Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 02:18 AM

604 posts, read 584,082 times

Advertisements

We're in the middle of the woods, and rarely see roaches. We have a wide array of bugs, though, plus an equal number of spiders. I've never seen so many wasps and hornets. My least favorite are the tiny scorpions we get (not technically a bug) but their numbers seem to be diminishing as we civilize our place.

On a positive note, we have more lightning bugs this year than I've ever seen before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 06:28 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Yes! I've noticed a lot of fireflies too this year!

Old 06-28-2018, 06:35 AM

370 posts, read 325,511 times
The Upstate isn't known for roaches or palmetto bugs...gotta move closer to the coast to encounter them.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:19 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
When I was visiting Greenville in March, every apartment complex I visited made a point of telling me that they had exterminators regularly visit the complex, and if I saw problems in between visits they would come out specially to deal with them. The fact that they made this a selling point should tell you something.
With apartment complexes all it takes is one trashy person in your building to make it hard to control pests. At least with a house, if you have a problem, once you drive them out they are gone. In an apartment complex you can drive them out only to have them hide out on the other side of the wall in your neighbor's dirty apartment.

I see a lot of bugs outside in the yard. We occasionally get something that flies in when we let the dogs in or out but our smallest dog generally hunts them down and dispatches them in quick order. The tiny ants invade every year and we have to work to keep them in check.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:07 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
With apartment complexes all it takes is one trashy person in your building to make it hard to control pests. At least with a house, if you have a problem, once you drive them out they are gone. In an apartment complex you can drive them out only to have them hide out on the other side of the wall in your neighbor's dirty apartment.
Yeah, the worst places I've lived for roaches and ants are apartment complexes in college towns: Charlottesville VA, Chapel Hill NC.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Florida certainly has much more bug activity than here.

Our most pressing issue has been Carpenter Bees. While they don't sting, they are annoying. Plus do damage to your wood structures. I'm getting the upper hand on the little dudes though.

Had a few fire ant hills in my yard. A quick dusting eliminates them rather quickly.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Florida certainly has much more bug activity than here.

Our most pressing issue has been Carpenter Bees. While they don't sting, they are annoying. Plus do damage to your wood structures. I'm getting the upper hand on the little dudes though.

Had a few fire ant hills in my yard. A quick dusting eliminates them rather quickly.

Yes, we’ve also had fire ants and quite a few snakes (I know not bugs but still)

We were close to DC and had noticed a significant decline of fireflies the couple of years there. Now my yard is a light show every night! Can’t wait to get grandson out here with a Duke’s jar!

Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Yes, we’ve also had fire ants and quite a few snakes (I know not bugs but still)

We were close to DC and had noticed a significant decline of fireflies the couple of years there. Now my yard is a light show every night! Can’t wait to get grandson out here with a Duke’s jar!
I'm always glad to see the small garter snakes because they help keep the bugs in check.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:39 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I'm always glad to see the small garter snakes because they help keep the bugs in check.
It still unnerves me but yes, I’m getting accustomed to the “good” snakes. We did see a small (but not yellow tip) copperhead but he was dead in the street.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:34 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
For those who love fireflies:

How You Can Help Prevent Fireflies from Disappearing - Firefly.org

Not cutting your grass too short helps too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area