Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 AM

354 posts, read 1,077,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Have you found no valuable information on this forum then? That would be a major disappointment, since it is the only reason I post firsthand information here.
Skyliner, I think she is just upset and venting also. It's really hard for some people to ignore rude comments and to not lower yourself to that level of communication.

I want to thank you myself for all the information you have posted, and photos along with others on this forum. I have filtered through the rude people and decided to only take the opinions seriously of the people who make sense and act in a mature way on this forum. You are one of those people, so please don't be discouraged. Your posts are extremely helpful.......and helped me fall in love with Greenville! Keep up the good work!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:15 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
I think what people need to realize is that these are basically chat rooms. take what people say with a grain of salt. if you find someone who appears to be helpful, send them a private message. that is what they are there for.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:56 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronV23 View Post
It has nothing to do with culture. You are either a nice/friendly person or you are not. I grew up in Pittsburgh(The North) and everyone was nice, waved and let you into traffic. I moved to Orlando(The South) in 98 and found that nobody waved and try to get out in traffic I dare you. The people here are down right mean! This kind of bickering keeps the negative feelings between everyone going. It's not about the north/south, it is about if you are a kind person or not period.
I lived in So. FL for 12 years and it is NOT really the South. Very few southerners live there anymore. It's mostly Cubans and New Yorkers. I venture to guess that Orlando has become the same way. Lots of FL has so many transplants that the state is not Southern except for maybe the Panhandle and northern FL. I've had lots of experience with Northerners in FL and now in Atlanta. I know some lovely upper midwesterners and some nice (but abrupt) New Yorkers. Sure it's a generalization to an extent, but when it affects daily life, you begin to see a trend. I've had many Atlantans tell me how the area has changed over the last 15 or so years--years of many transplants.

And no, I'm not apologizing because I've seen how you, ShabbyChik, have acted on this thread.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:47 PM

22 posts, read 92,181 times
We are orginally from India. I first came to New York city and lived there for some years. Then we moved to Orlando,FL and lived there for two years. Now living in upstate since last May. Of all these places, I like upstate most. Most of the people here are friendly and have excellent manners.Yes there is some people who are rude and racist but we just ignore them. This is the place where you can raise your children. So we just bought a home here.

I find most of the people in this forum are very helpful especially Skyliner, g-man, southerngentleman, Christopherinsc26 ...etc. Thank you all. May God Bless you all.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:59 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
You know what? This is ridiculous. We will no longer be considering Greenville for our home. It matters not whether some of the views expressed here reflect SC society as a whole. Honestly, I find it so offensive just to read it, that I am not willing to take the chance of moving to a place where I may run into you.

I'll say it again...I think some of you are so rude, I can't believe you are allowed to post here at all. I will tell everyone I know who is considering a move, NOT to come to City-Data for information.
Okay... take a deep breath! You are giving us Northerners a bad name... we are supposed to have thick skin and no feelings! Don't be getting all upset because some stranger makes a blanket statement about how we are ruining the south by moving to it. Ive been in the south for 15 years and for every person you meet who hates northerners you will meet ten that don't care where you are from.
I have visited Greenville and I found it very charming and friendly and, for the most part, I find that the people who post on this forum are also friendly and helpful.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,474 times
Hello, I am the wife of SouthernGentleman. I wanted to bring a little perspective to this war that seems to be raging, but first I will list my credentials for my opinions.

My family is originally from VA. Actually we were given land by William Penn way back in the day when we were being persecuted for our religion. It is known today as simply Lancaster, PA and yes my background is Amish and Mennonite on both sides of my family.

I have lived in Phoenix, AZ - Hubbard, OR - Tacoma, WA - Auburn, ME - Oconomowoc, WI - Chicago, IL - Minneapolis, MN - Milwaukee, WI - Boston, MA - Arlington, VA - Annapolis, MD - Jupiter, FL -and now Greenville, SC. The states I have not lived in I have visited (my family was big on us getting to know our entire country first hand). OOOOhhhh except Mississippi - I have yet to travel there for some reason. I have visited all over Canada and Mexico. So, as you can see, I have a little perspective on the basics of this fantastic country of ours.

I would like to say that this argument taking place has been taking place all over the country for the last 20 years or so. Everyone is correct and incorrect in their opinions. Yes, the culture does change when you have an element (not bad) that swamps the current environment that the natives currently reside. Atlanta is a good example of this occurrence. However, it is also very good to continue to have outside opinions and differences enter the mix of people - it keeps up learning and changing.

I understand what people are saying about the perceived rudeness up north. There is a difference of what is construed as civil. But, really what are we talking about? Boston can be one of the coldest places to live when it comes to meeting people, but they are quite different in their perceived snubs than in Chicago. Milwaukee treats people also completely differently as do the natives from Seattle. And the good ol' boy network is alive and well throughout this country, it just has different players everywhere you live.

I understand that people want to keep their ways sacred and that everyone always thinks their town is the best. And for these people perception is law. But, if your truly upset about people being to cold once they arrive to Greenville, then we should inform those around us what manners are. I have held doors for women that were (short and abrupt in nature) and when they do not have the common courtesy to thank me - I in my oh so southern way say "Your Welcome". I even informed one woman who was flabbergasted at my response to her snub that we all show respect to each other with Thank You's. Now I may be a bit brazen with my approach, but really I am quite kind to these individuals. And, if we don't tell people what our expectations are from them in our society how will they ever know? We really have only ourselves to blame if we do not show kindness to newcomers (and that includes a little education of our values when it's necessary).

Now, I am not particularly fond of living in Greenville - but that is because it is the wrong place for me. There is nothing specifically wrong with Greenville, it is just not what I want in a town. And that may have to do with size. I read a book once called the "Power of Place". Basically, it said we are all looking for that place that we belong and that comes with having people that surround us with common interests and goals. This is what we should be looking for.

So, if you have visited this area or any area that you may want to relocate here is my advice. Stay in this area for a week. Go to the grocery stores and look at the food selection (you will be amazed that they carry completely different types of food). Attend a church or social gathering to see what interests them in that area. If you have kids, hang out at a park and see how people respond to your children. Most of all make sure that the area really fits. If it does not, look to your next place on the list and so forth.

This is a message board and really no one knows a thing about any of us. Take peoples opinions with a grain of salt. We do not always have to have something nice to say, but we really must be civil to each other.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:14 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
You know what? This is ridiculous. We will no longer be considering Greenville for our home. It matters not whether some of the views expressed here reflect SC society as a whole. Honestly, I find it so offensive just to read it, that I am not willing to take the chance of moving to a place where I may run into you.

I'll say it again...I think some of you are so rude, I can't believe you are allowed to post here at all. I will tell everyone I know who is considering a move, NOT to come to City-Data for information.
Instead of going off what a few people think, why not just pay yourself a visit sometime and see what the area has to offer first.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,668 times
Good post......"Mrs" Southerngentleman!!
I think I've spoken to you before??? hummm

Not every place is right for everyone. Sounds like a good book you read! LOL
I have lived in many cities and countries myself.....and am currently discerning which city/state best suits my lifestyle, religious beliefs, etc.

I've narrowed it down to South Carolina......(long process, this discerning is! LOL)
Greenville vs Charleston
Both have wonderful things about them........and one of the most important things we have to put at the top of the list is job growth, etc.
So far......Greenville is winning out......so I might not get to be your "neighbour" in Charleston after all! LOL..........but it was certainly nice chatting with you!
Good luck with your new city!! I'm sure you will love it this time!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:44 PM

19 posts, read 41,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I lived in So. FL for 12 years and it is NOT really the South. Very few southerners live there anymore. It's mostly Cubans and New Yorkers. I venture to guess that Orlando has become the same way. Lots of FL has so many transplants that the state is not Southern except for maybe the Panhandle and northern FL. I've had lots of experience with Northerners in FL and now in Atlanta. I know some lovely upper midwesterners and some nice (but abrupt) New Yorkers. Sure it's a generalization to an extent, but when it affects daily life, you begin to see a trend. I've had many Atlantans tell me how the area has changed over the last 15 or so years--years of many transplants.

And no, I'm not apologizing because I've seen how you, ShabbyChik, have acted on this thread.
I am not asking you to apologize, but how have I acted on this thread? I made one post that just stated my opinion.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 AM

35 posts, read 195,583 times
I can empathize with all the different perspectives here. I am from northeast Ohio, my hubby is a southern gentleman from SC. We are as different as night and day. I can be rude, impatient and I talk fast; he has the patience of Job, is sweet and talks verrry slowly. LOL

Many people's attitudes up north are rude, impersonal and cold. I'm from Ohio and I have room to talk. I can fully understand why people in southern cultures would not want us northerners flooding in. On the other hand I also understand why people would welcome outsiders. It does make for a more interesting and vital city when you have a mixture of peoples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area