Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM

5,519 posts, read 15,294,067 times

Advertisements

Izzy20, would you mind sharing more details (at least the names) about the clubs, church, school(s), and etc. with us? Thanks!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 AM

5,519 posts, read 15,294,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
I'd be a little more careful with making judgments after reading something online.
This is good advice. For example, this thread's topic could actually be a fictitious tale conceived by someone who has not spent a day's worth of time in the Upstate. For the record, I am not suggesting the information in this thread is completely inaccurate, but since there is no way to verify its accuracy -- it is based on a single opinion and anyone sitting at a computer with Internet access can use it for such purposes -- it remains a reasonable hypothesis.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,450,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
I find it interesting, that some people just won't belief that somebody can actually have a bad experience in Greenville.
That's not it. The issue I think most of us have is that a bad experience like the one described, when it occurs in the south, is blamed on a racist/close-minded culture. The same thing in another part of the country, especially in a large city known to be "open-minded," wouldn't be viewed that way at all. The double standard sucks, and most of us who love the south are tired of it.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,490,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
That's not it. The issue I think most of us have is that a bad experience like the one described, when it occurs in the south, is blamed on a racist/close-minded culture. The same thing in another part of the country, especially in a large city known to be "open-minded," wouldn't be viewed that way at all. The double standard sucks, and most of us who love the south are tired of it.
Hear, HEAR!!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,807,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
This is good advice. For example, this thread's topic could actually be a fictitious tale conceived by someone who has not spent a day's worth of time in the Upstate. For the record, I am not suggesting the information in this thread is completely inaccurate, but since there is no way to verify its accuracy -- it is based on a single opinion and anyone sitting at a computer with Internet access can use it for such purposes -- it remains a reasonable hypothesis.
Excellent post.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 PM

182 posts, read 491,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
You Greenvillians....you're just plain evil! Your compliments on our 22 year relationship, your willingness to help out whenever needed, your hugs, your humor, your love for life, your charitable contributions, your neighborly attitude, your prayers during tough times, your caring, your fun loving attitude.....I know it is all really just an evil bigoted plot!

Cheers to you! and your sarcasm/humor is as clever as it gets! Thank you for your kind words about Greenville...confirming once again that it is indeed the most wonderful city in which I have ever had the pleasure of living..and I can't wait to move back...some day very soon...the kindest people I have EVER met!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 AM

25 posts, read 64,146 times
I have listened to what everyone said. I have learned a lot from this thread and from living here for three years. I shared my experiences. I had negative experiences and my children had negative experiences. I have met some wonderful people that I am going to hate leaving. In sharing my experiences I have noticed that most people have been dismissive. Is it really that hard to believe?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:53 AM

477 posts, read 835,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy20 View Post
I have listened to what everyone said. I have learned a lot from this thread and from living here for three years. I shared my experiences. I had negative experiences and my children had negative experiences. I have met some wonderful people that I am going to hate leaving. In sharing my experiences I have noticed that most people have been dismissive. Is it really that hard to believe?
No, I don't think it is hard to believe. That's sometimes the way it goes. It is very unfortunate for you. I am not judging if you are right to complain or not since I don't know you. All I know is that it is too bad that it didn't work out for you.Ask yourself if you tried everything to make friends here and if that is the case and it still didn't work out just move on and find a few good people somewhere else that you really get along with. You don't have to be friends with everybody. Good luck.

Btw: I know that people from here love Greenville and are tired of being called rednecks or racists or whatever but I noticed that sometimes people in this forum get overly defensive and judge people they have never met even though they can't really know their story.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM

25 posts, read 64,146 times
Thanks toto, yes we really did try. In some of my previous posts I stated that we became active in our community, church, kids did sports and youth groups, we went to a lot of organized community events, sporting events. And I know that people from around here love Greenville because we also LOVED Greenville. We had some great family outings there and whenever we had family in from out of town that was the first place we took them. Also loved Charleston. We had some amazing mini-vacations there as well. Its been a learning experience and now we are ready to move on. Thanks

Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 AM

506 posts, read 1,216,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Exactly. The sad thing is, in my own personal experiences, this happens *far* more often in the north than the south. I go to the NJ/NY area quite often and the people up there seem to be far more racist and rude than anyone I've ever met in SC/FL/GA. Washington state was maybe even worse than NJ/NY. I have no idea why people just assume the south is where this happens. Also considering how many hispanic people are here (hint: lots), I find it hard to believe that the discrimination (or whatnot) is extremely bad. Everywhere I go (friends homes, my own home, work etc) there are tons of people of varying ethnic backgrounds - black, white, hispanic, asian, indian, etc, and I've yet to ever see one that was discriminated against, spoken down to, or racially profiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area