Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 06:14 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
You don’t have a dog in the hunt.
Nobody forces you to go there unless your job does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Nobody forces you to go there unless your job does.
I’m not whining. I lived in Charleston / Folly for years. Traffic doesn’t bother me. Assess the developer, the builder, it’s ultimately the buyer / end user that pays. I understand the need for housing as well. Build them on the 1/2 acre lots.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I know this will be an incredibly unpopular idea, but if they designed all neighborhoods so traffic could pass through, there wouldn't be such a problem with new neighborhoods burdening the existing roads. Instead, new neighborhoods would add usable roads.

It's a problem where everybody wants to live on a street but nobody wants other cars on their street.
If South Carolina Department of Transportation can get the ball rolling widening South Carolina Highway 14, South Carolina Highway 296, and Woodruff Road (South Bennett's Bridge Road into Spartanburg County) to four lanes, many traffic issues will be resolved.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 AM

308 posts, read 269,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If South Carolina Department of Transportation can get the ball rolling widening South Carolina Highway 14, South Carolina Highway 296, and Woodruff Road (South Bennett's Bridge Road into Spartanburg County) to four lanes, many traffic issues will be resolved.
It seems painfully obvious to identify the specific roads that need improvement. Yet somehow the locals in control (GPATS and the county) seem inept at doing so, and then SCDOT focuses most of the resources towards other cities like Charleston.

One need only ask Austin: just because you don't build it doesn't mean people are going to stop coming.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:01 AM

26 posts, read 31,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
The intersection at SC296 and Anderson Ridge desperately needs improvements. At the very least they need redo the light so only one direction of traffic on Anderson Ridge goes at a time. Trying to turn left off Anderson Ridge is impossible at certain times of day.
I sent DOT a request last week to please make that intersection a traffic circle. It is one of the worst in the county, I counted over 40 cars backed up Anderson Ridge Road.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:42 PM

308 posts, read 269,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshrop6004 View Post
I sent DOT a request last week to please make that intersection a traffic circle. It is one of the worst in the county, I counted over 40 cars backed up Anderson Ridge Road.
Lol, over 40 cars is normal going east on Roper Mountain at 14 or southbound 14 at Roper Mountain on weekdays at 5. Long backups on single-lane roads don't seem to be a concern for SCDOT.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:09 PM

503 posts, read 692,757 times
I think what would help with some of the woodruff rd traffic is some retail centers out on the 101 side of things. I know when I lived in five forks I would have driven to 101 over the main part of woodruff road any day.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:33 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...own/599497002/ The same people complaining about the traffic and cookie cutter subdivisions in Five Forks probably moved into one themselves and helped contribute to the congestion.

Last edited by g-man430; 06-25-2018 at 06:54 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 05:02 PM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
Yes Austin ranks higher in traffic congestion than its metro population ranking. Austin has a very poor and inadequate freeway system for a 2 million population. But part of it is poor land use. Seattle ranks 6th or so in congestion while it’s populstion ranks 15th. But that is cause of their high density of 7k people per square mile, right? No Seattle also has an inadequate freeway system and does not make up for that inadequacy with great transit. Atlanta ranks 9th in population but 4th in congestion. And ATL ranks low on population density.... 3rd lowest in US among metros over 1 million. They also have a poor freeway system that is a hub and spoke system. It is inadequate for a metro over 5 million. Those cities that move traffic pretty well have excellent freeway systems and good transit. These cities don’t have a basic spoke and hub network and they have cross town freeways. Dallas is an example of a metro that moves traffic well for its size. It’s population ranking is higher than its congestion ranking. Dallas is consistently getting new freeways and it’s freeways are not 16 lanes like ATL. GSP will need to expand its freeway system if it continues to grow beyond 1 million and on toward 1.5 and 2.0 million.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:07 PM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
Boston and NYC are examples of metros that move traffic pretty well cause of good freeway systems and good transit. Washington is another spoke and hub system that ranks poorly. Other fast growing southern cities will have to improve their infrastructure dramatically to avoid major congestion in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area