U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 07:04 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,990,494 times

Advertisements

Not a normal thing but until these are caught ...

GPD increasing patrols downtown after two armed robberies
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 09:45 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,267,534 times
Week before last you also had this:

WATCH: Video shows man trying to carjack woman in downtown Greenville

Greenville gets an F on crime on this site:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

The town I'm currently living in (Naperville IL) gets an A+ rating on the site. Before I decide pack up in September and move to Greenville, I have to ask: when you say it's not a normal thing, what level of crime is normal in Greenville? Do citizens have to get off downtown streets by 9pm to be safe -- or get a concealed carry permit? And how safe are the parking garages downtown?

Not knocking your town, just need to know what I'm getting into before I finalize my decision to uproot myself and head to SC.

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2018 at 05:28 AM..

Old 04-25-2018, 09:52 PM

4,382 posts, read 6,071,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

The town I'm currently living in (Naperville IL) gets an A+ rating on the site. Before I decide pack up in September and move to Greenville, I have to ask: when you say it's not a normal thing, what level of crime is normal in Greenville? Do citizens have to get off downtown streets by 9pm to be safe -- or get a concealed carry permit? And how safe are the parking garages downtown?

Not knocking your town, just need to know what I'm getting into before I finalize my decision to uproot myself and head to SC.
It's not bad downtown. I've been down there often late. Other than being begged by a panhandler, I haven't had issues. Just have to be smart like any other city. They'll have these vagrants pretty quickly in hand.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:00 AM

18 posts, read 7,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

Some parts have a lot of crime but downtown and the nicer suburbs are safe. Honestly I don't really trust this site as it also claims that COL in Greenville is above the national average, which i doubt.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:04 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,833,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja0428 View Post
Some parts have a lot of crime but downtown and the nicer suburbs are safe. Honestly I don't really trust this site as it also claims that COL in Greenville is above the national average, which i doubt.
There are a lot of comparison sites that show the COL in Greenville is higher than in Raleigh. I moved here from Raleigh and the cost of living in Greenville is significantly lower.

Most crime in Greenville is concentrated in a few areas that are easy to identify and avoid. Most people I know that have been victims of crime in the Greenville area have been victims of opportunity crimes where they had stuff stolen out of their unlocked car at night, out of their open garage during the day while they weren't at home, or out of their yard when they weren't at home. I think a lot of the violent crime in Greenville is domestic and/or drug related in nature.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 AM

18 posts, read 7,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
There are a lot of comparison sites that show the COL in Greenville is higher than in Raleigh. I moved here from Raleigh and the cost of living in Greenville is significantly lower.

Most crime in Greenville is concentrated in a few areas that are easy to identify and avoid. Most people I know that have been victims of crime in the Greenville area have been victims of opportunity crimes where they had stuff stolen out of their unlocked car at night, out of their open garage during the day while they weren't at home, or out of their yard when they weren't at home. I think a lot of the violent crime in Greenville is domestic and/or drug related in nature.
Indeed. Most of the crime happens in areas immediately to the west of downtown (Judson, Dunean, Parker, City View, and Sans Souci come to mind). Even then, I drive through there at least once a week and have never been a victim of a crime, so it's really best just to avoid living in those areas. The rest of the city is very safe overall. Don't let a single robbery dissuade you from coming to live down here!

Old 04-26-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja0428 View Post
Indeed. Most of the crime happens in areas immediately to the west of downtown (Judson, Dunean, Parker, City View, and Sans Souci come to mind). Even then, I drive through there at least once a week and have never been a victim of a crime, so it's really best just to avoid living in those areas. The rest of the city is very safe overall. Don't let a single robbery dissuade you from coming to live down here!
Yeah, well, I plan on living on the east side of town and probably won't be coming downtown every day, anyway. I worked for years in downtown Chicago, and I know what people mean about keeping your eyes open. I was always aware when I was walking to work of what was going on around me, including behind me.

Naperville is rated one of the safest suburbs - yet we have certain apartment complexes that are notorious for drug dealing, rapes, break-ins, etc. - I lived in one of them - and we've had a heroin problem in our high schools for years. So I hear what you guys are saying.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:43 PM

11,472 posts, read 25,701,761 times
These things are very unusual. I never feel unsafe downtown and also every part of Greenville I've been. I lived on the east side for 4 years and felt completely safe. It's nothing like a big city where you constantly have to be on alert. Most of the crime happens in West Greenville not to be confused with the West End of downtown. The rest of Greenville is pretty safe IMHO. Please, don't let these couple isolated things scare you. It's really misleading as are the scores on those websites that were mentioned!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:10 PM

783 posts, read 1,099,603 times
Crime has seemed to tick up in the downtown area over the last year. About a year ago there was an armed robbery close to regions long before this carjacking.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
These things are very unusual. I never feel unsafe downtown and also every part of Greenville I've been. I lived on the east side for 4 years and felt completely safe. It's nothing like a big city where you constantly have to be on alert. Most of the crime happens in West Greenville not to be confused with the West End of downtown. The rest of Greenville is pretty safe IMHO. Please, don't let these couple isolated things scare you. It's really misleading as are the scores on those websites that were mentioned!
Thanks, that's very encouraging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area