Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times

Advertisements

Folks in Simpsonville, what TV antenna are you using that works well? Inside antenna that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 05:23 AM

No one is using antenna here for local channels?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:15 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
you may want to DM TylerSC - he is the C-D antennae expert - he may post here soon

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-15-2018 at 08:08 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 07:58 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
you may want to DM TylerSC - he is the C-D antennae expert - he may post her soon
Yes. There is a lot of posts on this forum where he has posted some good info. I just went with regular standard rabbit ears. I figured you are going to get what you are going to get since there are only so many local over the air channels anyway.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
you may want to DM TylerSC - he is the C-D antennae expert - he may post here soon
Okay. I'll check with him. I've tried 3 different ones.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:25 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Okay. I'll check with him. I've tried 3 different ones.
Do a google search for AVS Forum Greenville SC. Tons of posts there regarding antenna choices, and Tyler posts there regularly.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Do a google search for AVS Forum Greenville SC. Tons of posts there regarding antenna choices, and Tyler posts there regularly.
Thanks. I will.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:21 AM

61 posts, read 50,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Folks in Simpsonville, what TV antenna are you using that works well? Inside antenna that is.
I also live in Simpsonville and according to the antenna sites that predict your reception, I am in a really poor spot. My predicted reception was so poor that for over a year I didn't even bother with trying an antenna other than a quick experiment with rabbit ears which seemed to verify my poor reception outlook.

Then, I found an Antennas Direct Clearstream 2V refurbished for $28 and purchased it. I figured for $28, I couldn't go very wrong. Installed that antenna indoors in a 2nd floor bedroom facing North and I was astounded at how many channels I got. I have it on the floor behind the headboard of our guest bed in that bedroom and connected it to a 4-channel Tablo box that I can use with my Fire TV and Roku devices. This works quite well.

Now, I never tried any of the flat antennas so I cannot speak to how well or poorly those work but I suspect that the Clearstream 2V would work better in my situation. In looking for the best spot for my antenna, I did discover that placing it in front of either of my 2 bedroom windows did not work very well at all. Of course my house has low-E glass and I am sure that is blocking a lot of the TV signals from passing through.

I also have an RCA TVPRAMP1Z pre-amplifier that I have tried. When just using my 4-tuner Tablo it really doesn't seem to make any difference. But I also have an older 2-tuner HDHomerun box that I used when I lived in Michigan and when I hook that up along with the Tablo using a splitter, the preamp does seem to help boost the signal that has been divided so many times.

I can get the following stations quite well...... 4, 7, 16, 21, 28, 29, 33, 40, 49, 50 and 51 all with decent reception almost all of the time. I can also get channel 13 and 62 but quite often they are less reliable. All this from an antenna inside sitting on my bedroom floor. Even then placement is critical and just small movements of the antenna can make or break reception on some of those channels. I suspect that if I were to get it outside and maybe just a bit higher (like near my roof-line), I would get 13 and 62 even better.

I hope this helps you. I wish I had not believed the antenna reception predictions (TVFool, etc.) my first year or so in my new house as they all predicted less than stellar reception at my location.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
I'll be moving to the east side of Greenville in September. I've been using a Mohu Curve 50 for several years for local channel reception, and it works fantastic - with the exception of one channel (and no one else I know can get that one on their antennas, either). I have it sitting on a TV stand shelf, positioned for best reception. It will be interesting to see how it works for channels in Greenville. Here's a review:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/mohu-cu...view-4183.html

Old 05-21-2018, 12:29 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Read the whole long response, but the last paragraph summarizes the best indoor antenna choices. The Mohu Flow 60 may be the best choice for indoor antenna, with a few other choices.

Somehow I have missed this thread but will now respond. But I am often perplexed why so many folks are determined to use
an indoor antenna which are often inherently unreliable for digital TV reception. An outdoor antenna will normally perform best, but it can also be placed inside the attic or crawl space depending upon location.

If aesthetics are a concern, modern style antennas such as the Clearstream 4V or 4MAX perform very well, and the smaller Clearstream 2V or 2 MAX are good also. The 2MAX has recently been on sale on Walmart website with free shipping to store, and comes with an indoor stand. But you may need to add an inline amplifier such as the Antop Smartpass Amplifier 601 with adjustable gain, sold by Walmart website or Amazon.

But in terms of flat panels that are more discreet, the Winegard Flatwave AIR performs very good and is a good value on Amazon for $69. It has a built in amplifier which helps pull in problematic signals. But be sure and order the outdoor AIR version, not the indoor Flatwave. it can be used indoors but does not have a stand, so placement may be more problematic.

Also the new Winegard Elite antenna is even better, but it is pricier at $!49. The only reason to pay more is the Elite version may more reliably receive 13-WLOS from Asheville, which is problematic. But I have used the Flatwave AIR and it gets 13 fine, as well as WBTV from Charlotte. But the Elite also does not have a stand, so it may be best for the attic.

But a better choice for indoors is the Antop 400B sold on Amazon. It is an excellent flat panel antenna, and it receives long distance channels WLOS and WBTVat my location near Mauldin. It comes with an indoor stand and adjustable Smartpass amplifier with adjustable gain. There is a pricier version the 400BV which adds a VHF dipole which may provide stronger reception for 7 and 13, but I found the 400B without the dipole to work fine.

But for the larger style traditional outdoor antenna, the Winegard 7694 or 7698 are ideally designed for this region, with both High VHF and UHF capability. Also the RCA 705Z sold at Lowe's is a good, compact High VHF/UHF combo antenna for attic or outdoor use. Whereas a good UHF antenna is the classic 8bay version from Channel Master, the 4228, or the DB8e from Antennas Direct. There are also some lower priced generic versions such as Solid Signal or Stellar Labs. And the yagi style 91XG is an excellent high gain UHF antenna, but it is for fringe applications or to receive distant channels such as Charlotte, and there are also lower priced generic versions. But with these UHF antennas you would need to add a separate High VHF antenna, the Stellar Labs 30-2475.

But with these outdoor antennas you would need to add an amplifier, such as Channel Master Amplify, or Winegard LNA200 from Home Depot, or the RCA preamp sold at Lowe's or Walmart website, as well as Amazon.

But since the OP really wants an indoor antenna, the Mohu Flow 60 is an excellent choice, or the Mohu Curve 50. Both come with amplifiers, but you may need an attenuator as they may overpower unless you have a long cable run. The Antop 601 Smartpass inline amp can be purchased separately on Amazon or Walmart website and has adjustable gain and may perform better here. There is also a new Moho Beam antenna at Best Buy that receives good reviews, but is sold cheaper as the Mohu Blade on Amazon. But I have personally tried the Flow 60 and it is an excellent indoor antenna, and it receives WBTV from Charlotte and the problem 13 from Asheville at my location near Mauldin. I also like the Terk HDTVa indoor antenna.

So long story short, for indoor antenna either Mohu Flow 60 or Antop 400B used as an indoor antenna with the stand. The Antop 400B usually sells for $98 on Amazon but may be listed as Antop 80 Mile Antenna rather than the 400B. There are many Antop antennas, but the 400B is the one you want. The Winegard Flatwave AIR is a better value but it does not come with a stand so you would have to improvise there. The Mohu Flow 60 is smaller and more discreet, and a lower price so that may be the best choice when ordered from the Mohu website with a promo code. The Clearstream 2MAX also has an indoor stand, so it would also be a good choice when adding an amp. But again the Mohu Flow 60 is smaller, compact and lower priced so I would suggest that one.

FINAL CHOICE: MOHU FLOW 60 INDOOR ANTENNA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area