U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 04:03 AM

215 posts, read 236,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduringwone View Post
No, it is not a joke. Did I say it was a joke? How extremely rude of you to imply that I am. The op asked and I answered. Don't like my answer, that is your problem, not mine. This has been my experience of living here in Greenville, SC. If I could move, I would. I would love out of the Bible belt and away from so much hypocrisy. Just because your experience is not someone else's, gives you no reason to try to discredit them. Grow up.
Hold up a second here. You just made a post where you denigrated an entire community of people based on your experiences and you have the nerve to call others rude? I simply responded to you by saying that your characterization seemed over-the-top characterization (i.e. a "joke") based on my own nearly 20 years of experiences.

Seems to me that perhaps you are the one that is a little overly sensitive here. Perhaps that explains why you think people are "nitpicking and browbeating" when in fact they may just be attempting to engage in normal conversation with you, or trying to challenge your world view. Challenging someone's worldview is what happens all the time on liberal college campuses or in liberal cities. So don't act like that's something unique to Greenville or the south.

You really expect people on this board to believe that you have a massive number of people in Greenville coming up to your face and telling you that you will be as perfect as they are? Come on, stop with the smears of Greenville.

And do tell, why can you not move? Is someone holding you prisoner here? And tell us where you would move to where that you believe is so much better than Greenville and why.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:59 AM

470 posts, read 700,176 times
Quote:
I would have to say this area is bad for people who are anything other than rich white people who are straight and Christian. The brand of Christianity that nitpick and browbeats you to death. You will never be as perfect as they are and they do not ever let you forget it. I have lived here since 2003 and there is so much ugliness from Christians.
I can only speak for myself but I could not disagree more. Been here for almost 9 years and it literally has never happened to me. I take the live and let live approach and avoid negative people. Works well.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:42 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,572,696 times
Quote:
The brand of Christianity that nitpick and browbeats you to death. You will never be as perfect as they are and they do not ever let you forget it. I have lived here since 2003 and there is so much ugliness from Christians.
Whatever "brand" you are talking about apparently is not following the teachings of Christ and his gospel. There are a lot of people who say or think they are "Christians" and give true, loving followers of Christ a bad name.

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:51 AM

4,539 posts, read 6,392,519 times
This definitely hasn't been my experience. I hate that it isn't working for the few that are having trouble here, and I sincerely hope you can find what you're looking for.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:12 AM

583 posts, read 508,625 times
EnD
You make the all too common mistake of assuming a comment was addressed directly at you or your personal problems. Understand, I really don't care what your experience has been. It's simply not all about you. However, it does seem that I've touched a rather sensitive spot..... somewhere way down deep inside. Long experience says it's usually the bitten dog that hollers loudest. As to my continued presence on the forum.... get used to it or feel free to make use of the ignore list feature.... LOL

Old 02-02-2018, 04:13 AM

82 posts, read 63,640 times
I am non religious and have found the issue to be not one at all. Those that have had altercations makes me wonder why... is it perhaps you are not as open minded towards your peers as you expect them to be to you? There are the random fanatics but they are far and few between. And they are in every area, not just "bible thumping Greenville". I am from Florida and experienced far more adversity to my beliefs there than I ever have here.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:08 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,734,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioddy View Post
I am non religious and have found the issue to be not one at all. Those that have had altercations makes me wonder why... is it perhaps you are not as open minded towards your peers as you expect them to be to you?
SOOO sick and tired of being blamed on here for what happened to us.

Is putting a Buddha on our porch or desk being close-minded?

Is sitting in a cubicle doing my our jobs being close-minded?

If someone asks me about having accepting Jesus as my savior, am I supposed to lie?

Is someone refusing to talk to me, or answer my phone calls, or emails because I don't "believe" an "altercation?"

My wife is TERRIFIED of talking politics or religion at work, and she experienced some crazy hateful consequences from the simple act of having a small buddha on her desk.

PLEASE STOP BLAMING THE VICTIMS and accept our experiences for what they were.

Reminds of comments like, "Well, I know she was raped, but did you see what she was wearing? She was asking for trouble!"

Last edited by Art123; 02-02-2018 at 06:29 AM..

Old 02-02-2018, 08:43 AM

218 posts, read 83,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
EnD
You make the all too common mistake of assuming a comment was addressed directly at you or your personal problems. Understand, I really don't care what your experience has been. It's simply not all about you. However, it does seem that I've touched a rather sensitive spot..... somewhere way down deep inside. Long experience says it's usually the bitten dog that hollers loudest. As to my continued presence on the forum.... get used to it or feel free to make use of the ignore list feature.... LOL
Back at you.

Also, stop projecting.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:04 AM

218 posts, read 83,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioddy View Post
I am non religious and have found the issue to be not one at all. Those that have had altercations makes me wonder why... is it perhaps you are not as open minded towards your peers as you expect them to be to you? There are the random fanatics but they are far and few between. And they are in every area, not just "bible thumping Greenville". I am from Florida and experienced far more adversity to my beliefs there than I ever have here.
I am from Florida and never experienced it there. Does that negate what you just said? Not fanatical, just sanctimonious.

Blame the victim. That is what we do in America. Eye roll.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:32 PM

82 posts, read 63,640 times
Eh...? Art123 I did not read all nine pages of this post and honestly do not know what you are talking about, nor why you believed I singled you out? And what do you mean by "believing an altercation"? By altercation I meant simply by its definition... that there was a disagreement between the parties. Politics and religion are the top most topics people should avoid, so it would make sense why your wife would be reluctant to participate in them.

Not sure why y'all are getting defensive as I didn't blame anyone for anything, simply sharing my own experience. That's why we're here, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or