U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:19 AM

5 posts, read 2,003 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!
I have been following this page for a LONG time, I am excited to finally post.
A little background: I am married with 2 kids (ages 7 & 2). I will be moving with my sister, we are both RNs.
My husband is finishing school and will join us after he graduates with his computer science degree. We currently live in South Dakota and I am ready to live somewhere warmer with more culture and more activities.
We visited in November 2014 and I have wanted to move there ever since. I am planning a trip this April to make sure that it is still what we are looking for, then hoping to move in mid-July.

We have rented an airbnb in a neighborhood that I think might be where we would eventually like to live.
I think the Paris Elementary or Lake Forest Elementary area appeals to me. (can anyone tell me about these schools from personal experience.)

What are the things that we MUST do? We plan to drive around a lot and just see the area and neighborhoods. What did others do during their scouting trips? We are getting our itinerary ready and I want to be as prepared as possible. Thank you for any direction and advice. I look forward to joining you all soon!
-Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 08:08 AM

19,961 posts, read 18,810,763 times
Both Paris Elementary School, 32 East Belvue Road, Taylors, South Carolina 29687-2008, and Lake Forest Elementary School, 16 Berkshire Avenue, Greenville, South Carolina 29615-1502, both in Greenville County Schools, and the areas around them are good.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:10 AM

128 posts, read 150,324 times
One thing I didn't do when i moved here, but wished in retrospect.... go to the area you want to live during rush hour (7:30 am, 5 pm, and simply drive... see if the traffic is acceptable to you. Use the "Waze" app to see if you can find the shortcuts? Sounds silly, but there are some areas around Greenville that are bottlenecks.

Also, look for sidewalks where you want to live.... there are areas where the city is trying to add them.

Places to visit: Swamp River Trail, Cleveland Park, and of course, downtown.

Welcome!

Old 01-21-2018, 04:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 6,301,101 times
You have little ones. I would take them to have some fun at the Children's Museum

The Children's Museum of the Upstate | Greenville, South Carolina

As you enjoy a stroll downtown, let them find the mice on main. Falls park is a must...not sure if it will be warm enough for the kids to go in the water jets they have that come out of the ground.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 PM

355 posts, read 336,343 times
Hello Shelly. I don't have a lot to add from a "scouting" perspective but just wanted to respond. April is a great time to visit, though it will probably seem hot and humid to you. I dare say it will give you a chance to test wether or not you have any allergy symptoms as that will likely be the height of it for our area.
I truly think this is a great place to raise kids, I have two small ones myself. This is not a major city, so crime, while present, is not rampant and you can feel pretty comfortable about taking your kids on outings and downtown and having them go to school without too much fear. It's not perfect, of course, crime does happen, bullying does happen in school, there are drugs, etc, but it's not near to the level of big cities and many places around the country.
There are a lot of kid friendly places, many of the libraries have weekly story/social programs that would be appropriate for your 2 y/o. The children's museum is excellent, though a little pricey for a one time visit. We get a yearly membership, well worth it. Some great parks around; Falls, Cleveland, the new Cancer Survivors` park that now connects the two, and Linky Stone park are all downtown.
Lots of family friendly festivals throughout the year; Artispere on April, Greek Festival, Scottish Games, 4th of July, Fall for Greenville, Pumpkintown Festival, Boo in the Zoo, Parades, just to scratch the surface. We have taken our kids to all these, and the down town ice rink and Festival of Trees are also a lot of fun in December. Even more impressive are the outdoor opportunities. We go to a lot of waterfalls, state parks, and short hikes with our little ones.
I did want to mention that my wife is an RN, and there are lots of opportunities around. She has had some difficulty at certain places with cattiness, and there seems to be quite a bit of drama in the nursing field, but I think that goes with the territory unfortunately.
One other word of warning, I've been in S Dakota in July, so I know you know about heat, but prepare yourself for the humidity! And it will stick around much longer than you are used to. You'll probably like the fall color though. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2018, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 2,003 times
Thank you SO much for your replies! I will not be bringing my kids during this trip. We did do many of the kids things when we were there in November 2014. I definitely plan on getting a yearly membership to the Childrens Museum. We loved the Mice on Main and the zoo was ok, for an occasional trip.
I am from Nebraska (where there is humidity), but have been away from it for quite awhile. I am sure the humidity will be one of my biggest hurtles to get used to.
Great point about the allergies and driving around during rush hour! I will definitely pay attention to those areas while I am there.
Are there any clinics that everyone loves, I think that I would prefer not to work in the hospital setting once we get there.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:02 AM

924 posts, read 1,285,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Hello Shelly. I don't have a lot to add from a "scouting" perspective but just wanted to respond. April is a great time to visit, though it will probably seem hot and humid to you. I dare say it will give you a chance to test wether or not you have any allergy symptoms as that will likely be the height of it for our area.
I truly think this is a great place to raise kids, I have two small ones myself. This is not a major city, so crime, while present, is not rampant and you can feel pretty comfortable about taking your kids on outings and downtown and having them go to school without too much fear. It's not perfect, of course, crime does happen, bullying does happen in school, there are drugs, etc, but it's not near to the level of big cities and many places around the country.
There are a lot of kid friendly places, many of the libraries have weekly story/social programs that would be appropriate for your 2 y/o. The children's museum is excellent, though a little pricey for a one time visit. We get a yearly membership, well worth it. Some great parks around; Falls, Cleveland, the new Cancer Survivors` park that now connects the two, and Linky Stone park are all downtown.
Lots of family friendly festivals throughout the year; Artispere on April, Greek Festival, Scottish Games, 4th of July, Fall for Greenville, Pumpkintown Festival, Boo in the Zoo, Parades, just to scratch the surface. We have taken our kids to all these, and the down town ice rink and Festival of Trees are also a lot of fun in December. Even more impressive are the outdoor opportunities. We go to a lot of waterfalls, state parks, and short hikes with our little ones.
I did want to mention that my wife is an RN, and there are lots of opportunities around. She has had some difficulty at certain places with cattiness, and there seems to be quite a bit of drama in the nursing field, but I think that goes with the territory unfortunately.
One other word of warning, I've been in S Dakota in July, so I know you know about heat, but prepare yourself for the humidity! And it will stick around much longer than you are used to. You'll probably like the fall color though. Good luck!
All youíve said is very good info but Artisphere is always in May, not April. We usually miss it because itís the same weekend as our anniversary and we are out of town.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:52 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,121,013 times
Too bad you aren't coming during Artisphere or the Greek Festival, both of which are in May.

The weather in April is usually very nice around this area. It's warm but not hot yet. There is a fair amount of rain that time of year but if we have sunny weather, it is usually a good time of year to be outside. I don't know how long you plan to visit, but if you like outdoor activities, I'd put Falls Park, the Furman campus, Paris Mountain, and some of the surrounding state parks on your list to visit if you have time.

The SC State School Report cards are a useful reference to start your research on local schools: https://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/

Old 01-22-2018, 03:56 PM

11,797 posts, read 26,716,266 times
The Skunk Music Festival is in April. Albino Skunkfest Music Festival | Americana, Bluegrass, & More There's also Downtown Alive on Thursdays and Main St Fridays. The farmer's market is downtown on Saturday mornings. There's a craft beer festival April 21. Greer goes Global on April 14.
http://whns.eviesays.com/?/event/722...ional-festival https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tct-6th...aff=erelexpmlt Mutt Strut April 28. http://www.ghsmuttstrut.com/ I am sure there are plenty other events as well.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:54 PM

3,059 posts, read 1,593,469 times
4th annual STEAMfest (STEM) is downtown Greenville Saturday April 7th, lot of schools/groups that focus on STEM are represented there, drone racing, 3d printing, etc. More: https://imagineupstate.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or