U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 PM

122 posts, read 96,352 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have posted a lot on city data about places I find that I'd like to consider a move to. So I've looked at Raleigh, NC, Richmond, VA, DC, Frederick, MD, Orlando, Fl area, Tampa, Fl, West Chester, PA. I loved Raleigh the best, but I was going to pick Richmond because I like a little more people around than Raleigh offered plus love mountains. I'm moving from a crime ridden city in NJ. I can't wait to move! I'm going to be graduating with a BSN this May!

My friend visited Greenville last week, and I saw her pics on snapchat...and really liked what I saw but I've never visited myself. So far I've looked up housing costs (they are really inexpensive for beautiful houses!), hospitals, salaries, downtown, parks, and health stats.

I'm moving with my mom who has interestingly (but a little stressful) left it up to ME to decide where we move to! Her conditions are: south of NJ, and not further west of PA.

However, she is very liberal but quiet about politics, she is also NOT interested in Church/God/Bible/etc and when I mentioned Greenville her first thought was being in the Bible Belt. I personally don't care and am Catholic, but I'd hope she could still make friends here. What are your thoughts on that please? Since I've never been to a city like Greenville, I don't know what to expect or think haha!

My personal moving criteria is that I want lots of people around, dog friendly, and lots to do outdoors.

Thank you in advance!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:08 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,392,519 times
Yes. I'm non religious. Although I came from a religious family.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:18 AM

278 posts, read 194,263 times
Have you considered Asheville, NC? In the mountains, and decidedly liberal. It's totally different than other southern cities. As for Greenville, I think you'd be fine, especially in Greenville itself. The outlying areas are much more religious and conservative.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 AM

5,799 posts, read 6,572,696 times
Of course you and your mom would be welcomed in Greenville. In my neighborhood, I am surrounded by neighbors who don't go to church and they are friendly, good people and happy to live here.

Not saying that you may never run into a person who may ask you about your faith (or "where do you go to church?"), but it's not something you need to worry about and it's probably rare. Just say, "I'm not interested, but thank you"... and move on.

Best of luck on your decision, I think you would like it here.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:22 AM

1,885 posts, read 1,843,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Of course you and your mom would be welcomed in Greenville. In my neighborhood, I am surrounded by neighbors who don't go to church and they are friendly, good people and happy to live here.

Not saying that you may never run into a person who may ask you about your faith (or "where do you go to church?"), but it's not something you need to worry about and it's probably rare. Just say, "I'm not interested, but thank you"... and move on.

Best of luck on your decision, I think you would like it here.
This.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:38 AM

557 posts, read 703,863 times
Greenville has what you and your Mom are looking for and more. We welcome you both with open arms and wish you the best . There are plenty of both religious and non religious groups in Greenville. A little Google search and you'll find it.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:52 AM
jac

385 posts, read 882,383 times
You should visit. You stated that you chose Richmond over Raleigh because there were more people around. Greenville has far fewer people than Raleigh.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:24 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,330,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
Hey all,

I have posted a lot on city data about places I find that I'd like to consider a move to. So I've looked at Raleigh, NC, Richmond, VA, DC, Frederick, MD, Orlando, Fl area, Tampa, Fl, West Chester, PA. I loved Raleigh the best, but I was going to pick Richmond because I like a little more people around than Raleigh offered plus love mountains. I'm moving from a crime ridden city in NJ. I can't wait to move! I'm going to be graduating with a BSN this May!

My friend visited Greenville last week, and I saw her pics on snapchat...and really liked what I saw but I've never visited myself. So far I've looked up housing costs (they are really inexpensive for beautiful houses!), hospitals, salaries, downtown, parks, and health stats.

I'm moving with my mom who has interestingly (but a little stressful) left it up to ME to decide where we move to! Her conditions are: south of NJ, and not further west of PA.

However, she is very liberal but quiet about politics, she is also NOT interested in Church/God/Bible/etc and when I mentioned Greenville her first thought was being in the Bible Belt. I personally don't care and am Catholic, but I'd hope she could still make friends here. What are your thoughts on that please? Since I've never been to a city like Greenville, I don't know what to expect or think haha!

My personal moving criteria is that I want lots of people around, dog friendly, and lots to do outdoors.

Thank you in advance!
Coming from Miami, FL, being Jewish (non-religious or practicing) when people heard I was moving to "The Bible Belt" they warned jokingly, of course (I hope), I'd best be careful about burning crosses on my lawn. Maybe waaaay long ago, but GVL is a different place than way back then. It's VERY friendly, and as someone mentioned, somewhere along the way, someone is bound to ask you "What church do you go to?" It happened when I moved here but after the first year it was funny, but no one really asked that question any more. I think it comes with not looking like you are a lost puppy finding you way home?

My thoughts of your Mom making friends...that is going to be totally up to her and her wanting, and willingness to try to make friends. There is no Welcome Wagon here. When I moved here I knew no one, lived on a street with 5 homes, all older people. I had to make the effort to make friends, without a job where people meet, no kids in school to meet other Moms, and no religious affiliation - all ways to meet people, the odds were stacked against me and I knew it was up to me to make friends, and friends I've made and my life is fulfilled and happy with great friends. I have more friends I do things with here than I did in Miami! Meetup is a great way to meet people who have similar interests. Tell your mother to look on there and find some groups that interest her and join when you are getting close to moving to wherever you decide to move. BTW, how old is your Mom if you don't mind me asking?

So many people want to move to GVL because it's so great, but GVL isn't great for everyone. The best thing you can do is come visit for a few days, experience GVL, take a tour of all of GVL and see for yourself. This is not a fast passed area, if you are use to being a comicozzie pilot on the roads, leave those bad habits behind, you don't need those skills here. This is the south, things are more slow paced than they are in the big cities. People are polite here. There's a learning curve that comes fast and easy, it's all based on manners.

Do your homework. Search the boards here on CD for info. Look at the numerous threads of the past of questions and answers that have been answered time and time again.

I love where I live and would never live anywhere else, but like I said, GVL isn't for everyone.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:25 AM

144 posts, read 96,113 times
It's become better since My parents moved there in the 90s. My mom got so sick of being asked what church they go to that she just said she was Jewish. Shut the people up real fast. It is the bible belt for a reason. Just stay away from Bob Jones University. HAHA

Old 01-19-2018, 09:29 AM

2,384 posts, read 2,136,253 times
Greenville is significantly smaller than either Raleigh or Richmond. You should probably visit several of these cities with everyone involved in the move to gauge which has the right fit.

Greenville is pretty conservative and religious but you can certainly be happy here even if you are neither of those things. There is a significant population of non-conservative and non-religious people. If you are someone that gets offended if people ask what church you go to or if you expect liberal representation in government, you are likely to be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or