Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 01:49 AM

233 posts, read 305,748 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! Anyone able to compare Greenville traffic with Seattle traffic? I’m just st curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 05:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
I do not know what traffic in Seattle, Washington, is like.

Greenville traffic could be bad in specific areas. Interstate 85 between exit 51 (Woodruff Road [South Carolina Highway 146] and Interstate 385) and exit 56 (South Highway 14 [South Carolina Highway 14]) is in traffic reports daily with wrecks and parking lots.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:13 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,605,465 times
I travel most of I-85 in the Upstate daily - I've concluded after living here since '08 that SCDOT is merely playing catch-up/exhibits complete apathy/possibly corrupt - after living in multiple states, I've never seen a major interstate system is such disrepair

years ago, the ridiculous I-185 toll road should have been re-routed around the Upstate to be a mandatory truck bypass - the amount of truck traffic currently is crazy - I'm baffled that so many trucks drive thru the Upstate during rush hour

secondary Upstate roads are just as bad

one just needs to compare Greenville/Upstate to pier cities - I regularly travel to Greensboro/Triad - I'm always astounded at the amazing interstate system there

lastly, the state of SC is flush with money - the state income tax rate is very high (effing 7% for those making more than $14,650) - additionally, both gas taxes/auto sales taxes were recently raised (albeit, both very low rates previously) - spend the effing money and fix the d@mn roads - BUT, utilize companies/organizations that will appropriately repair/construct these roads - I've seen some atrocious/incompetent repairs!

Old 07-04-2018, 09:05 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,094,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifexponential View Post
Hi folks! Anyone able to compare Greenville traffic with Seattle traffic? I’m just st curious.
Seriously?
Common sense says that just the population difference between the two makes the comparison invalid. I moved here from Los Angeles, traffic there is a nightmare. Woodruff Rd here in Greenville is horrible, every road in LA is Woodruff Rd. No, traffic here isn't really that bad. Atlanta is really bad, greenville is nothing.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:49 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifexponential View Post
I've driven in Seattle during rush hour, and Greenville (at least as I experienced it) was nowhere near as bad in my opinion.

I was in Greenville for eight days in March and didn't find it that horrible, especially compared to the large cities I've lived in (or spent time in for business). I was in Raleigh for eight days in February and thought traffic was much worse there than in Greenville; you had to use the expressways to get around in a timely fashion, there were a lot of semis on the expressways at rush hour, and there were always two or three merge lefts once you got onto an expressway which was unnerving. Those who think traffic in Greenville at rush hour is bad should try Los Angeles or Boston -- or some of the choke points in the interstate system around Chicago.

Also, there's this project going on which looks to be an attempt to address some of the 85 problems mentioned in this thread:

I-85/385 Gateway

Old 07-04-2018, 11:36 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I travel most of I-85 in the Upstate daily - I've concluded after living here since '08 that SCDOT is merely playing catch-up/exhibits complete apathy/possibly corrupt - after living in multiple states, I've never seen a major interstate system is such disrepair

years ago, the ridiculous I-185 toll road should have been re-routed around the Upstate to be a mandatory truck bypass - the amount of truck traffic currently is crazy - I'm baffled that so many trucks drive thru the Upstate during rush hour

secondary Upstate roads are just as bad

one just needs to compare Greenville/Upstate to pier cities - I regularly travel to Greensboro/Triad - I'm always astounded at the amazing interstate system there

lastly, the state of SC is flush with money - the state income tax rate is very high (effing 7% for those making more than $14,650) - additionally, both gas taxes/auto sales taxes were recently raised (albeit, both very low rates previously) - spend the effing money and fix the d@mn roads - BUT, utilize companies/organizations that will appropriately repair/construct these roads - I've seen some atrocious/incompetent repairs!
^ this.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:52 AM

446 posts, read 414,580 times
I’ve lived in Atlanta, Philadelphia and Washington, DC. People complaining about traffic here don’t know what traffic is. Yes, Woodruff Road is a disaster but that’s the worst of it. Even the bottlenecks on the interstate are nothing compared to other cities.

And honestly, I’ve been VERY impressed with the construction on the I-385 and I-85 area. Never have I seen such a major project be done with so little impact on traffic flow. It’s been incredibly well planned having various sections done to ensure that work could be done on others without road closures.

I haven’t been to Seattle but I’m 99% sure the traffic is better here. Just avoid Woodruff Road as much as possible. County planning of retail development was non existent on that road.
Way too much for a road not even close to being able to support it.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:58 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,328 times
The problems on 85 between Greenville and Spartanburg are not being addressed in a manner that will have any lasting effect. The freeway should be at least 4 lanes, if not 5 for the entire length. The current 3 lanes doesn't cut it and they're not widening 85 (perhaps between 385 and Pelham Rd, only a small portion) as part of the project. Right now there is a huge bottleneck at 85 and 385 on the Greenville side and where 85 and business 85 merge in Spartanburg. And that's another ridiculous situation on the Spartanburg side. Cutting a major 3 lane interstate down to 1 lane for eight miles, for a year now, and it's still going on, is ludicrous and another sign of the SCDOT's lack of planning. They are reactive, not proactive and by the time they act, the fix or "upgrade" is way too late. The 30 mile commute between the two cities takes on a good day, an hour and 15 minutes. There aren't too many good days. One accident, and you're looking at an hour and a half or longer.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:19 AM

308 posts, read 269,656 times
There are two themes that are apparent which are not mutually exclusive. First, the traffic in larger cities is worse and more spread out. It's easy to pick any larger city that has traffic worse than Greenville. However, Greenville and the surrounding suburbs still have bad traffic, worse than they should for a metro of its size. I-85 is inadequate to handle local traffic and all of the truck traffic that comes through town. The secondary road system is ... well there really isn't one. There are mostly 2-lane roads that have long backups at a stop light. Any wreck on I-85 quickly creates havoc on alternate routes.

SCDOT and the locals in charge do an incredibly poor job of planning for infrastructure. Until very recently they also did a very poor job of design and construction. Riding around town it is easy to see the prior incompetence in design: entrances to businesses that aren't aligned with intersections or very close to intersections, poor sightlines, lack of shoulders, lack of guardrails, etc.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:25 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,175,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP69 View Post
I’ve lived in Atlanta, Philadelphia and Washington, DC. People complaining about traffic here don’t know what traffic is. Yes, Woodruff Road is a disaster but that’s the worst of it. Even the bottlenecks on the interstate are nothing compared to other cities.

And honestly, I’ve been VERY impressed with the construction on the I-385 and I-85 area. Never have I seen such a major project be done with so little impact on traffic flow. It’s been incredibly well planned having various sections done to ensure that work could be done on others without road closures.

I haven’t been to Seattle but I’m 99% sure the traffic is better here. Just avoid Woodruff Road as much as possible. County planning of retail development was non existent on that road.
Way too much for a road not even close to being able to support it.
Couldn't of said it better myself.I

Coming originally from Miami, I have NEVER seen traffic here like I saw it daily there and that was when I escaped 8 years ago. Plus, there's a lot more courteous drivers here, which makes a difference. If we were all courteous drivers could you imagine how much better driving would be!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area