U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,922,177 times

Advertisements

Economy Inn, located at 3905 Augusta Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-1337, the northeast quadrant of Augusta Road and Chalmers Road in the City of Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina, has been condemned for building code violations.

I recall Economy Inn previously being a Days Inn.

Further reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 09:38 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I recall Economy Inn previously being a Days Inn.
Back in the early to mid 90's, it was. Wasn't in great condition then, so.. This is not really unexpected.

The other former hotels that I can think of in the area.. Quality Inn at Pleasantburg and 385, demolished for QT.. The Holiday Inn at 25 and 85, which has also been condemned and continues to rot..

There was a Park Inn at White Horse and 85 that still stands and my understanding is some kind of residential facility now

The Ramada Inn on Church street that was converted to condos.

There was also the Kings Court motel just down 25.. It was near Godiva's.. Has been demolished.. Perhaps this lot? https://goo.gl/maps/iGUrb53kSJF2 Seems it was right around that area.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:56 AM

Quality Inn, 540 North Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, South Carolina 29607-2130, previously Comfort Inn, was in another trade area. I did not notice anything bad about the location. The operator may have received a nice offer from QuikTrip. Quality Inn closed and was demolished. QuikTrip #1105, 548 North Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, South Carolina 29607-2130, opened afterward.

The former Holiday Inn, 4295 Augusta Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-1320, was operational in April 2012. I wonder if the location is salvageable, or if it has entered the stage of beyond repair.

King's Court Motel, 5807 Augusta Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-2744, was in operation as of February 2008. It was closed and demolished as of April 2012.

Master's Inn, 24 Bruce Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-4836, is now Turning Point of Greenville, a recovery center for men.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:07 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,187,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Quality Inn, 540 North Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, South Carolina 29607-2130, previously Comfort Inn, was in another trade area. I did not notice anything bad about the location. The operator may have received a nice offer from QuikTrip. Quality Inn closed and was demolished. QuikTrip #1105, 548 North Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, South Carolina 29607-2130, opened afterward.
I thought the building had been condemned because the owner refused to do any repairs while people were living there or something?? Maybe that was a different location Im thinking of....

Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 AM

I recall another Quality Inn location at 1314 South Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-1331.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:34 AM

200 posts, read 201,936 times
Did this hotel (or the nearby Traveler's Inn) used to be a Howard Johnson? My father says he seems to remember a location there, but for some reason I thought it was at Laurens Rd/385 that later turned into a Japanese restaurant where a truck crashed around 1997ish, killing a couple of diners that had been on a business trip from Japan.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:48 AM

That would be Relax Inn site, 107 Duvall Drive, Greenville, South Carolina 29607-3738. The site was demolished to make way for EchoPark. The site has been graded, but no new construction has proceeded.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:54 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
Did this hotel (or the nearby Traveler's Inn) used to be a Howard Johnson? My father says he seems to remember a location there, but for some reason I thought it was at Laurens Rd/385 that later turned into a Japanese restaurant where a truck crashed around 1997ish, killing a couple of diners that had been on a business trip from Japan.
Someone mentioned that the Red Lobster on N Pleasantburg was at one time a HoJo

I know there was or is a HoJo Express that used to be something out on Laurens Rd down towards 85.

CK mentioned the Masters Inn.. Yeah, I couldn't remember the other name of that hotel.. Hotels tend to change affiliation every so often. If I recall, early 90's it was Masters Inn, then became Park Inn, or perhaps the other way around.

The Quality Inn on South Pleasantburg was a Ramada Inn as well. And whatever that one is at Mauldin Rd and I-85 now, it was a Best Western back in the day.

The former Holiday Inn (then Comfort Inn) at 85 and Augusta is likely too far gone to save. That being said.. The shell of the building is the old 60's style.. It's solid walls between each room, not just drywall.. So, the building's bones are tank-like. But.. The roof is what let go, and now having been 6+ years of water damage happening inside.. It surely hasn't gotten better. Of course, that means cost for demolishing it will be expensive as well.

I do think the site has good value. There should be a good amount of property there that could be bought up. Not only the old hotel site, but the old drive in site and the former Bojangles and gas station fronting Augusta. Oh, and the old Waffle House.

Not sure what could go there, but that could be a start at redeveloping the south end there which.. I have mentioned is something I certainly think needs to be done. If someone were to do something nice with that site.. Then Publix/Walmart/whatever took over the old Community Cash site further down Augusta.. That would probably go a long way to getting things moving..

Here's a few screenshots of the property in 1994 and 2016

https://www.screencast.com/t/23MaWt9VzGq

and

https://www.screencast.com/t/zMXWUvkN

The whole 85/Augusta/Pleasantburg area was redone around 1995 or so.. Pleasantburg used to dump into Augusta up right where Mrs Firecrackers used to be. Now you can see where it runs behind the Holiday Inn Property.. The.. Whatever that hotel and the Spinx has been built as well..

But, that first image is probably right before the whole Drive in property was demolished. It hadn't been a Drive In for a while prior (Someone will no doubt be able to answer when), but had been used as a "Swap Meet"..

Across from the Holiday Inn Property, before the road changes.. There was also a Hardee's and a gas station that was lost when the roads were changed. Hardee's of Greenville #5 if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Labonte18; 01-25-2018 at 03:03 PM..

Old 01-25-2018, 05:17 PM

200 posts, read 201,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Across from the Holiday Inn Property, before the road changes.. There was also a Hardee's and a gas station that was lost when the roads were changed. Hardee's of Greenville #5 if I remember correctly.
There was a Del Taco in that area 1988-1990ish. IIRC, it was on the north east side of 85/Augusta. Not sure when it was first built or when it was closed, but we'd stop there for dinner sometimes during the year we lived in Shelby, NC and were going to spend the weekend in Belton. I know it was gone by the time I started going to Southside High in 94.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:07 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,092,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
There was a Del Taco in that area 1988-1990ish. IIRC, it was on the north east side of 85/Augusta. Not sure when it was first built or when it was closed, but we'd stop there for dinner sometimes during the year we lived in Shelby, NC and were going to spend the weekend in Belton. I know it was gone by the time I started going to Southside High in 94.
Yes. Del taco was right next to the former Holiday Inn there for most of the 80's I remember. I think you can still see the concrete pad it sat on. The drive thru used to be open extremely late and was popular with the late night crowd. It was really good back then and so much better than Taco Bell.

Del Taco also had a location at Haywood Mall when it first opened in the early 80's on the lower level next to JCP. There was an exterior mall entrance there before they added the Dillard's wing in the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or