Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM

211 posts, read 548,384 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from Michigan, possibly to the Greenville area. We are considering both Greer and Taylors for our home. Our requirements are:

A safe, quaint and charming town. We want antique shops, great restaurants (chinese, mexican, PIZZA!), GOOD grocery stores, farmers markets, town square, festivals, and a Walmart or Target are a MUST! We'd also love a mall, Lowe's (or Home Depot), book stores, ice cream shops, cafe's, coffee shops. We don't want to HAVE to go into Greenville to get things. We are looking for a town with Christian values, we are Baptists.
We have 4 kids (1 more on the way), so we want parks and plenty of fun things to do with them. Sidewalks for strolling in town, FRIENDLY people, a bed-and-breakfast type of town where people sit on their porch swings and chat with their neighbors. We HATE subdivisions and want a big house (2,000 sq. ft.+) with a big yard for around $185,000. We will send our kids to private Christian school, but want to be in an area with very good schools for resale purposes. My husband is a real estate broker with Re/Max, but is open to other opportunities, so a very good job market is imperative, along with GOOD pay! I am a SAHM, so only his income, which is around $100k here in Northern Michigan (dependng on RE market!). I have read that Greer's job market and pay are very poor. Is this the case?

Questions:

1.) If my husband HAS to work in Greenville in order to find a good job and pay, how far of a commute is it (honestly) each way? If you say it's 20 miles, that doesn't sound so bad, but if it takes AN HOUR in traffic that's what we want to know. Both from Greer and Taylors.

2.) Has anyone moved to this area from Michigan? Share your experience!

3.) Which town (Greer or Taylors) sounds like a good fit for our needs? Or, does another town in the Greenville area seem more to our liking?

4.) IF we decided to live right in Greenville would we love it or hate it, based on our criteria?

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:34 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
You may want to post this in the Greenville-Spartanburg subforum.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Greer is more of a bedroom community now. Most of the industrial jobs are located on the Southern and Southeastern portions of the city and suburbs. Greer is a nice community, but the traffic and smog can be nasty. The Real Estate business was doing well in the Greenville area, but not so much any more, the reason is probably more about the fact that there are a LOT of Realtors in the area.

Pay is considerably lower than the national average anywhere in the South you go, but houses are cheaper, cost of living is cheaper, etc. so it all comes out in the wash.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:19 AM

The real estate market in Greenville is still steady compared with the national average, as has been the case for many years. Greenville fared very well during the last national economic decline, and appears to be holding strong during this one as well. It is definitely as safe as any market in the state.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:16 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,267 times
Greer/ taylors along with Mauldin and Simpsonville are really more areas of greenville that separate towns. You go drive to all of them depending on where you need to go. They all sort of flow into on another. Greer and taylors are for practical purposes the same. Greer has a downtown taylors does not!There are several Baptist in the Taylors/Greer area of all persuasions. The head of the Southern Baptist convention is the pastor of the big church in taylors,there are tons of independents thanks to BJU and then there are the Christian exodus people( I don't really have much nice to say about them, so I won't say anything, besides it's too easy). There are several mass merchants all over the area,so you will never be too far from one.I don't know about the price of homes in that area and size range,Skyliner is good for those questions.And as for the Job market in Greenville I have no Idea,I own my own company,and work all over the US except Greenville .

Best of luck, I hope you do well!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:39 AM

211 posts, read 548,384 times
southerngentleman-
Thank You! The church we are looking at is in the Greer area, and housing there looks nice and within our range. Can you tell me if there is a Walmart, Target, good grocery stores, etc. in Greer? Being that it is SO close to downtown Greenville, we can go there for most anything else, but want to at least live where there are stores in our area. We are NOT Southern Baptists, or Bob Jones people. What are Christian exodus people? I've never heard of them. Why are they bad?

Old 04-05-2008, 12:24 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
There is a Target, Walmart, several grocery stores, etc. in Greer. That's nothing though compared to this: Land owners want Greer to annex their properties | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News It will be 1.3 million square feet in size when completed.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:48 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
southerngentleman-
Thank You! The church we are looking at is in the Greer area, and housing there looks nice and within our range. Can you tell me if there is a Walmart, Target, good grocery stores, etc. in Greer? Being that it is SO close to downtown Greenville, we can go there for most anything else, but want to at least live where there are stores in our area. We are NOT Southern Baptists, or Bob Jones people. What are Christian exodus people? I've never heard of them. Why are they bad?
There are Walmart,staples,target petsmart.panarra,Chickfila,....in Greer,and it is a quick drive to others. Christian Exodus.. Basicaly there view is to take over the government or leave the country...Google them,they are scary!

Old 04-06-2008, 03:06 AM

As scary as a tiny handful of delusionary individuals can be, but since they have made absolutely no impact locally (who even knows where they ended up?), I am sure that they will quickly move on to another location, assuming they have not already done so. They were originally targeting Anderson, but I have heard nothing about them since they were talking about the move. Basically, they are not worth even mentioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area