Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:26 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_potion_darling View Post
Personal interests are simple: ANYTHING OUTSIDE, specifically hiking,(backpacking) kayaking, fishing (catch and release, not much for eating them, unless it's the Salmon season) waterfalls, rivers, floating, gardening, trail running, even something as simple as a wooded nature trail in the proximity. This is a large pull of why I think I will enjoy the area.
There are more than a lifetime's worth of hiking trails within a 3 hour radius of Greenville. I figure I'll be working on just trails in the Jocassee area for the next few years. There are a couple of backpacking trails in the SC foothills (Foothills and Palmetto trails) and there are a lot more in Western NC (Appalachian trail, Art Loeb trail, Bartram trail, etc.). Kayaking - flatwater on Lakes Hartwell, Keowee, or Jocassee. Whitewater kayaking on the Chattooga, Green, French Broad, Pigeon, Nantahala, etc. There is lots of fishing either in the previously mentioned lakes or fly fishing for trout in the mountain streams. We have world class fly fishing in the general area. There are tons of waterfalls in both the Upstate of SC and in Western NC - North Carolina Waterfalls - Nature Photography - Image Licensing - Southern Appalachian Wildflowers - Brevard Transylvania County - Fall Color is a great site and even has a page for the SC stuff. Floating - (?tubing?) rivers are abundant. The Lower Green may be the most tubed river anywhere but there are also other ones that are quieter where you'd need to bring your own tube. There are several local gardening groups and the SC Botanical garden in Clemson provides a lot of inspiration (and has a great plant sale in the spring and fall). We are on the dividing line between zones 7 and 8 and you can grow a pretty wide variety of plants for food or landscaping in the area. I don't do any trail running but I'm sure some of the local trails would be good for that - just don't run me over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 10:16 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
I am considering relocating to Greenville so I want to check it out from both a tourist perspective, and as a possible place to move to. Considerations such as traffic, and such.

What are the top things one must do/see/experience when in Greenville? I enjoy the outdoors very much, and love trying local food.

A lot will depend whether you will be working or retired. If working, what type of job and where would be your job.

Greenville traffic has gotten busier during the morning and evening rush hours. Especially around the town center and the I-385. Other than those times it is easy driving. The mountains are close by. There is great rails-trails Swamp rabbit trail. Sometimes the summers get too hot but for someone living in Dallas that should not be a problem.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:41 PM

230 posts, read 230,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
A lot will depend whether you will be working or retired. If working, what type of job and where would be your job.

Greenville traffic has gotten busier during the morning and evening rush hours. Especially around the town center and the I-385. Other than those times it is easy driving. The mountains are close by. There is great rails-trails Swamp rabbit trail. Sometimes the summers get too hot but for someone living in Dallas that should not be a problem.

I WISH I was retired -- but alas, I hear working is only bad for the first 40 years or so, eh?

The city seems an ideal place for for my partner, he is a manufacturing plant manager. I can work remotely, but my preference would obviously be to eventually find local work once settled.

I've been watching the heat there a couple of months, it doesn't seem awful at all, maybe slightly more humid.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:44 PM

230 posts, read 230,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
There are more than a lifetime's worth of hiking trails within a 3 hour radius of Greenville. I figure I'll be working on just trails in the Jocassee area for the next few years. There are a couple of backpacking trails in the SC foothills (Foothills and Palmetto trails) and there are a lot more in Western NC (Appalachian trail, Art Loeb trail, Bartram trail, etc.). Kayaking - flatwater on Lakes Hartwell, Keowee, or Jocassee. Whitewater kayaking on the Chattooga, Green, French Broad, Pigeon, Nantahala, etc. There is lots of fishing either in the previously mentioned lakes or fly fishing for trout in the mountain streams. We have world class fly fishing in the general area. There are tons of waterfalls in both the Upstate of SC and in Western NC - North Carolina Waterfalls - Nature Photography - Image Licensing - Southern Appalachian Wildflowers - Brevard Transylvania County - Fall Color is a great site and even has a page for the SC stuff. Floating - (?tubing?) rivers are abundant. The Lower Green may be the most tubed river anywhere but there are also other ones that are quieter where you'd need to bring your own tube. There are several local gardening groups and the SC Botanical garden in Clemson provides a lot of inspiration (and has a great plant sale in the spring and fall). We are on the dividing line between zones 7 and 8 and you can grow a pretty wide variety of plants for food or landscaping in the area. I don't do any trail running but I'm sure some of the local trails would be good for that - just don't run me over

Wow, thanks for this--Maybe a whole week is warranted for our visit!

"Floating" must be a west coast colloquialism (my bad, I am sure I will run into a lot of that with various subjects!) I did mean "tubing."

I miss fly-fishing so much, that will have to be added to the to-do list, as well!

Old 07-26-2018, 07:22 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for this--Maybe a whole week is warranted for our visit!

"Floating" must be a west coast colloquialism (my bad, I am sure I will run into a lot of that with various subjects!) I did mean "tubing."

I miss fly-fishing so much, that will have to be added to the to-do list, as well!
This area has some really good opportunities for fly fishing. The Chattooga headwaters, Pigeon headwaters, French Broad headwaters, and Wilson Creek are all pristine fly fishing waters that are located almost completely within wilderness areas. Headwaters outfitters in Rosman, NC has a great store and good local guides that would be a good resource if you want to get back into that sport. Closer to Greenville, people do some fly fishing on the upper reaches of the Saluda. I haven't done any fly fishing in years but I see a lot of fishermen on the creeks I use for whitewater kayaking.

I've heard floating used in regards to both tubing and for flatwater kayaking.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:12 PM

11 posts, read 16,417 times
These posts helped me too, thx all😀

Old 07-27-2018, 01:31 AM

423 posts, read 898,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
If you are considering coming in spring, Artisphere happens in April and is a lot of fun. There is a Greek festival in the spring as well.

There is a lot to do in the area - what is best for you will depend a lot on your individual interests.
A couple of downsides to coming during Artisphere, especially for your first visit: Hotels (and other lodging) are all booked for miles and the rates are much higher than usual. Airfare is also probably more expensive. Also, coming during a festival or large event downtown does not give an accurate view of everyday life here. Because streets are blocked off, downtown will be difficult to navigate when driving. I think you would appreciate the downtown more when it is less congested. There are lots of fun things to see during Artisphere, but in terms of exploring the city as a possible place to live, I would consider spending at least 4 full days here during a "normal" week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area