Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:04 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Wow... I wonder what was for the reason for this? seems like and odd pairing of cities no?

Memphis Airport seems to be a shell of its former self. Believe it used to be a hub of sorts now it seem vastly overbuilt given the current level of service with the exception of Fed Ex flights.

I just got back from Birmingham AL.. BHM is an interesting airport.. It seems very busy for a small to midsize city airport, fairly new terminal buildings as well. I was told by locals that Birmingham and Atlanta were the same size in the 1950s. Delta wanted to go to Bham but State of Alabama and the City said "No" so they went to ATL and the rest is history....Most locals blamed shortsighted government officials bent on protecting the steel industry (which has since evaporated) and good ole fashion racism and protectionism as the down fall of the airport at the time..

At any rate.. good catch for GSP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 12:08 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Since I moved here 11 years ago, GSP has lost non stop flights to Memphis, Nashville, Las Vegas, Cleveland, Baltimore, Minneapolis, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. That's a lot.
Memphis and Cincinnati - everybody lost them after the Delta downsize.
Cleveland - everybody lost them after the United downsize.
Las Vegas - still don't remember that one, but Allegiant then wasn't Allegiant now
Baltimore, Chicago, Nashville - Southwest changed their philosophy. I dont know what went wrong. BWI also lost their Air Tran hub and I guess SW had a change of plans
Pittsburgh - lost US Air
Minneapolis - I guess Delta felt having Atlanta and Detroit was enough. GSP users would've likely used MSP as a connection anyway so there was no need in having both Detroit and MSP as options. That and MSP was home to NWA Air, which they lost

Part of it is on GSP, part of it is competition, part of it is the market and changing airline attitudes, but part of it is also just the decline of other airports. Yeah the Memphis flight is gone, but does it really matter? Maybe Allegiant will eventually bring Pittsburgh in. Minneapolis doesn't seem like a big loss.

GSP has to get more aggressive though, like Myrtle Beach. I'm not a huge fan of discount carriers, but the airport should try everything in their power to woo Frontier. Try to keep the legacy carriers enticed too. AA adding Miami is good, shows they still keep a good eye on GSP. Need more Delta options.

Also even with everything GSP has lost, the yearly passenger numbers have stayed consistent to rising.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I just got back from Birmingham AL.. BHM is an interesting airport.. It seems very busy for a small to midsize city airport, fairly new terminal buildings as well. I was told by locals that Birmingham and Atlanta were the same size in the 1950s. Delta wanted to go to Bham but State of Alabama and the City said "No" so they went to ATL and the rest is history....Most locals blamed shortsighted government officials bent on protecting the steel industry (which has since evaporated) and good ole fashion racism and protectionism as the down fall of the airport at the time..
From what I heard it wasn't really the case of the city saying "no." Atlanta was the more appealing option because it was more progressive, was in the eastern time zone, and had a lower aviation tax. Atlanta also pulled out enticing gimmicks while Birmingham just kind of sat there. That's what I've read.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Memphis and Cincinnati - everybody lost them after the Delta downsize.
Cleveland - everybody lost them after the United downsize.
Las Vegas - still don't remember that one, but Allegiant then wasn't Allegiant now
Baltimore, Chicago, Nashville - Southwest changed their philosophy. I dont know what went wrong. BWI also lost their Air Tran hub and I guess SW had a change of plans
Pittsburgh - lost US Air
Minneapolis - I guess Delta felt having Atlanta and Detroit was enough. GSP users would've likely used MSP as a connection anyway so there was no need in having both Detroit and MSP as options. That and MSP was home to NWA Air, which they lost

Part of it is on GSP, part of it is competition, part of it is the market and changing airline attitudes, but part of it is also just the decline of other airports. Yeah the Memphis flight is gone, but does it really matter? Maybe Allegiant will eventually bring Pittsburgh in. Minneapolis doesn't seem like a big loss.

GSP has to get more aggressive though, like Myrtle Beach. I'm not a huge fan of discount carriers, but the airport should try everything in their power to woo Frontier. Try to keep the legacy carriers enticed too. AA adding Miami is good, shows they still keep a good eye on GSP. Need more Delta options.

Also even with everything GSP has lost, the yearly passenger numbers have stayed consistent to rising.
This should be their main focus. We flew them from Atlanta 2 weeks ago non stop to LA and paid $619 round trip for 4 people!!! No that wasn't a typo and that included a 50lb checked suitcase. Yes it was no frills, but it was fine; on time, nice employees and smooth flight. They announced on the plane to promote their credit card that they were adding a dozen new cities by the end of 2018, so I really hope we will be one of them; a non stop from GSP to Denver (their main hub) and connections from there is a game changer.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
From what I heard it wasn't really the case of the city saying "no." Atlanta was the more appealing option because it was more progressive, was in the eastern time zone, and had a lower aviation tax. Atlanta also pulled out enticing gimmicks while Birmingham just kind of sat there. That's what I've read.

That sounds very likely.. I think many of the locals find it convenient to lay blame at the feet of the "Powers that Be" of the day. I also think there may be a sense of regret/envy in terms of how the cities have evolved...

I didn't realize that GSP (Southwest ) has ended all their non stop service to Baltimore..That seems odd since it is a hub and provides another access point to DC.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:50 PM

513 posts, read 575,861 times
Quote:
This should be their main focus. We flew them from Atlanta 2 weeks ago non stop to LA and paid $619 round trip for 4 people!!! No that wasn't a typo and that included a 50lb checked suitcase. Yes it was no frills, but it was fine; on time, nice employees and smooth flight. They announced on the plane to promote their credit card that they were adding a dozen new cities by the end of 2018, so I really hope we will be one of them; a non stop from GSP to Denver (their main hub) and connections from there is a game changer.
I'm hopeful here too. Seems like they're running out of cities our size to add, so GSP should be one if them... surely!
Meanwhile, Frontier can't get enough of Charleston, they're now adding a flight to Minneapolis, which makes their 6th destination I believe, and 4th since April.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:

There are scores of little "no name" airlines that fly into places like Hagerstown MD and Altoona, PA. and connecting them with places like BWI or IAD.. I wonder why none have come into SC with some type of service? Southern Airways is one that comes to mind...

https://iflysouthern.com

Granted its not as sexy as some of the larger jet/mainstream carriers but I wonder if it could increase service/connectivity and provide additional options?

Old 06-05-2018, 02:57 PM

825 posts, read 1,124,932 times
Unfortunately one of GSPs biggest hindrances to getting new destinations and/or airlines is the same thing that has helped the area grow so much, close proximity to Atlanta and Charlotte. The airlines that operate out of those airports are already capturing some part of the GSP market. To expand (or add new service in the case of Frontier) at GSP they need to be confident that adding a new destination will net them enough new passengers and not just take away existing passengers.

Unfortunately Frontier already flies out of Charlotte and Atlanta. That is likely GSP biggest obstacle, can Frontier net enough new passengers to make it worth coming here? I have no idea, but I'm sure powers that be at Frontier do.

I've seen no evidence to indicate the powers at GSP aren't trying to expand service. The renovation of the airport is the biggest evidence that are they are actively try expand and attract new business. They pulled out the stops to get Southwest. They successfully lobbied the state to allow alcohol sales on Sunday at airports as a way to circumvent Spartanburg county. I'm sure there are other examples, but all that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be able to land a new airline or destination if the airlines think there isn't enough new money to be made.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:06 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
If I absolutely had to go back to MIA for a visit I would have to think twice about going thru MIA airport even though it's less than 10 miles from my parents with living right off LeJuene in the Gables. I would much rather go through Ft. Lauderdale, so much easier and have been doing it long before moving here. I guess it will also depend on the cost, hard to beat Allegiants price.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:12 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Would like to see JetBlue come here also with service to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area