U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:17 AM

5,777 posts, read 6,549,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Yeah I'd suspect the answers to the question if a muslim woman wanted to wear her hijab in a SC driver's license photo is going to be much different than if a catholic nun did the same with her habit.
According to CAIR, SC allows religious head coverings for drivers licenses:

Quote:
Policy: Current practice on driver license photographs allows an individual to be photographed wearing a head covering if it is worn for religious reasons, as long as the face is completely visible. Employees must also provide as much privacy as possible when dealing with female customers whose religion mandates that they wear face veils. In June 2002, the South Carolina Legislature repealed a law that had allowed a no-photo option on the basis of religious objection.
http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionlaw...ments/LWVJ.pdf

But in Alabama....

Quote:
The lawsuit says Yvonne Allen of Tuskegee, Ala., is a devout Christian woman who believes the Bible commands in First Corinthians Chapter 11 that she show her submission to God by covering her hair in public. When she went to renew her license at a Lee County driver license office in December 2015, she claims county officials told her a religious accommodation available for head coverings applied only to Muslims.

https://baptistnews.com/article/chri.../#.Wmh3R6inGUk

Old 01-24-2018, 05:46 AM

820 posts, read 1,160,951 times
I'm not talking about law, but personal viewpoints in this area. Many in the area scream about got they need to take those rags off their head in school, for drivers licenses etc.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:25 PM

355 posts, read 336,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
^^^Both posts from conservative Christians^^^^

Gotta love how people feel free to speak on things that they have no way of knowing about: what it's like to be someone else.

Living around only like-minded people is pretty boring imho, but I understand how conservatives would think that this is a good thing. Change and difference can be difficult to the conservative mind-set.

I was at the rally on Saturday. Either of you there? Many of the speakers and those in attendance have plenty of personal stories of intolerance right here in Greenville, SC. It happens. That's a fact. And stating that fact shouldn't be controversial or draw personal insults.

Greenville is a good place to live. However, there are plenty of intolerant, conservative, Christians in positions of power, especially in the workplace, who can make your life difficult if you are not a conservative Christian. I experienced this. My wife experienced this. Plenty of people I know have experienced this. End of story.
Art,

Why does it matter that "both posts are from conservative Christians"? Should such people not be allowed to discuss topics like these, have a view different from your own, or talk about their impressions of the area just as freely as you have done?

No where in my post did I talk about what it's like to be someone else. How do you know I don't know what its like "to be the other person"? Do you know my life story?

I don't personally just live around only like minded people, perhaps that was a general comment you were making for everyone to think about? I guess you have decided to retract your many admonitions in threads for newcomers to "seek out like minded people" so they will not be ostracized since you value change and difference?

I have told you before that I am very sorry to hear about how some of my fellow conservatives and Christians have treated you and those you know- no excuse! Those are facts, and I do not think I have personally attacked you. If I have I certainly apologize! I also stated some facts in my post, and it's also a fact that your experiences aren't true for everyone who is not a white, heterosexual, middle-class, conservative, Christian male. For some yes, not for
all.

Btw, I hope this does not read as argumentative, that is not my intent at all!

Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 AM

106 posts, read 73,716 times
You won't want to come here. Move to NYC, Seattle, Denver or Vegas.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:14 PM

214 posts, read 87,274 times
I grew up in Greenville in the '90s, and it was all pretty diverse. Plenty of people went to church every Sunday but were very secular otherwise. I went to school with Jews, Greek Orthodox, etc. Self proclaimed atheists were rare back then but no one got too worked up. It seems like with Fluor etc in town there were numerous engineer types around who were even less religious. This was in the city limits of Greenville in a middle class and upper middle class milieu.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:07 PM

216 posts, read 82,509 times
I would have to say this area is bad for people who are anything other than rich white people who are straight and Christian. The brand of Christianity that nitpick and browbeats you to death. You will never be as perfect as they are and they do not ever let you forget it. I have lived here since 2003 and there is so much ugliness from Christians.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:14 AM

215 posts, read 235,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduringwone View Post
I would have to say this area is bad for people who are anything other than rich white people who are straight and Christian. The brand of Christianity that nitpick and browbeats you to death. You will never be as perfect as they are and they do not ever let you forget it. I have lived here since 2003 and there is so much ugliness from Christians.
LOL! Is this post some kind of joke? I've lived here since 1999 and have never experienced any such thing. I'm straight and white, but certainly not rich. And while I consider myself a Christian, I don't belong to any church nor do I attend one on a regular basis. I've never had anyone badger me about it, or even ask me if I go to church. I don't know what part of Greenville you live in, but it sounds utterly foreign to the part I live in.

That said, if someone is concerned about moving here (or anywhere else for that matter) because they are afraid they won't like it, then why come here? There are too many other places to live in this large and diverse country. If you're a non-religious person, and living around other non-religious people is important to you, then why not move to a city that is known for being non-religious? Why move to a place where you think you'll be unhappy? Life is too short.

I never understand why I always see people posting about how they want to move to Greenville, but they heard negative things about it. What is it that is attracting people to Greenville if not the people? Is is the economy? If so, the people that helped build that economy are the ones that live here, so you can't say I like your economy but I hate your beliefs. Is it the weather? There are plenty of other warm weather cities that super liberal and non-religious. Austin TX comes to mind, as does tons of cities in CA.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:08 PM

581 posts, read 504,559 times
Dan
Preach on man!! Nice to know I'm not the only one recognizing the rich absurdity of some of those sorts of inquiries. It's sometimes hard to even come up with a serious response. Heck... You'd think the Baptist Convention holds with burning at the stake and the Presbyterians have a monopoly on tar and feather events.

Then, when these guys arrive, they wonder why they never experience the "southern hospitality" they seem to consider their due. Preconceptions like these are not conducive to making a successful transition to the new neighborhood, folks. Before you rent the Uhaul, you need to understand, its usually not our local cultural bias that is working against the normal flow of things here. You really do need to at least try and meet us half way.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
LOL! Is this post some kind of joke? I've lived here since 1999 and have never experienced any such thing. I'm straight and white, but certainly not rich. And while I consider myself a Christian, I don't belong to any church nor do I attend one on a regular basis. I've never had anyone badger me about it, or even ask me if I go to church. I don't know what part of Greenville you live in, but it sounds utterly foreign to the part I live in.

That said, if someone is concerned about moving here (or anywhere else for that matter) because they are afraid they won't like it, then why come here? There are too many other places to live in this large and diverse country. If you're a non-religious person, and living around other non-religious people is important to you, then why not move to a city that is known for being non-religious? Why move to a place where you think you'll be unhappy? Life is too short.

I never understand why I always see people posting about how they want to move to Greenville, but they heard negative things about it. What is it that is attracting people to Greenville if not the people? Is is the economy? If so, the people that helped build that economy are the ones that live here, so you can't say I like your economy but I hate your beliefs. Is it the weather? There are plenty of other warm weather cities that super liberal and non-religious. Austin TX comes to mind, as does tons of cities in CA.
No, it is not a joke. Did I say it was a joke? How extremely rude of you to imply that I am. The op asked and I answered. Don't like my answer, that is your problem, not mine. This has been my experience of living here in Greenville, SC. If I could move, I would. I would love out of the Bible belt and away from so much hypocrisy. Just because your experience is not someone else's, gives you no reason to try to discredit them. Grow up.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Dan
Preach on man!! Nice to know I'm not the only one recognizing the rich absurdity of some of those sorts of inquiries. It's sometimes hard to even come up with a serious response. Heck... You'd think the Baptist Convention holds with burning at the stake and the Presbyterians have a monopoly on tar and feather events.

Then, when these guys arrive, they wonder why they never experience the "southern hospitality" they seem to consider their due. Preconceptions like these are not conducive to making a successful transition to the new neighborhood, folks. Before you rent the Uhaul, you need to understand, its usually not our local cultural bias that is working against the normal flow of things here. You really do need to at least try and meet us half way.
How "appropriate" for you to encourage this poster to preach on. People can ask questions about a location and not to be browbeat anyone. There are pros and cons to anyplace and there is nothing wrong with asking.

I am from the deeper south and I did not expect so called southern hospitality, neither do a lot of people.You are making wrong assumptions.if you don't like people asking questions on a board such as City Data, I would suggest you stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or