Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 AM

308 posts, read 267,332 times

Advertisements

As the name implies, the Greenville County council just voted to maintain the residential nature of the area around Dublin Rd. & I-85. Of note is that the developer of the Top Golf project on Garlington wanted to put some large warehouses at the back of the development which would have overtaken some residential land.

I'm really surprised the county council didn't let the developer loose here. It seems they are waking up to the fact that developers are not paying for the infrastructure needed to serve their projects and the east side is falling woefully behind. As it is, the Top Golf project will be nice but will add a lot of traffic to Garlington & Pelham and there are no plans for improvement in the near future.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...-de/570170002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:06 AM

21,007 posts, read 27,075,551 times
When will Greenville County and the South Carolina Department of Transportation become proactive in widening Garlington Road to four lanes from Woodruff Road to Pelham Road? Garlington Road is a corridor mixed with residential, commercial, industrial, and educational uses.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:37 AM

825 posts, read 1,119,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
When will Greenville County and the South Carolina Department of Transportation become proactive in widening Garlington Road to four lanes from Woodruff Road to Pelham Road? Garlington Road is a corridor mixed with residential, commercial, industrial, and educational uses.
GPATS has actually already identified Garlington Rd has a high priority. The problem is money. GPATS only has a budget of like 20 million a year. 20 million really doesn't go very far especially when it comes to widening roads. Right of ways aren't cheap. The voters of Greenville county spoke a few years ago that they didn't want to pay to improve roads. The end result is going to be traffic is going to continue to get worse.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,823,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
The voters of Greenville county spoke a few years ago that they didn't want to pay to improve roads. The end result is going to be traffic is going to continue to get worse.
Bottom line right here. The people of Greenville County have chosen bad traffic over higher taxes, that's the way things are going to be.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:06 AM

I think it's disingenuous to put the roads situation squarely on Greenville county residents as a sort of punishment for voting down the penny sales tax referendum a few years ago. I'm not sure Garlington was even one of the roads listed as a project in that referendum anyways. The money it collected alone would not have made drastic changes, made even less so by the fact that things like bike lanes and other green pet projects were lumped into it. If Greenville county proposed another referendum focused solely on improving the most congested roads and interchanges without green pet projects I think it would have a much better chance of passing.

And why should residents living at the ends of the county fund road projects focused near the city when developers don't shoulder their burden? The article I linked mentioned the council has realized they are charging developers fees drastically below that of Richland and Charleston counties. Shouldn't the developers shoulder more of the burden they create?

Old 05-03-2018, 03:51 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,955,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Bottom line right here. The people of Greenville County have chosen bad traffic over higher taxes, that's the way things are going to be.
You hit the nail on the head. Another thing to note applies to the bad condition of roads as well. The thing people fail to see is that bad roads=expensive car repairs. Therefore, you will pay one way or another. That 1 cent gas tax doesn't sound that bad anymore.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
I think it's disingenuous to put the roads situation squarely on Greenville county residents as a sort of punishment for voting down the penny sales tax referendum a few years ago. I'm not sure Garlington was even one of the roads listed as a project in that referendum anyways. The money it collected alone would not have made drastic changes, made even less so by the fact that things like bike lanes and other green pet projects were lumped into it.

If Greenville County voters won't support spending a small amount of money on a small amount of roads, they are even less likely to have supported spending a larger amount of money to make 'drastic changes.'

I very much doubt that bike lanes were a significant portion of the proposed expenses.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:48 AM

21,007 posts, read 27,075,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
GPATS has actually already identified Garlington Rd has a high priority. The problem is money. GPATS only has a budget of like 20 million a year. 20 million really doesn't go very far especially when it comes to widening roads. Right of ways aren't cheap. The voters of Greenville county spoke a few years ago that they didn't want to pay to improve roads. The end result is going to be traffic is going to continue to get worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
The constituents of Greenville County are not in favor of bad traffic. They do not want to pay for frivolous band-aid fixes proposed by the South Carolina Department of Transportation when long-term projects are necessary and can be realized sooner than later by paying less now than paying more later.

I attended a Greenville-Pickens Area Transportation Study/South Carolina Department of Transportation information workshop last year. There were costly weird ideas proposed.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The constituents of Greenville County are not in favor of bad traffic. They do not want to pay for frivolous band-aid fixes proposed by the South Carolina Department of Transportation when long-term projects are necessary and can be realized sooner than later by paying less now than paying more later.

I attended a Greenville-Pickens Area Transportation Study/South Carolina Department of Transportation information workshop last year. There were costly weird ideas proposed.
Of course they're not in favor of bad traffic, they just oppose taxes to fix the roads more than they oppose bad traffic.

I'll believe we can get a lot more roads for a lot less money when I see it.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:00 PM

I still don't see why the blame should be put solely on the voters of the county (disclosure: I'm in Spartanburg county but would have voted no based on how poorly the project package was presented and lieing about taxing groceries). Since then the gas tax has been raised, and now you have this issue where the county is realizing that developers are not carrying their weight with regards to impact fees.

A referendum on a sales tax or bond package might have a better chance of passing if road/intersection/interchange projects are presented clearly and based on the most impact to drivers in the county, without green pet projects. It would help to not lie about what will be taxed and clearly state that the money can only be used for road projects listed in the referendum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area