Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:13 AM

39 posts, read 73,081 times

Advertisements

Looks Like Panera Bread is looking to move into the old Ruby Tuesday Location on Pelham Rd.

Not Sure if this is set in stone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 07:22 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default Milestone Plaza, 3609 Pelham Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29615-5002

This is the first I am knowing of Panera Bread speculated to open a location on Pelham Road.

Panera Bread has added drive thru to freestanding locations. If it does proceed with a location at Milestone Plaza, would the former Ruby Tuesday #3781 be demolished, or completely reconfigured?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
I did not even know that Ruby Tuesday had closed on Pelham Rd. Apparently that brand has struggled in recent years, and there has been a decline in quality and service. They were once very good when owned by Morrison's Cafeteria. Their salad bar was excellent and all toppings and salads were made fresh daily in house. Now it all comes prepackaged in a bag. Ruby Tuesday was recently acquired by the same private investment firm that now operates Frisch's Big Boy, and they have done a very good job revitalizing that iconic brand. Hopefully they will also be successful in upgrading Ruby Tuesday.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
When was Ruby Tuesday owned by Morrison's?

Old 02-12-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
When was Ruby Tuesday owned by Morrison's?
The Knoxville, TN chain was acquired by Morrison's back in the early 1980's. Sometime around the late 90's or early 2000 Morrison's closed its public cafeterias and focused on contract dining at hospitals, nursing homes, and food courts. Ruby Tuesday was split off into its own separate company. And last fall was acquired by NRD investment firm from Atlanta, which also owns Frisch's Big Boy.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:24 AM

And to this day I still miss Morrison's Cafeteria. They were once very good and located in most major malls throughout the Southeast. Today I enjoy K&W Cafeteria, although I have not visited S&S recently. I would like to see more quality cafeterias make a comeback.

And Morrison's sold out to Picadilly Cafeteria and most of those locations have since closed.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 PM

632 posts, read 748,693 times
TylerSc
I like cafeteria service too. Sadly, every one I visit is almost entirely populated by older folk, like me. The absence of younger faces is not a very good indicator for the future of a once popular format. The Cataran on Wade Hampton was a recent positive dining experience. Small, it's a mom and pop cafeteria style restaurant serving hearty good country seasoned home cooking. It doesn't offer a huge variety, like S&S, but it is sufficient for a solid inexpensive meal and seconds are free.

Morrison's was my go to place. Miss them even today.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:35 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,466 times
Tommy’s Ham House is cafeteria style. It’s great food, much better than S&S or K&W. There is a good age mix of customers too. Best of all, breakfast is served all the time.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:21 PM

308 posts, read 270,231 times
This would be good news for those of us on the east side. Anything that negates having to go down to Woodruff or Haywood is very welcome. I noticed Atlanta Bread Co. on Pelham closed earlier and is somewhat similar. However I think they suffered from an awkward location.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:17 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
TylerSc
I like cafeteria service too. Sadly, every one I visit is almost entirely populated by older folk, like me. The absence of younger faces is not a very good indicator for the future of a once popular format. The Cataran on Wade Hampton was a recent positive dining experience. Small, it's a mom and pop cafeteria style restaurant serving hearty good country seasoned home cooking. It doesn't offer a huge variety, like S&S, but it is sufficient for a solid inexpensive meal and seconds are free.

Morrison's was my go to place. Miss them even today.
Golden Corral pretty much killed the cafeteria restaurants. I last ate at Golden Corral 7-8 years ago and the food was pretty nasty back then. I doubt it has improved - we call it the "pig Trough".

I remember the quality of food at most of the cafeteria chains as being much better than Golden Corral quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area