Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 04:39 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Just because the vehicle has a SC license plate does not mean a native is behind the wheel. A lot of those bad habits have been imported from outside the state.
Agreed. And the unfamiliarity with the turn signal is now a combination of laziness and "no one else is doing it" and no fear of consequences since law enforcement is mostly taken up with mopping up fender benders instead of enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 05:31 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedge1 View Post
linda
just because the vehicle has a sc license plate does not mean a native is behind the wheel. A lot of those bad habits have been imported from outside the state. We natives are rapidly become somewhat of a rarity, as the population explosion of the past couple of decades continues unabated. We natives no longer shoulder all of the blame for how things are.
^^^this^^^

Old 05-03-2018, 06:08 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
I lived in Greenville for about 2 years as my employer has a large office there. I've lived all over the planet due to my work and Greenville is one of the top places I've lived. The things I liked about it are it's beautiful, people are very friendly, the climate is about as good as you'll find not on the West Coast with 4 seasons but none too extreme, good restaurants, it's inexpensive (for West Coasters) and the downtown (where I lived) is a fun place.

If my family wasn't in Washington state, I would seriously consider staying in Greenville.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:45 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
We like it. The weather is nice, the people are great, and the housing prices are wonderful. You don't need a coat most days. The only thing I was unprepared for is that the traffic can sometimes be bad. I live near Spartanburg, but I rarely like to drive to Greenville because the drivers (wherever they're from) are just too much for my nerves.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:38 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebhjr212 View Post
Those who have relocated to, or have lived for a while in the Greenville area: Now that you have some experience with growth trends, would you have suggestions about what areas to be looking at that may avoid some of the "Woodruff Rd craziness" but still be ideal for getting in and out of Greenville itself? We visited Travelers Rest area and enjoyed it, but wife thought maybe a bit too isolated. Too bad, Cliffs was awesome. Any ideas on where to look in future visits would be appreciated. Thank you.
Eastside, over by Silverleaf, Sugar Creek. Older but nice neighborhoods, some newer neighborhoods. You can totally avoid Woodruff Road and shop on 29 at Target, Walmart and Kohl's. The mall is close by without too much traffic. Easy into downtown. Price range from mid $200k - million dollar homes.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:58 PM

11 posts, read 15,661 times
Default Just visited the same areas for the same reasons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
Are you retirees? Hubby and I will be down in June and will stay outside Greenville in Travelers Rest. We'll also be visiting western North Carolina, all in the hopes of maybe find a new place to call home. The frigid NE is not really the climate I'd like for retirement. All the info I've seen on Greenville (granted, it's travel info from the state) sure makes it look like a great little city, with outdoor activities close by, good restaurants, and any real amenities you might need or want.
My husband and I just returned from a visit to the Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC area. We originally lived in a nice suburb in crowded northern NJ but moved to NH 5 years ago. Now that we are nearing retirement age, as beautiful as NH is, the winters are brutal (unless you are a skier or snowmobiler). Friends from NJ had moved south and love it so we thought we would check it out. We found Asheville too crowded and expensive. We liked Hendersonville, Brevard, FlatRock and Weaverville. What we are looking for in addition to milder weather is better location to medical care and grocery stores. Rural NH makes this a challenge as you get older! After being a bit disappointed by the real estate offerings in NC, we ventured south to Greer, Travelers Rest and Greenville. Greenville was a lovely city - lots of cultural things to do. Travelers Rest was a small town but had a lot going for it. For us the challenge will be to find a suitable home (we have 2 big dogs - mutts) on no more than an acre. We don't like the tract housing that seems to be so popular in new developments. We did meet with an excellent realtor who spent quite a bit of time with us and seems to know what we are looking for. If the stars align we will probably move there in a year or two. Being from the northeast I have some concerns about racial tensions as there did not seem to be much diversity in downtown Greenville. Also, I was raised protestant but do not practice any faith. If I was to join a church, I'd be looking for a Unitarian Church. Our interests are motorcycling, animal rescue, hiking and taking in a concert or show once in a while. The Swamp Rabbit Trail sounds like fun so we may dust off our bicycles if we end up there!

Old 07-27-2018, 06:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
37 years old. Grew up in Ohio. Moved down here 14 years ago out of college.

Pro's - even during rough economic times there seems to always be economic opportunity. One could argue this is the result of a growing area as opposed to the rust belt which is either stagnate in many areas or in deep decline in many others. Rust belt has some growing areas but those areas are just taking from the rest of the rust belt giving a false impression haha. The weather has just enough winter to make ya feel like you're home but it does not drag out the way it does back home. Plus there is a consistent low temp of in the high teens low 20s compared to what I grew up with in Ohio where 20s in January called for shirts and shorts. Downtown is very nice clean and very active. Huge variety of food choices. Within reasonable distance of major cities Atlanta and Charlotte. Greenville definitely has a positive geographic location.

Con's - and again this comes with an ever growing area I get that but home prices down here are criminal. My parents recently sold their home in Ohio for 135k. If you compared their home to homes down here it'd fit nicely with the homes in Augusta Circle or the Cleveland Park area where the home prices can be insane. Back home you can get a decent middle class home for under 6 figures. Down here anything under 6 figures is in a rough neighborhood and or is a complete fixer upper. Its almost like there is no in between. You can either afford over $250k or you can afford under $90k, no middle ground. I LOVE mexican food but even I think the market is over saturated. Speaking of Food down here. Just because the name of the pizza parlor has New York in the title does not mean its going to be good. Pizza down here is either a.) Chain b.) a local place owned by transplants who are using the New York name alone to scam natives haha. Have yet to find that hole in the wall pizza joint that has shag carpeting from the 70s and dimly lit red lighting throughout the restaurant like back home. BTW you do realize you can serve square Pizza right? It does not always have to be round. Extremely poor urban planning if any. The great thing about Ohio was that you could never get lost. 90 degree grid pattern of streets and roads EVERYWHERE. Down here I can start in downtown Greenville and head south and somehow end up in Travelers Rest. I know I know not really but this place makes my mental compass cry haha.

A lot of this depends on where one came from to begin with I get that. If you came from Long Island or suburban DC your financial situation just got 100 times better simply by moving a few hundred miles south. If you lived in NW Ohio you'll find GSP is a little bit pricier than back home.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:14 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Linda
Just because the vehicle has a SC license plate does not mean a native is behind the wheel. A lot of those bad habits have been imported from outside the state. We natives are rapidly become somewhat of a rarity, as the population explosion of the past couple of decades continues unabated. We natives no longer shoulder all of the blame for how things are.
I am as big of a Greenville and South Carolina homer as there is but it is true South Carolinaians are the worst drivers that I've ever met. You guys have absolutely no idea what a blinker is for or that it even exists. If you were being honest and I asked you, and you don't have to answer here but in your head, if you routinely use your blinker, or turn signal as many people call it at intersections or whenever you're making a turn what would your answer be? The overwhelming majority of my native South Carolina friends do not ever use their blinker and it drives me nuts.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:26 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I am as big of a Greenville and South Carolina homer as there is but it is true South Carolinaians are the worst drivers that I've ever met. You guys have absolutely no idea what a blinker is for or that it even exists. If you were being honest and I asked you, and you don't have to answer here but in your head, if you routinely use your blinker, or turn signal as many people call it at intersections or whenever you're making a turn what would your answer be? The overwhelming majority of my native South Carolina friends do not ever use their blinker and it drives me nuts.
Some of the worst drivers I see have out of state tags. Just today, one from Ohio missed me by 2 inches pulling out of a parking place, and no his signal wasn't on. Had one from I think it was Indiana, yesterday flip me off because he apparently couldn't get his door open in the parking space because I had to stop at a red light. (Main street Fountain Inn.) BTW, I do use my blinker when someone would need to know. I don't worry about it if noon is around.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:05 AM

604 posts, read 583,310 times
I don't think the lack of blinker use is a SC thing. It seems no matter where we travel, people just don't use them any more. How can you expect someone to use their blinker when they're already busy with texting and juggling a MegaMeal in their lap?

As far as real estate costs go- this is the most affordable place we've ever lived. But- we're out in the country a bit. I agree that downtown has gone nuts. Even Travelers Rest has gone up a lot. We're about 5 miles north of TR, and real estate is still very reasonable, but I suspect that is changing fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area