U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:44 AM

33 posts, read 61,902 times

Advertisements

I posted this as a response to a recent thread, but I thought it worth a wider audience.

There have been many posts about the growth and development in the Greenville area. The opinion seems to be fairly split, where many love the idea of booming development, while others are concerned and want it limited.

Seeing all these discussions is like deja-vu for me who grew up in the northern New Jersey area.

I've seen firsthand how rampant overdevelopment for the sake of tax revenue leads to overcrowding, traffic, deteriorating infrastructure, crime, and a greatly reduced quality of life. Many have left New Jersey, not only for the crazy taxes, but for the reasons I mentioned above.

I've visited the Greenville area with my family several times over the past year. After each visit, we've left with the feeling that Greenville is trying to do too much, too fast.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for growth and development. It's vital to the health of a region.
However, it needs to be done with great foresight and planning.

As one who is planning to relocate to Greenville to get away from NY Metro area politics and planning, I hope that Greenville comes to their senses soon. As northern NJ has recognized, you can't undo these bad decisions.

Hope to be back in Greenville soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 AM

20,241 posts, read 19,926,417 times
There are areas in Greenville County where there is too much growth (i.e. Woodruff Road) and areas where there is not much growth (Berea, Moonville, Travelers Rest).

Old 10-09-2018, 09:56 AM

2,538 posts, read 2,307,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
There are areas in Greenville County where there is too much growth (i.e. Woodruff Road) and areas where there is not much growth (Berea, Moonville, Travelers Rest).
While that is true, there are pretty much no places in the state that are doing an adequate job of intelligent planning for growth. A drive down Woodruff Road in Greenville, Clemson Blvd in Anderson, Hwy 123 in Easley, or even Hwy 153 in Powdersville will confirm that this area doesn't do much to plan for sprawl and growth.

There are still a lot of positives in the area that in my view outweigh the negatives but planning for growth doesn't really happen in this area.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:17 AM

4,606 posts, read 6,560,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo77 View Post
I posted this as a response to a recent thread, but I thought it worth a wider audience.

There have been many posts about the growth and development in the Greenville area. The opinion seems to be fairly split, where many love the idea of booming development, while others are concerned and want it limited.

Seeing all these discussions is like deja-vu for me who grew up in the northern New Jersey area.

I've seen firsthand how rampant overdevelopment for the sake of tax revenue leads to overcrowding, traffic, deteriorating infrastructure, crime, and a greatly reduced quality of life. Many have left New Jersey, not only for the crazy taxes, but for the reasons I mentioned above.

I've visited the Greenville area with my family several times over the past year. After each visit, we've left with the feeling that Greenville is trying to do too much, too fast.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for growth and development. It's vital to the health of a region.
However, it needs to be done with great foresight and planning.

As one who is planning to relocate to Greenville to get away from NY Metro area politics and planning, I hope that Greenville comes to their senses soon. As northern NJ has recognized, you can't undo these bad decisions.

Hope to be back in Greenville soon!
The growth here is moderate at best, and taxes will never be like NJ. This is the South and Greenville is still fairly conservative. You don't like growth but here you come. People want to come just like you do. Right?

Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
The growth here is moderate at best, and taxes will never be like NJ. This is the South and Greenville is still fairly conservative. You don't like growth but here you come. People want to come just like you do. Right?
FYI. I'm very conservative, and you know nothing about me.

Yes, I want to come to Greenville because I love the people and the area and hope to see it maintain it's charm.
Bless your heart

Old 10-09-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
FYI. I'm very conservative, and you know nothing about me.

Yes, I want to come to Greenville because I love the people and the area and hope to see it maintain it's charm.
Bless your heart
I wasn't trying to offend, and wasn't talking about your political beliefs. It wasn't about you, but about this area. I used that to point out that you will not see taxes the likes of NJ, because conservatives generally don't want to pay more taxes. I myself am more middle ground and like to leave things open for thinking as they come along. I apologize if I offended you. Oh, and that term doesn't offend me; but just say what you're thinking. I welcome you to the area.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I wasn't trying to offend, and wasn't talking about your political beliefs. It wasn't about you, but about this area. I used that to point out that you will not see taxes the likes of NJ, because conservatives generally don't want to pay more taxes. I myself am more middle ground and like to leave things open for thinking as they come along. I apologize if I offended you. Oh, and that term doesn't offend me; but just say what you're thinking. I welcome you to the area.
None taken. I too apologize if I misinterpreted your comment.
It's all good
Thanks DSMRE.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
None taken. I too apologize if I misinterpreted your comment.
It's all good
Thanks DSMRE.
That can happen in forums where you can't see facial expressions etc. I could've written it better. I know what you mean. You don't want to see the congestion like what you're seeing in NJ, but I think we will never hit that point. I have family up there. If I remember correctly in Parlin.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:03 PM

136 posts, read 208,129 times
I hate it when people try an stifle necessary growth with the cliche of "charm" or "small town life". That's the major reason that I moved away from Asheville. The GSP area in a fast growing industrial/manufacturing area and the results of that are ongoing infrastructure projects and booming commercial areas. Frankly, the growth is too slow and needs pick up the pace to try and keep up with the demand. Projects like the new Woodruff road bypass that will give people a new route to take are what we need, not a slow down of development.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:09 PM

261 posts, read 144,058 times
Not to pour cold water on those who wish for GSP to remain like it was 10 years ago, but GSP has been discovered. And since it's been discovered, people are going to continue coming here by the busload whether you like it or not. I see some parallels between GSP and Austin: one interstate, good economy with some innovation lumped in, reasonable cost of living, access to good scenery, and a thriving downtown. In Austin's case, despite push back from NIMBY's and the green crowd to not build up the infrastructure, people kept coming anyways and it became completely traffic-choked beyond its relative population to major cities.

The city and county councils are not the ones creating plans for housing developments, supermarkets, and self-storage places. Developers are because the demand is here. Short of something cataclysmic like BMW closing up the plant tomorrow and telling all their employees and suppliers to go home, I do not see it reversing course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area