Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 12:54 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times

Advertisements

I have an acquaintance that is an atheist and politically liberal that moved to Seattle last year from Greenville he and loves everything about it there except the traffic. He wasn't happy here due to the conservative political and religious climate.

I have another acquaintance that is of a more moderate persuasion that also moved to Seattle last year from Asheville and he also loves it there except for the traffic. He occasionally commutes to work by kayak and foot and says it takes about the same amount of time as by car due to the terrible traffic. He left Asheville due to not being able to find employment in his field.

It would seem like Seattle also gives you close to mountains and beach (although you'd need a wetsuit to swim at the beach there). What specifically are you trying to gain by moving here from Seattle?

I like Greenville except for the ultra-conservative religious and political climate (I'm a moderate but that makes me liberal by Greenville standards). I don't like the heat and humidity for about the hottest 6-8 weeks of summer but the trade off is it is generally pretty mild in the winter. I'd think the Pacific Northwest probably has us beat on weather with a generally mild climate year around.

The cost of living here is going to be a good bit lower but with the influx of people moving to the area, we have seen a lot of increase in housing costs in the last 5-10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
It is overcast and/or rainy in the pacific northwest much of the time.. I think most people would like the weather better in the south. I've read that a lot people in the PNW get seasonal depression.

I think the Republican / conservative people in Greenville are similar to Republican / conservative voters anywhere else. I don't understand what makes them 'ultra' conservative. I think they are mainstream conservatives.

My grandparents were stationed at a military base in Washington state at one point and my grandmother hated the weather out there. She loves SC's weather.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-20-2018 at 01:51 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 01:52 PM

Here are some graphs comparing Seattle and Greenville weather if you are a visual person.

https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

Old 06-20-2018, 01:55 PM

233 posts, read 305,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I have an acquaintance that is an atheist and politically liberal that moved to Seattle last year from Greenville he and loves everything about it there except the traffic. He wasn't happy here due to the conservative political and religious climate.

I have another acquaintance that is of a more moderate persuasion that also moved to Seattle last year from Asheville and he also loves it there except for the traffic. He occasionally commutes to work by kayak and foot and says it takes about the same amount of time as by car due to the terrible traffic. He left Asheville due to not being able to find employment in his field.

It would seem like Seattle also gives you close to mountains and beach (although you'd need a wetsuit to swim at the beach there). What specifically are you trying to gain by moving here from Seattle?

I like Greenville except for the ultra-conservative religious and political climate (I'm a moderate but that makes me liberal by Greenville standards). I don't like the heat and humidity for about the hottest 6-8 weeks of summer but the trade off is it is generally pretty mild in the winter. I'd think the Pacific Northwest probably has us beat on weather with a generally mild climate year around.

The cost of living here is going to be a good bit lower but with the influx of people moving to the area, we have seen a lot of increase in housing costs in the last 5-10 years.
Yes the weather here gets very old after awhile. We live for the summer!
I am a beach person and yes the beaches here are definitely not east coast beaches. There is so much that is nice here but the taxes the crazy politics and the traffic really puts a damper on things. I have a daughter in Florida and a son in NC plus grand babies so the draw is there.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:01 PM

233 posts, read 305,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Here are some graphs comparing Seattle and Greenville weather if you are a visual person.

https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9
Thanks for that

Old 06-20-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifexponential View Post
Yes the weather here gets very old after awhile. We live for the summer!
I am a beach person and yes the beaches here are definitely not east coast beaches. There is so much that is nice here but the taxes the crazy politics and the traffic really puts a damper on things. I have a daughter in Florida and a son in NC plus grand babies so the draw is there.
I can certainly understand the weather getting old. We lived in Monterey, CA for about 18 months while I was in the Army. The weather there was almost the same every day. Foggy in the morning with a low in the upper 40s to mid 50s, then clearing by noon with a high in the mid to upper 60s. It rained in December and January. We enjoyed it for a while but really missed the 4 seasons we were used to in the South. The local weather reporter there was always excited to report the weather in other parts of the country since it was so boring to do the weather forecast in Monterey.

The west coast certainly has some crazy politics. We often say we enjoyed our time in CA but I don't think I could ever live there between the wacky ultra-liberal politics and the extreme high cost of living (maybe some relation between them?). The Southeastern US does tend to have its own brand of crazy politics, just on the other end of the spectrum.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I think the Republican / conservative people in Greenville are similar to Republican / conservative voters anywhere else. I don't understand what makes them 'ultra' conservative. I think they are mainstream conservatives.

According to one site that tracks ideological leanings:

Of the 2 US House members from the Upstate, we have Jeff Duncan that is rated #6 and Trey Gowdy that is rated #202 out of 439 representatives. It could be argued that Gowdy is within the mainstream but Duncan is the definition of ultra-conservative.

Of the 2 senators from SC, Tim Scott is #11 and Graham is #49 out of 100 senators. Again, Graham could be viewed as moderate but Scott is an ultra-conservative.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/mem...house/ideology
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/mem...enate/ideology

According to the American Conservative Union rankings of conservatism:

Gowdy is 97.19% and Duncan is 97.23%. Both ratings place them squarely in the ultra-conservative camp.

Scott is 93.67% and Graham is 80.70%. That makes Scott the 8th most conservative Senator, and Graham the 39th most conservative. By this measure, Scott is an ultra-conservative and Graham is a moderate.

The American Conservative Union Federal Legislative Ratings

Old 06-20-2018, 02:42 PM

Graham seems to support going to war with about every country and he had said some things that seem kind of anti-freedom of speech. I wouldn't describe those positions as 'moderate'.

The reason he gets scored as a moderate is because he has a liberal stance on immigration and global warming and some other issues. That 'moderate' score he gets is only indicating that he sells out on his own voters on a good number of issues.

Tim Scott is a chill guy and his views are mainstream conservative / Republican. He's certainly not 'crazy'. You haven't explained how any stance that Tim Scott holds is 'crazy'.

I know conservative Republicans who moved here from California and other blue states and they don't think conservatives in Greenville are crazy.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-20-2018 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Graham seems to support going to war with about every country and he had said some things that seem kind of anti-freedom of speech. I wouldn't describe those positions as 'moderate'.

The reason he gets scored as a moderate is because he has a liberal stance on immigration and global warming and some other issues. That 'moderate' score he gets is only indicating that he sells out on his own voters on a good number of issues.

Tim Scott is a chill guy and his views are mainstream conservative / Republican. He's certainly not 'crazy'. You haven't explained how any stance that Tim Scott holds is 'crazy'.
I never indicated that Scott was crazy or that he held crazy views. I asserted that he is an ultra-conservative, which is supported by his voting record.

The only mention I made of 'crazy' was to draw a parallel that if one considers the west coast to have 'crazy' politics, the Southeast has a similar bent on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I'm not going to engage you further as it is distracting from the actual topic.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:56 PM

He's not an 'ultra conservative'. He's a mainstream conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area