Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 PM

150 posts, read 217,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
There are areas in Greenville County where there is too much growth (i.e. Woodruff Road) and areas where there is not much growth (Berea, Moonville, Travelers Rest).
When I moved here three years ago to a neighborhood just south of Travelers Rest, it was a sleepy little town that had seen some incremental growth, due in large part to the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Since then, the amount of new housing developments has astonished me (of course, I moved from VT, where the building of ONE home, let alone a whole subdivision, was reason for celebration). I do a lot of bike riding in a 30 mile radius around TR, and frequently see areas being cleared for homes. One realtor told me the "TR is the new Five Forks".

What surprises me most though is the number of new apartment complexes springing up around GVL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 02:27 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
Not to pour cold water on those who wish for GSP to remain like it was 10 years ago, but GSP has been discovered. And since it's been discovered, people are going to continue coming here by the busload whether you like it or not. I see some parallels between GSP and Austin: one interstate, good economy with some innovation lumped in, reasonable cost of living, access to good scenery, and a thriving downtown. In Austin's case, despite push back from NIMBY's and the green crowd to not build up the infrastructure, people kept coming anyways and it became completely traffic-choked beyond its relative population to major cities.

The city and county councils are not the ones creating plans for housing developments, supermarkets, and self-storage places. Developers are because the demand is here. Short of something cataclysmic like BMW closing up the plant tomorrow and telling all their employees and suppliers to go home, I do not see it reversing course.
And BMW closing wouldn't necessarily reverse it either. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't the upstate's largest employer. If it was Spartanburg would be out growing Greenville as BMW is in Spartanburg County. It would take a hit, but not reverse growth in my opinion. Most Greenville people work in Greenville County. That's why Spartanburg is still currently it's own MSA.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:02 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
And BMW closing wouldn't necessarily reverse it either. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't the upstate's largest employer. If it was Spartanburg would be out growing Greenville as BMW is in Spartanburg County. It would take a hit, but not reverse growth in my opinion. Most Greenville people work in Greenville County. That's why Spartanburg is still currently it's own MSA.
Though true that BMW is in Spartanburg County, it would be coy to suggest that BMW isn’t deeply integrated into the economy of Greenville County. A theoretical shut down means thousands who are directly employed (+8,000) by BMW would lose their jobs + a great deal of suppliers (which, by the way, employ between 30-35,000 people in the Upstate) in Greenville County would no longer operate. It’s difficult to suggest the growth wouldn’t reverse, or at the least stagnate, with BMW closing.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:26 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
This thread is depressing. The growth helps economic development which helps job security which helps my 401K.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Though true that BMW is in Spartanburg County, it would be coy to suggest that BMW isn’t deeply integrated into the economy of Greenville County. A theoretical shut down means thousands who are directly employed (+8,000) by BMW would lose their jobs + a great deal of suppliers (which, by the way, employ between 30-35,000 people in the Upstate) in Greenville County would no longer operate. It’s difficult to suggest the growth wouldn’t reverse, or at the least stagnate, with BMW closing.
Most of Greenville County doesn't work at BMW or it's suppliers. There are about 4 employers that employee more people in Greenville County. It is Spartanburg's largest employer though. Also, if the majority of people in Greenville worked at BMW, Spartanburg would be included in the Greenville MSA; but it isn't. Would it be a large blow? Yes. Would it kill Greenville's economy? Effect it I'm sure, but with 4 larger employers I doubt it reverses Greenville when BMW is in Spartanburg's economy. Who know though.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:26 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,049 times
I agree with apollo77.

Population growth is not always a good thing. Plenty of European cities are beautiful and have thriving economies without that.

What matters is growth in incomes per person, and overall higher living standards (more wealth per capita, better schools, higher-paying jobs that replace lower-paying jobs, better healthcare, etc.).

For the argument that "Greenville is conservative and always will be": California used to be a red state even as late as the 1980s. Change the population and the politics change.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I agree with apollo77.

Population growth is not always a good thing. Plenty of European cities are beautiful and have thriving economies without that.

What matters is growth in incomes per person, and overall higher living standards (more wealth per capita, better schools, higher-paying jobs that replace lower-paying jobs, better healthcare, etc.).

For the argument that "Greenville is conservative and always will be": California used to be a red state even as late as the 1980s. Change the population and the politics change.
Who said it will always be conservative? It is currently though along with most of the powers that lead Greenville currently.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
This has got to be the most depressing thread I have seen since that one by Art123.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:52 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo77 View Post
I've seen firsthand how rampant overdevelopment for the sake of tax revenue leads to overcrowding, traffic, deteriorating infrastructure, crime, and a greatly reduced quality of life. Many have left New Jersey, not only for the crazy taxes, but for the reasons I mentioned above.
I now live in the South, but I have lived in Nassau, Suffolk, Queens & Richmond Counties (NY), and a year in Middlesex County.

In Central/South NJ, I didn't care for all the growth that took place, but the State seemed to have taken some measures to mitigate the negative effects that growth brings. Example: land developers were often responsible for road improvements surrounding each new development; this included the addition of lanes, and left and right hand turning lanes. The GSP has a total of twelve lanes; six in each direction.

Again, I lament the loss of open land in NJ, but the State did take some proactive measures to ensure the land's viability.

NY is a disaster zone. Either a disaster has taken place in NY, or one will take place, near or far future. Everything's a cash grab. Services cost a bundle and the quality thereof is poor. I hate NY.

Now as for South Carolina, this might seem incendiary (it surely isn't meant to be), but I think the State, at it's core, is rural/semi rural in nature. South Carolina isn't a State that's densely populated, and I think that the policies/planning reflect that.

When I first visited Charlotte ten years ago, Pat McCrory was Mayor; the small majority of residents were Southern; people were polite and kind; the pace wasn't harried, and traffic wasn't a big issue.

Now look at Charlotte.

"Yes, but NDL, you moved to the South from the mid Atlantic. Shouldn't other people have the same opportunity?"

Yes, but I didn't move down South to get the southern "version" of New York. Charlotte is not New York, but it approaches the New York lifestyle enough such that I have sometimes thought: "If I have to tolerate Charlotte's version of NY, I might as well go back to NY to rejoin my family and friends."

Charlotte has a lot going for it, but the consequences of rapid growth are seldom acknowledged.

In ten years, Charlotte did a 180. While that's not likely to happen in Greenville, we ought not repeat Charlotte's mistakes which come as a result of rapid growth.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:46 PM

26 posts, read 30,162 times
BMW is the largest employer in the Upstate, by far. The next largest employers are GHS (Prism), Greenville County School District, Bon Secours and Michelin. Three of the four, you could argue, have been directly impacted by the emergence of BMW over the last 25+ years. BMW was the single greatest catalyst to the growth of the GSP area.

As far as growth is concern. Greenville County will be developing their Comprehensive Plan over the next year. Given today's County Council and the current zoning plans, you will see urban sprawl much aligned with that of Atlanta if not fixed. Infrastructure is an absolute key to creating efficient and healthy living in the GSP region. I implore you to be involved with this process at some level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area