, doesn't mean things do not happen to other people.

But if you want to make this about you, I doubt you'd hear any n-word jokes at the ole water cooler, for example. But I have. A lot.

If you're not liberal, how would you be discriminated against as a liberal? Are you an atheist? A Buddhist? Do you have a Buddha on your desk? On your front porch? Bumper stickers on your car?

Do you believe that people have a right to being proudly liberal, or atheist, or buddhist without being discriminated against at work? Or the butt of hate crimes at home?
You can be whatever you want. I subscribe to no religion and I don't hide it when asked. I don't do bumper stickers or any other ego based thing to advertise what I believe. That's my business. Why would I have to tell everyone? Just live. No need to do all of that. I don't care what you believe. Neither does most other people. They have their own lives to focus on.

I grew up in a bigoted place. Trust me, I know what all of it is; and Greenville isn't it.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Just live. No need to do all of that. I don't care what you believe. Neither does most other people. They have their own lives to focus on.
My I suggest you take your own advice regarding my posts and "just live.?" I won't pretend to know what your life has been like if you'll do the same in return.

My experience has been that there's a significant population of people here who are not tolerant of any religion other than their particular brand of Christianity. And these people, including employers and managers, will discriminate and create a hostile work environment for non-Christians, liberals, atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.

And some of these people don't want us as neighbors, either.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
My I suggest you take your own advice regarding my posts and "just live.?" I won't pretend to know what your life has been like if you'll do the same in return.

My experience has been that there's a significant population of people here who are not tolerant of any religion other than their particular brand of Christianity. And these people, including employers and managers, will discriminate and create a hostile work environment for non-Christians, liberals, atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.

And some of these people don't want us as neighbors, either.
When you post something negative I disagree with about Greenville, I'm going to speak up. That's in a sense my business. Since I do business here. I want the op to know that what you put doesn't happen to the majority.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
When you post something negative I disagree with about Greenville, I'm going to speak up. That's in a sense my business. Since I do business here. I want the op to know that what you put doesn't happen to the majority.
Thank you for being honest about your motivations.

I want the OP to know his concerns are, by my personal experience here in Greenville, valid. And I have no ulterior motives.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Thank you for being honest about your motivations.

I want the OP to know his concerns are, by my personal experience here in Greenville, valid. And I have no ulterior motives.
Same to you. Look, I know it seems like I'm trying to be combative with you. I promise you that I'm not. I just don't see a backwards city, nor do I want potential newcomers to think that. My advice to them usually is visit and form your own opinions, since opinions are usually subjective. If the majority of the people I've dealt with felt this way, I would be inclined to agree. I deal with a fair share from family, friends, and clients and I just never hear this. Some of my family from DC are actually considering moving down.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:05 PM

157 posts, read 97,467 times
The bad news is there's a very high likelihood that you and your mom will inevitably get some nasty, judgmental look or comment for liberal politics or not attending church at least a couple of times throughout a long period of living in Greenville. Also, a lot of these people look down on Catholicism; you could get some heat for that, too. The good news is that it is so rare that it's hardly a reason to be discouraged. It also helps if you stick to Greenville proper, which is much more diverse and inclusive than the surrounding towns. You'll make friends even if it takes some time. I do think that the job market and singles scene are pretty lousy, but that is just my personal experience. Best of luck wherever you and your mom land!

Old 01-21-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
The bad news is there's a very high likelihood that you and your mom will inevitably get some nasty, judgmental look or comment for liberal politics or not attending church at least a couple of times throughout a long period of living in Greenville. Also, a lot of these people look down on Catholicism; you could get some heat for that, too. The good news is that it is so rare that it's hardly a reason to be discouraged. It also helps if you stick to Greenville proper, which is much more diverse and inclusive than the surrounding towns. You'll make friends even if it takes some time. I do think that the job market and singles scene are pretty lousy, but that is just my personal experience. Best of luck wherever you and your mom land!
I would agree that it is rare. As I mentioned earlier in the thread. I fit everything that should be discriminated against, I've never had an issue. I've been here 14 years.

I grew up in a town where I did experience this. So I definitely know what it looks like. Greenville isn't it.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:27 PM

1,280 posts, read 427,622 times
Good grief.

A Democrat just won a city-wide city council seat. There was also a women's anti-Trump/anti-Republican march in Falls Park this weekend.

The majority of people in Greenville are at least nominally Christian, and it is a culture that is tolerant of Christianity.

That does not mean that someone who is liberal and not churchgoing will be on the receiving end of hostility.

However, if someone is big on being liberal and/or irreligious, I question why the person would move to a place that is generally politically conservative and in the Bible Belt. Why not move to a place where the person would be surrounded by slews of like-minded people? Even Asheville is probably much more of a match.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:05 PM

355 posts, read 336,140 times
While there's no doubt this is a strongly (self-proclaimed) Christian and conservative area, I think most are pretty welcoming as long as people do not come with a condescending attitude or in a spirit of looking down on natives or the south in general. Yes, there are some old time hicks around who are not the best at making others feel welcome, but I truly do not think that is the norm. This is not Florida or California, but it is a pretty diverse place. Just at my school, there are many AA, Hispanic, and bi-racial families, as well as Muslim families, and families from various Asian and European countries. For the most part, everyone gets along pretty well. We have close friends who are Asian, European, Latino, and transplants from all around the country. Just In the last 15 years, Greenville has had an AA Chief of Police, a female Chief of Police, a female AA as Superintendent of the state's largest school district. The Father of Modern Greenville is Max Heller, a Jewish Imigrant who was elected mayor in the 1970s. One of the largest churches downtown is St. Mary's CATHOLIC church with thousands of members, one of quite a few parrishes around. There are Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese churches, at least one Mosque. There are lots of women, lots of transplants, lots of immigrants. Lots of liberals. And, yes, lots of conservatives and Christians too. We have work to do, and yes, I and my fellow conservatives and Christians don't always portray love the way we should, but I think this is a pretty darn good place to live; for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or