Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 04:21 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Is or will this be the largest aircraft serving GSP?
Virtually the same size as a Boeing 737, which is what Southwest flies. Those two are/will be the largest at GSP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 04:28 PM

401 posts, read 379,143 times
Great news! I'm disappointed at the flight schedule though. Hopefully people will fill those Wednesday and Saturday flights so they'll add more days.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:58 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It is great they are flying out of GSP but I thought about the same thing. Allegiant already services 3-4 cities in FL. It would be nice if they would add some flights up north, say to Philly. We use Frontier but have to fly out of Charlotte.
Agree! I am hoping for some upstate NY flights. I know they have a pretty big presence in the Rochester Buffalo area where I am from and would love direct flights from/to there.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:21 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
From the Greenville Snooze...errr...News:

"Denver-based Frontier Airlines announced plans Tuesday to begin nonstop service to Denver, Las Vegas and Orlando beginning in September, giving the Greer airport direct access to those cities for the first time."

Allegiant and Southwest would like a word.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:37 AM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
From the Greenville Snooze...errr...News:

"Denver-based Frontier Airlines announced plans Tuesday to begin nonstop service to Denver, Las Vegas and Orlando beginning in September, giving the Greer airport direct access to those cities for the first time."

Allegiant and Southwest would like a word.

Independence Air also, briefly, had direct flights to Las Vegas back in 2005.

Now, that's an airline I miss. Low cost, access to many areas, convenient flights, great staff, nice planes (even if they were all CRJ's other than to Vegas). I actually got into work one morning at about 8am not expecting to go anywhere, was on a plane to Dulles by 10am and returned on the 9pm flight.. and it cost less than $200.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 AM

826 posts, read 1,125,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It is great they are flying out of GSP but I thought about the same thing. Allegiant already services 3-4 cities in FL. It would be nice if they would add some flights up north, say to Philly. We use Frontier but have to fly out of Charlotte.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Agree! I am hoping for some upstate NY flights. I know they have a pretty big presence in the Rochester Buffalo area where I am from and would love direct flights from/to there.

Based on the Wednesday & Saturday flights it appears that frontier is going 100% after the leisure traveler at GSP. Those are the two slowest days of the week for biz travelers. Contrast this with the schedule from CLT to the northeast cities which has more frequent flights through out the week. Its clear that frontier is trying to tap somewhat into the biz travel market in CLT as well having a much larger population base of leisure travelers to pull from. Basically there is enough demand out of CLT for Frontier to fill a plane to philly or trenton. I don't think their is that sort of consistent demand out of GSP to those northeastern cities. Keep in my mind the discount airlines primarily operate larger planes, so they have fill a plane with 130+ week in and week out.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:03 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Reactions on Fox Carolina and WYFF seem mixed to good. People are obviously excited for new routes, but Frontier still has stigma. Someone said "they have maintenance issues and are unsafe." Actually, Allegiant was the big offender in that front. Frontier actually has the newest fleets of the US airlines. Others have caught on that you have to pay for everything else to make up for the ticket, and then others are your typical whiners.

I hope they're successful at GSP, but they definitely need to come out strong out the gate. Adding at least 1 more day would make things easier too.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Reactions on Fox Carolina and WYFF seem mixed to good. People are obviously excited for new routes, but Frontier still has stigma. Someone said "they have maintenance issues and are unsafe." Actually, Allegiant was the big offender in that front. Frontier actually has the newest fleets of the US airlines. Others have caught on that you have to pay for everything else to make up for the ticket, and then others are your typical whiners.

I hope they're successful at GSP, but they definitely need to come out strong out the gate. Adding at least 1 more day would make things easier too.
If they could add a Monday, these would be really solid destinations. Then business travelers could leave Monday and come back Wednesday or Saturday. Leisure travelers could do Saturday to Monday for a short vacation or Wednesday to Monday for a longer one.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:36 AM

513 posts, read 576,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

There was an interesting blurb at the end of the WYFF video I saw; the reporter said that Frontier "plans to offer more places to travel" the Frontier spokeswoman said they are purchasing 200+ more planes " so we are going to be growing and looking for more places to fly."

As I stated earlier, this is a "first offer" of sorts, testing the market if you will. If the upstate supports the current flights, there will definitely be additional flights/days/ destinations added down the road, and it may not take all that long. This is a fast growing airline and they have shown aggressive growth in other markets where the reception has been good.

I will also add that this is a strong entry to our market. The other two markets they added yesterday got 2 and 3 destinations. CHS started with 2 initially (Denver and Philly), and I think PTI was just Denver. Good stuff!

Last edited by distortedlogic; 06-20-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-20-2018, 11:45 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
With the extras, it was still cheaper for me going to Las Vegas with Frontier out of GSP than any other carrier including Southwest. It’s non stop direct also which is a nice plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area