Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:51 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times

Advertisements

We took a ride around Greer and Taylors this weekend for the first time.

Wow.

(May no one read into something that isn't there): the area is a good ten years *behind* the Charlotte area in terms of "feel;" Sunday was kinda quiet; people were polite, friendly, and reserved...it was delightful!

May the area never change !

The suggested Taylors & Greer areas were excellent recommendations, and the mountain view in North Greer was beautiful.

I know that my "concern" might seem frivolous to some, but the one thing that I didn't care for was Greer's tap water, whose chloramine content was very noticeable.

Yes...I know that I can drink bottled water, but I would rather live in an area where the water is more agreeable. I never noticed the chloramine content in Greenville's water; would y'all say that Greenville's water is any different than Greer's tap water? Is it possible that the chloramine content in Greer's water may be a little on the high side right now?

I also wanted to know: do the rent prices fluctuate throughout the year, depending on the season? For in Charlotte, the rents are lowest around Christmas. Is it the same in the Greenville area?

Finally - I am not the kind of person who's a shopper (unless its for tools ) - but I ask out of curiosity: is Haywood Mall Greenville's sole shopping mall? Also, are there no factory outlets in Greenville? (Again, I ask out of interest; shopping mall availability is not a deal breaker for my Wife or I). Are there any country general stores in the area that are "must sees"? Aunt Sue's in Table Rock is a favorite of ours, and I wondered if there were any more stores like it .

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 03:22 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,013 times
No clue on the water. We noticed that the water in Spartanburg was better tasting and cheaper than where we were in Va.

Now shopping . . . That, I know.

Haywood Mall is by far the largest and best selection. Woodruff Road has Talbots, Chicos, White House/Black Market, Costco, Cabelas, Bed Bath & Beyond, mid-range furniture stores etc. There is an outlet mall in Gaffney. It’s not great but has some good shops.

Glad you’re finding things you like.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:26 AM

1,279 posts, read 851,840 times
Yes, Haywood is Greenville’s only enclosed mall. The other ones all went out of business 15-20 years ago. The Shops at Greenridge, Magnolia Park, downtown and strip centers on Augusta Road also all have chains that are typically in malls, though.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:15 AM

5,486 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
We took a ride around Greer and Taylors this weekend for the first time.

Wow.

(May no one read into something that isn't there): the area is a good ten years *behind* the Charlotte area in terms of "feel;" Sunday was kinda quiet; people were polite, friendly, and reserved...it was delightful!

May the area never change !

The suggested Taylors & Greer areas were excellent recommendations, and the mountain view in North Greer was beautiful.

I know that my "concern" might seem frivolous to some, but the one thing that I didn't care for was Greer's tap water, whose chloramine content was very noticeable.

Yes...I know that I can drink bottled water, but I would rather live in an area where the water is more agreeable. I never noticed the chloramine content in Greenville's water; would y'all say that Greenville's water is any different than Greer's tap water? Is it possible that the chloramine content in Greer's water may be a little on the high side right now?

I also wanted to know: do the rent prices fluctuate throughout the year, depending on the season? For in Charlotte, the rents are lowest around Christmas. Is it the same in the Greenville area?

Finally - I am not the kind of person who's a shopper (unless its for tools ) - but I ask out of curiosity: is Haywood Mall Greenville's sole shopping mall? Also, are there no factory outlets in Greenville? (Again, I ask out of interest; shopping mall availability is not a deal breaker for my Wife or I). Are there any country general stores in the area that are "must sees"? Aunt Sue's in Table Rock is a favorite of ours, and I wondered if there were any more stores like it .

Thanks in advance.
To my knowledge, all public water in Greenville county is from the same source, which is the Greenville Water System. The water comes from protected water reservoirs in the mountains. They have won awards for water quality and to me it is second to none. Tap water is actually better than bottled in most places.
https://www.greenvillewater.com/mood...ith-aaa-score/

Old 10-02-2018, 06:35 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
To my knowledge, all public water in Greenville county is from the same source, which is the Greenville Water System. The water comes from protected water reservoirs in the mountains. They have won awards for water quality and to me it is second to none. Tap water is actually better than bottled in most places.
No, no, no! I sincerely hope you aren't telling this to your clients! (The link you provided is about Greenville Water's financial situation, not water quality)

Greenville water has several sources and several treatment plants. Greer has it's own plant from different sources.

https://www.greercpw.com/greer-water

https://www.greenvillewater.com/our-water/resources/

We've lived in 3 different homes in Greenville and have had different tasting water in all three (we tested them as well).

Some tested great, some tested horribly - full of pesticides. Tap water that tested great in one month can be full of pesticides in the spring/summer.

The water quality (and taste) can vary greatly from place to place (within the City of Greenville even), and changes through the year.

Get a good quality filter is my advice.

Last edited by Art123; 10-02-2018 at 06:59 AM..

Old 10-02-2018, 07:13 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,290,476 times
I think most of Greer's supply comes from lake Robinson. There is some development around that lake and in the area it drains. Greer has its own separate system and is not part of the Greenville system.

Greenville gets most of it's water from two lakes pretty high up in the Saluda drainage - Table Rock and North Saluda reservoirs. There is virtually no development in the watershed for either lake (there is a single hiking trail in the North Saluda drainage) so the water is pretty clean. They do source some water from Lake Keowee as well and that lake has some limited development along the lake and in the drainage areas for the lake. It's still probably a lot cleaner than the average municipal water system, though. Any contaminants found in Greenville's water are probably coming from Keowee.

Marietta in Greenville County has its own system, as does the Blue Ridge area, and the previously mentioned separate Greer system. Pretty much everything in Pickens and Anderson counties is going to be on different systems.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:22 AM

632 posts, read 748,157 times
NDL
Give it a few days and try the water again. We sometimes experience the same taste/smell with the Greenville system, but it dies down after a short while. It's usually right after they've had some maintenance issue and need to assure purity.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:25 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
As for the water quality in Taylors, we never had an issue with chloramine content. The water was very good and you could drink it from the faucet. We got our water from Greenville water. Now my daughter has Blue Ridge Water and her water tastes like dirt.

As for shopping, the Haywood Mall is the only enclosed mall in the area. Woodruff Rd has a ton of shopping. Cherrydale Point is outdoor shopping area as well.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:42 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
No clue on the water. We noticed that the water in Spartanburg was better tasting and cheaper than where we were in Va.

Now shopping . . . That, I know.

Haywood Mall is by far the largest and best selection. Woodruff Road has Talbots, Chicos, White House/Black Market, Costco, Cabelas, Bed Bath & Beyond, mid-range furniture stores etc. There is an outlet mall in Gaffney. It’s not great but has some good shops.

Glad you’re finding things you like.
I'm glad (and thankful) that you gave me a couple of excellent suggestions ! It was kinda funny too; as I made my way around, I didn't remark to my Wife about the (Taylors) YMCA building location as a marker, and out of nowhere, as we passed the YMCA building vicinity, she said: "I like it here; this seems nice"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Yes, Haywood is Greenville’s only enclosed mall. The other ones all went out of business 15-20 years ago. The Shops at Greenridge, Magnolia Park, downtown and strip centers on Augusta Road also all have chains that are typically in malls, though.
Appreciate the into Puppies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Appreciate the reply DSMRE. I have no doubt that the water is good (as it comes from the mountains), although I am not a fan of chloramine treatment. Aquatic life cannot tolerate chloramines, nor can people with kidney issues, etc.

There aren't any issues with traditional chlorine however, which is also easy to remove via filtration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
We've lived in 3 different homes in Greenville and have had different tasting water in all three (we tested them as well).

Some tested great, some tested horribly - full of pesticides. Tap water that tested great in one month can be full of pesticides in the spring/summer.

The water quality (and taste) can vary greatly from place to place (within the City of Greenville even), and changes through the year.

Respectfully: I can't imagine Greenville's Water as being pesticide laden; my main issue is the chloramine residual in the water, which is even a challenge to reverse osmosis systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I think most of Greer's supply comes from lake Robinson. There is some development around that lake and in the area it drains. Greer has its own separate system and is not part of the Greenville system.

Greenville gets most of it's water from two lakes pretty high up in the Saluda drainage - Table Rock and North Saluda reservoirs. There is virtually no development in the watershed for either lake (there is a single hiking trail in the North Saluda drainage) so the water is pretty clean. They do source some water from Lake Keowee as well and that lake has some limited development along the lake and in the drainage areas for the lake. It's still probably a lot cleaner than the average municipal water system, though. Any contaminants found in Greenville's water are probably coming from Keowee.

Marietta in Greenville County has its own system, as does the Blue Ridge area, and the previously mentioned separate Greer system. Pretty much everything in Pickens and Anderson counties is going to be on different systems.
Thanks Whitewater, for the helpful reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
As for the water quality in Taylors, we never had an issue with chloramine content. The water was very good and you could drink it from the faucet. We got our water from Greenville water. Now my daughter has Blue Ridge Water and her water tastes like dirt.

As for shopping, the Haywood Mall is the only enclosed mall in the area. Woodruff Rd has a ton of shopping. Cherrydale Point is outdoor shopping area as well.
Excellent info Becky...thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
NDL
Give it a few days and try the water again. We sometimes experience the same taste/smell with the Greenville system, but it dies down after a short while. It's usually right after they've had some maintenance issue and need to assure purity.
Appreciate the tip, Cedge. I am glad to hear that it might be an occasional thing, as I have lived in areas where the tap water was unpalatable (extremely high iron content) - so tap water quality and having the ability to buy tea/coffee from local restaurants is a factor for me when choosing a place to live.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:44 AM

5,486 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
No, no, no! I sincerely hope you aren't telling this to your clients! (The link you provided is about Greenville Water's financial situation, not water quality)

Greenville water has several sources and several treatment plants. Greer has it's own plant from different sources.

https://www.greercpw.com/greer-water

https://www.greenvillewater.com/our-water/resources/

This is a link I looked up in the spare of the moment to provide information from Greenville Water. I'm personally friends with someone in management there. They have indeed won awards for water quality. We have some of the best water in the nation. And yes I tell my clients that when they ask, because it is indeed some of the best water I've tasted. They are serious about water quality. To the op, if you ever get a chance take a ride up to the reservoir. It is beautiful and very protected. They actually patrol the area and will run you off if you stop. I stand by what I said. All of the properties I've sold from Greenville south to Fountain Inn had Greenville water. So I stand corrected about Greer.

Last edited by DSMRE; 10-02-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area