Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:23 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times

Advertisements

I am planning to build a new home in Greer and thinking of installing solar panels. My utilities will be through Greer CPW. I heard that Duke energy does not service Greer and neither does Piedmont Gas.

One thing I heard is that Greer CPW does not allow net metering. What I mean is that if you connect to CPW grid and produce more electricity and send it to them during the day time, they will accept it but will not pay you or credit you for that electricity sent to them to subtract from the electricity you consume in the night when your panels are not producing electricity. So in effect you are losing money producing free electricity and not getting credited for it and putting up solar will be useless.

I am not sure if this is true and thought I will ask the people of Greer who have solar panels, if any, for their opinion. BTW Duke Energy allows net metering and even gives some credit if you install solar in your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 09:17 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
I'm not sure about the details of net metering with Greer CPW. I do know that the major utility companies pretty much run the state legislature. We are all paying for an ill advised and now cancelled nuclear plant. The power companies made a huge mistake with that plant and we have to basically bail them out from any financial impact from their stupidity.

The utilities also managed to kill a solar bill in the state legislature this week: Utilities kill solar bill despite majority support in SC House | The State

Old 04-14-2018, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,180 times
I spent $80,000 for solar panels for my business and was told it should replace all but the admin cost. It has been 3 months and while I do get a small credit from CPW, they don't have pure net metering according to our salesman. He tells us that they are the only ones around who don't credit like the rest do and they are so sorry. I have a meeting Monday with them, so we'll see how that turns out.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:56 AM

102 posts, read 121,760 times
I'm anxious to here the results of your meeting, duped. I too live in Greer city limits area and would love to put up solar but for me no net metering = no solar for me. Wondering just what is wrong with the folks at CPW if they want to discourage solar by not allowing net metering. Good luck with your meeting.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:37 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Working from old documents, CPW was trying to protect its revenue stream by paying wholesale instead of retail for electricity they buy from customers. That would not seem to be necessary when both the economy and region is growing.

But if there is no budging on their part, a great solution is to lease space for crypto mining in your facility for enough to use all the excess electricity. Charge retail prices and the payback model for your installation should be realized.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,920 times
They still do not participate in net metering. Which requires homeowners to buy a 14-15k battery to offset the difference. Not worth it until net metering is in place (like Duke)

Old 06-15-2018, 02:18 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupedbysolarsalesman View Post
I spent $80,000 for solar panels for my business and was told it should replace all but the admin cost. It has been 3 months and while I do get a small credit from CPW, they don't have pure net metering according to our salesman. He tells us that they are the only ones around who don't credit like the rest do and they are so sorry. I have a meeting Monday with them, so we'll see how that turns out.
Any update. It is clear that Greer CPW does not want us to produce solar electricity. Unfortunately there is no competition in our area from ****, Piedmont natural gas etc. We are the losers.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
. . . piggybacking on this solar thread. . .

Has anyone actually gone through with installing residential rooftop solar in Greer?

I'm not as turned off by Greer's refusal to do net metering as others are, since the highest days of electricity use will be air conditioning days that correspond to hot sun and higher solar output. I'm not looking to completely eliminate my electric bill, just maybe reduce it by 80%.

I'm not sure whether I want to go with one of these solar-install companies or buy the system from Costco, mount it myself, and hire an electrician to wire it up. Greer's list of permits and steps for installing solar looks daunting. But some of these door-to-door solar install companies give me a weird vibe.

Has anyone gone through the Greer permitting process for getting solar set up? Is there an electrician they can recommend? Or can someone recommend a legitimate solar-install company that has worked in Greer before?

Old 02-14-2019, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
. . . piggybacking on this solar thread. . .

Has anyone actually gone through with installing residential rooftop solar in Greer?

I'm not as turned off by Greer's refusal to do net metering as others are, since the highest days of electricity use will be air conditioning days that correspond to hot sun and higher solar output. I'm not looking to completely eliminate my electric bill, just maybe reduce it by 80%.

I'm not sure whether I want to go with one of these solar-install companies or buy the system from Costco, mount it myself, and hire an electrician to wire it up. Greer's list of permits and steps for installing solar looks daunting. But some of these door-to-door solar install companies give me a weird vibe.

Has anyone gone through the Greer permitting process for getting solar set up? Is there an electrician they can recommend? Or can someone recommend a legitimate solar-install company that has worked in Greer before?
I haven't gone through it yet, the wife doesn't like the look so my hands are tied for the moment, but I strongly recommend this site [url]http://www.energysage.com/?rc=e1.zn3dnd[/url] . They'll let you put in your preferences and get bids/quotes from various installers before talking to anyone in person. I'm helping my mom through it and it has cut down on the headache of dealing with the companies individually.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:59 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
Really research the companies that try and sell you leases. Just read an article about some shady practices they do inflating the rise of electricity costs to show that their panel lease is cheaper than the electricity. Yes it's convenient for them to do the maintenance but you could be spending thousands more over 20 years because of their lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area