U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2018, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,233 posts, read 7,724,616 times
Reputation: 2623

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
It's not. But any city can discriminate against any type of group. And some discrimination goes on in any city. I don't think there is no group discriminated against more than the criteria that I mentioned. I've fared well here.
You've said that ad nauseam. Some of us have not, at times, fared well.

Your experience does not invalidate mine. That's the part you seem to be having trouble with.

Live and let live.

 
Old 01-22-2018, 09:36 AM
 
4,538 posts, read 6,377,310 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Just going from Art's list, I'd offer that both Muslim and Transgender people would be likely to see more overt racism.

I know that personally, I occasionally hear comments said out in the open by racist / intolerant people that assume I agree with their views based on the fact that I'm a white guy. I'd guess those same people might not openly make those same comments to you or other minorities.
Maybe not. But there are different types of racist, not just whites. There are black racist too, that doesn't mean that Greenville in general is a mostly bigoted or racist place.
 
Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 AM
 
4,538 posts, read 6,377,310 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You've said that ad nauseam. Some of us have not, at times, fared well.

Your experience does not invalidate mine. That's the part you seem to be having trouble with.

Live and let live.
I'm not having trouble Art. Let's just agree to disagree and let me buy you a cup of coffee.
 
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM
 
470 posts, read 698,729 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Your experience does not invalidate mine.
No, it doesn't. But it also doesn't mean it's the norm.

I have lived here for almost 9 years and the topic religion has never been an issue for me.
I live and let live and surround myself with people that seem to have the same approach (religious or not). It's working well.
 
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 AM
 
4,538 posts, read 6,377,310 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
No, it doesn't. But it also doesn't mean it's the norm.

I have lived here for almost 9 years and the topic religion has never been an issue for me.
I live and let live and surround myself with people that seems to have the same approach (religious or not). It's working well.
Must be the same approach I'm using.
 
Old 01-22-2018, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Greer
1,610 posts, read 2,021,077 times
Reputation: 1121
I will give the same answer to "Is Greenville nonreligious-friendly?" as I do to the question "Is Greenville gay-friendly?"

There are really two questions to answer. "Is Greenville nonreligious-friendly enough for a nonreligious person to enjoy life here?" I think the answer is 'yes.' There are a lot of nonreligious people to hang out with and a lot of religious people you can hang out with who won't make you feel uncomfortable about the difference.

"Is Greenville friendlier than most other areas towards nonreligious people?" I would say the answer is no. You're likely to come across street preachers now and then, and in everyday conversations get asked "What church do you go to?" with a possible uncomfortable silence after you answer. Your door may be knocked on by people who want to tell you about Jesus. People will tell you they are praying for you if they hear something bad happened to you.


I would make a rough estimate that Greenville is probably in the top 5% of US cities in terms of people being religious.
 
Old 01-22-2018, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,233 posts, read 7,724,616 times
Reputation: 2623
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I'm not having trouble Art. Let's just agree to disagree and let me buy you a cup of coffee.
There’s nothing to agree to disagree about. There’s two different people with equally valid experiences.

What you need to do is stop with the personal attacks/blaming the victim, like the moderator has already mentioned on this thread.
 
Old 01-22-2018, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
1,873 posts, read 1,832,345 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I will give the same answer to "Is Greenville nonreligious-friendly?" as I do to the question "Is Greenville gay-friendly?"

There are really two questions to answer. "Is Greenville nonreligious-friendly enough for a nonreligious person to enjoy life here?" I think the answer is 'yes.' There are a lot of nonreligious people to hang out with and a lot of religious people you can hang out with who won't make you feel uncomfortable about the difference.

"Is Greenville friendlier than most other areas towards nonreligious people?" I would say the answer is no. You're likely to come across street preachers now and then, and in everyday conversations get asked "What church do you go to?" with a possible uncomfortable silence after you answer. Your door may be knocked on by people who want to tell you about Jesus. People will tell you they are praying for you if they hear something bad happened to you.


I would make a rough estimate that Greenville is probably in the top 5% of US cities in terms of people being religious.
Great post, gvsteve. I pretty much hang out with people who share my views, and there are plenty. OTOH I do feel uncomfortable at a public event where there is always a prayer, and it is definitely not non-sectarian about 99% of the time.

Greenville is a pretty diverse place, and I don't think a non-religious person or a non-Christian will have trouble finding like-minded people.
 
Old 01-22-2018, 11:14 AM
 
4,538 posts, read 6,377,310 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
There’s nothing to agree to disagree about. There’s two different people with equally valid experiences.

What you need to do is stop with the personal attacks/blaming the victim, like the moderator has already mentioned on this thread.
I'm not sure what you say is a personal attack. I just offered to buy you a cup of coffee. Don't be so sensitive. If I was attacking it would look much different. And I'd probably be banned. Not once have I called you a personal name. Just that your experience isn't familiar with me or the folks I deal with.

If you wish to be bitter and angry that's on you. The offer is still on the table for the coffee. Then you'll learn more about me. That I'm definitely not that type of person.
 
Old 01-22-2018, 11:21 AM
 
2,376 posts, read 2,123,376 times
Reputation: 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I'm not sure what you say is a personal attack. I just offered to buy you a cup of coffee. Don't be so sensitive. If I was attacking it would look much different. And I'd probably be banned. Not once have I called you a personal name. Just that your experience isn't familiar with me or the folks I deal with.

If you wish to be bitter and angry that's on you. The offer is still on the table for the coffee. Then you'll learn more about me. That I'm definitely not that type of person.

It's okay to not get in the last word in every argument.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top