Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support Greenville County breaking up into two school districts?
Yes, it's too big to only have 1 school district 18 40.00%
No, it's fine. Leave it the way that it is. 27 60.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 08:19 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,258,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
Doing a street view tour of Greenville NC it's a HUGE area with a lot of differences for one county. People are too lazy these days to get a good comprehension so will ignore most of your links plus most folks are on phones so it's a lot harder to see on a tiny screen and whatever they call a "keyboard".
There is irony in someone complaining about people being too lazy to comprehend what they read and then not realizing this is the Greenville SC forum, not NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 09:32 PM

5,996 posts, read 7,054,816 times
Once again, no school tomorrow despite 99% of the roads being clear. It's not fair that kids, teachers and parents are being held hostage due to an infinitesimal portion of the population that is still struggling to get out. It's absurd that my dad who lives in Simpsonville, close to Fountain Inn, and us who live in the Blue Ridge side of Greer share a single school district.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:35 PM

1,841 posts, read 2,741,815 times
The set of clear roads tonight are different than the set of clear roads tomorrow if there is significant freezing. Especially with rain water oozing across roads in spots.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:09 PM

825 posts, read 1,116,060 times
All 7 districts in Spartanburg County are closed on Tuesday as well. Not really sure why you think anything would be different if Greenville was broken up.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:35 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,579,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Once again, no school tomorrow despite 99% of the roads being clear. It's not fair that kids, teachers and parents are being held hostage due to an infinitesimal portion of the population that is still struggling to get out. It's absurd that my dad who lives in Simpsonville, close to Fountain Inn, and us who live in the Blue Ridge side of Greer share a single school district.
What issue does a two district Greenville solve?

I am not being facetious in asking: outside of how snow days are apportioned, what other issues do you have with a single district?

Old 12-11-2018, 04:53 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,729,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Not this silly discussion again. Give it up!

Old 12-11-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
The set of clear roads tonight are different than the set of clear roads tomorrow if there is significant freezing. Especially with rain water oozing across roads in spots.
But you're making my point for me. All the way up in Northern Greenville County past TR and The Cliffs, where 0.0019% of the population lives; icy roads, sure. In Simpsonville and Ft. Inn and Mauldin where a lot more of the population of Greenville County resides, no icy roads. Why should the parents, teachers and kids be held hostage and have to rearrange their entire schedule due to a few people being "stuck"?

Old 12-11-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Not this silly discussion again. Give it up!
So here's the thing...sometimes in life, people will have opinions that differ from your own. Their opinion may be just as valid as yours and pitching a hissy fit online doesn't negate their opinion.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
What issue does a two district Greenville solve?

I am not being facetious in asking: outside of how snow days are apportioned, what other issues do you have with a single district?
Greenville County is HUGE geographically speaking, as well as population wise for SC. I live in what is known as the "Blue Ridge" area of Greer, but there's still 12 miles more north of me that is still Greenville County. My dad lives in Simpsonville near the border of Ft. Inn. From the northern most point of the county in Chestnut Springs to the southern most in Princeton on the border of Laurens County is 56.5 miles. Often times it will be as much as a 10-12 degree variation between where I live and my dad lives and the weather itself can be entirely different. There is no reason whatsoever that such a large expanse of land should be under a single school district. Kids in the southern part of the county are held hostage to the weather in the northern part and it happens every single year. Spartnburg County, a much smaller county, both population and area wise has 5 or 6 districts, I believe.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ches...2!2d34.4970603

Old 12-11-2018, 08:55 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,258,237 times
My understanding about schools being closed today is that it was primarily due to power outages. Splitting the district in two won't solve much - as pointed out by others, Spartanburg has all 7 districts closed today.

One option that I think more schools should consider is the use of "virtual" school during snow days as they are doing in one of the Anderson districts starting this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area