U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 07:58 AM

1,861 posts, read 1,820,190 times

Advertisements

It's really not hard to learn, Eldemila. harder to get good at but just to play for fun not at all. It is Congregation Beth Israel here in Greenville; they just started a group for members of the Sisterhood. I had planned to play but they scheduled it for Monday afternoon- not a good time for us working folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 02:27 PM

77 posts, read 86,500 times
I just noticed that Life Wise (through Bon Secours) is offering three, 3 hr lessons for $35 at Brookdale Cleveland Park, starting Feb 7th. Contact info: Barbara Berger, 843-991-0371 or mahjteacher@aol.com

Old 01-24-2018, 04:23 PM

4,850 posts, read 6,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
It's really not hard to learn, Eldemila. harder to get good at but just to play for fun not at all. It is Congregation Beth Israel here in Greenville; they just started a group for members of the Sisterhood. I had planned to play but they scheduled it for Monday afternoon- not a good time for us working folks.
Got it, only available for the Sisterhood members, of which I am not. I want to get a good grasp on this game and go head-to-head with my Mom who's been playing this for over 50 years. She HATES losing at Mah Jongg!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrb2011 View Post
I just noticed that Life Wise (through Bon Secours) is offering three, 3 hr lessons for $35 at Brookdale Cleveland Park, starting Feb 7th. Contact info: Barbara Berger, 843-991-0371 or mahjteacher@aol.com
Cool! Thanks for that info rrb2011. Ummm....I just noticed, this place is a senior living facility. I'm not there yet! Anyhow, I found that Life Wise site through the hospital, but there is nothing listed on their web calendar for that event or date. I will try to contact the person above.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:26 AM

I actually think the location must be convenient for the instructor and not for people living at the senior facility. Life Wise is for adults 55 and older, but I'm not even sure if there is an age limit for the lessons.

Also, there is a Mah Jongg Meetup, Southern Mah Jongg at meetup.com

Old 01-25-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I actually think the location must be convenient for the instructor and not for people living at the senior facility. Life Wise is for adults 55 and older, but I'm not even sure if there is an age limit for the lessons.

Also, there is a Mah Jongg Meetup, Southern Mah Jongg at meetup.com
Yes, I found that group the other day. I signed up but won't be going until I have/get more experience. It's a bit far, so hoping something will come around that will be closer to home (Greer).

Old 01-30-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Do you know if there are any people who play outside the sisterhood? Would you be interested in playing if any games were during non-working hours?? Would they let a MOTT come play without being a member of the Temple/Sisterhood??

I've played twice, got the concept down but figuring out what play your going to do is the hard part, and not being fast, but I'm learning.

Quote:
Thanks again for this info. I actually contacted her and will be sending her a check today. I'm learning, but it's with others who are rusty, or other newbies and I'd rather learn from someone who really knows there stuff. She's been teaching Mah Jongg for 15 years, playing for 45. Of course, if my Mom knew what I was up to she would teach me for free

For anyone else interested, the classes are from 1pm-4pm on Wed., Feb 7th, 14th and 28th. Se will also be providing everyone with a 2017 card which is good until the 2018 card comes out end of March/beginning April.

Hoping to find a group to play with once I know all I need to know. I was 2 tiles away from declaring Mah Jongg yesterday!!!

Old 01-31-2018, 04:54 PM

I've sent check and committed to the classes. The teacher said I am the 6th person to sign up and pay, so that's promising that there will be enough people. She said the place where she will be teaching is hoping to have regular games being played there.

I played 5 games up in Hendersonville yesterday. I've got the idea of the game down, now just to get pointers and a little more background on the game and how best to play the hands on the card - this is the hardest part of it, I think.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:53 PM

1,861 posts, read 1,820,190 times
This sounds great! Unfortunately (and fortunately) I have become extremely busy with work in the last few months so there is probably no time slot that I could commit to. Have fun!

Old 02-05-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
This sounds great! Unfortunately (and fortunately) I have become extremely busy with work in the last few months so there is probably no time slot that I could commit to. Have fun!
Maybe in the future!

Played today...got mah jongg for the first time...then got it again!!!

Old 02-06-2018, 03:50 AM

For those to be fortunate to be 55 and older, the Ray Hopkins Senior City, in Mauldin has a few Mah Jongg groups, with one being for beginners. I was actually checking them out for their yoga and tai chi classes but it looks like they offer a wide range of classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area