Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:58 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times

Advertisements

My Great Grandmother's house had a site for an outdoor kitchen. In this part of the south, before air conditioning, most cooking was done outside or in a building detached from the main home in the warmer months to avoid building heat inside.

In current times, most people have a deck and a gas grill along with some outdoor dining furniture. We also have a fire pit I built at my house. We cook using the grill pretty much year round but only eat outside in the spring and fall - it's usually too hot in the middle of the summer for it to be enjoyable. The fire pit gets used quite a bit anytime the nighttime temperatures allow us to enjoy sitting by the fire (mostly spring and fall).

I haven't seen many of the elaborate outdoor kitchens like are common in California here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 12:03 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDadio View Post
Northofhere,

I can, and likely will buy/build a BBQ island and/or a smoke shack of sorts, but I am hoping the local experts can provide me with some guidance as to the dos and don'ts of doing so. I have to believe there is a reason why such a set up is rare in SC. There is no shortage of guys cooking tons of meat, cheese, and nuts in several FEET of snow in online smoke/BBQ related forums.

Hopefully its just an equipment intensive hobby that never caught on in the upstate area, but I would be devastated to find out the humidity, building codes, and/or some other as yet unknown deterrents make this all too costly/troublesome to pursue. Which is why I am reaching out to the local experts.

Beyond cost considerations, what building/city code issues would I have to deal with if I set up my BBQ in a screened in porch (with or without a hood)?
Here is one house in Greenville (unfortunately well above your budget) that has a beautiful outdoor kitchen under a covered patio https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...67591603_zpid/ Might give you ideas on doing one in a house you buy.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:35 PM

601 posts, read 458,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Here is one house in Greenville (unfortunately well above your budget) that has a beautiful outdoor kitchen under a covered patio https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...67591603_zpid/ Might give you ideas on doing one in a house you buy.
Seems like conspicuous consumption to me. I guess a lot of well to do people are bored, especially non-working spouses, and arranging stuff like this gives them something to focus on.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:01 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
My Great Grandmother's house had a site for an outdoor kitchen. In this part of the south, before air conditioning, most cooking was done outside or in a building detached from the main home in the warmer months to avoid building heat inside.
Historically, the kitchen in a separate building was also to prevent burning down the main house from a common kitchen fire.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Historically, the kitchen in a separate building was also to prevent burning down the main house from a common kitchen fire.
They also swept the area around her house with brooms down to the bare dirt as a fire prevention measure. By the time I was a kid, they had boxwoods and camellias planted in beds but I was shown pictures of bare dirt around the house which was built out of massive rough hewn Chestnut logs. It had no bathrooms and a sleeping loft for the children. The indoor kitchen was later built into the converted back porch and bathrooms were added with later additions. The original house has an inscription in the cement on the chimney that says "rebuilt 1877" or something similar.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:56 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
I see all this high dollar outdoor patio furniture and cooking stuff in the Costco coupon mailing, and the pictures always have a huge California mountain in the background. I'm guessing this is why it isn't so popular around here:

Bugs - not just on you, but they land on the food while you're cooking
Rain - it rains quite a lot here, which reduces the time you could use the outdoor kitchen, and your expensive stuff gets wet (moldy, worn out) more often.
Humidity & Heat - When it's not raining, it may be less pleasant to sit outside for long periods of time, especially over a hot grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area