Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:27 AM

994 posts, read 966,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
We just moved to Spartanburg from the DC area last year. We have been anything but bored. Husband has started playing pickle ball at the Y, joined a CAP wing, and is helping set up a security team at our church.

I have found a group to play mah jongg, a garden club and, of course, things at church (today is our Trunk or Treat Fall Festival).

We have been to (probably too many) wine and beer tastings, many different restaurants, music productions at the Chapman Center and Converse College. We have season tickets to the Little Theatre. We’ve also explored some trails (we, too, like hiking) like the Cottonwood Trail, toured Biltmore, checked out Tryon’s horse stuff, Saluda, and Landrum. We’ve been shopping in Charlotte and to Hilton Head for a long weekend. We like to shoot so we’ve joined a couple gun clubs and husband is going hunting for the first time soon!

That’s all in one year while remodeling a kitchen.

I can see being bored just hiking but there is so much more to offer here! The main questions is what did you do for entertainment in Cincinnati? I’m assuming you’re retired so I think this may just be a readjustment time in your life rather than a problem with the upstate. That’s a problem you will have regardless of the location.
Im far from retired, just turned 30 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 10:02 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Im far from retired, just turned 30 .
Sorry — from the 27 years in Cincinnati comment, I thought you meant working life.

Best of luck in your future.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:09 AM

300 posts, read 254,484 times
Do you do anything else hobby wise other than hiking? There are so many things to do here in Spartanburg that I can't find time to get everything done that I want to. It doesn't matter if you are 30 or 60 there is a ton of things to do. If you need guidance I will be happy to help.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nans123 View Post
Do you do anything else hobby wise other than hiking? There are so many things to do here in Spartanburg that I can't find time to get everything done that I want to. It doesn't matter if you are 30 or 60 there is a ton of things to do. If you need guidance I will be happy to help.
Not a party person, not really into drinking at all of anykind. I agree I need more hobbies. I havent done the indoor karts but have gone to frankies a few times. Back in Cincinnati/Ohio I went to amusement parks alot instead of hiking.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:15 AM

300 posts, read 254,484 times
I am a member of the Spartanburg Freewheelers we have several different rides everyday of the week and weekend all over Spartanburg County and or the city. There is also Samba mountain biking group and they have weekly rides all over too. I know they have several rides at Southside park and Croft State park each week. Spartanburg Running club has weekly runs. I would go to the Ymca on Pine Street and ask them and also become a member there. Joining the Ymca you can meet new people also. They have coed volleyball leagues. They also have adult soccer in front of the Ymca in the evenings. I believe there is also a coed kick ball league. They have swim leagues. All of these leagues look like 20-40 year olds. There are tennis leagues. Take up golf. There are hiking groups here. A group that was connected with the Ymca just got back from a week at Tahoe. There are all kinds of things you can do with the arts or music programs. I don't drink at all but that does not limit my wife and I from going out and doing things. I hope that helps.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:47 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,288,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Not a party person, not really into drinking at all of anykind. I agree I need more hobbies. I havent done the indoor karts but have gone to frankies a few times. Back in Cincinnati/Ohio I went to amusement parks alot instead of hiking.
If you like outdoor activities, there are lots of other potential ones that work well for this area. A quick list off the top of my head:

flatwater kayaking / canoeing
whitewater kayaking / canoeing
Stand up Paddle Boarding
Mountain Biking
Road biking
Fly fishing
Lake fishing
hunting (deer / turkey / bear) with rifle / bow / etc.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:23 PM

632 posts, read 747,765 times
Popwar
My question is why are you still here? At 30 with no one depending on you, its really a perfect time for having adventures. Keep local ties so you have a place to return to, until you find the place that scratches your particular itch. You might be surprised, after some travel, that it isn't boredom, so much as youthful restlessness that has you fidgeting. A few years in the USAF scratched most of my itch. Finding a loving life partner, who had a similar itch, helped too. Pick a direction and go see what lies behind the next horizon. You're not exactly welded to Grenville.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Popwar
My question is why are you still here? At 30 with no one depending on you, its really a perfect time for having adventures. Keep local ties so you have a place to return to, until you find the place that scratches your particular itch. You might be surprised, after some travel, that it isn't boredom, so much as youthful restlessness that has you fidgeting. A few years in the USAF scratched most of my itch. Finding a loving life partner, who had a similar itch, helped too. Pick a direction and go see what lies behind the next horizon. You're not exactly welded to Grenville.
I agree 100% with this! I'd lived in three different states by the time I was 30; today at 71, I've lived in seven states. Go on adventures before the committments of life tie you down. See everything you can, and dream dreams. I think we Americans are by nature restless; Alexis de Toqueville observed this during his travels in the USA in the 1830s:

Quote:
In the United States a man builds a house in which to spend his old age, and he sells it before the roof is on; he plants a garden and lets it just as the trees are coming into bearing; he brings a field into tillage and leaves other men to gather the crops; he embraces a profession and gives it up; he settles in a place, which he soon afterwards leaves to carry his changeable longings elsewhere. If his private affairs leave him any leisure, he instantly plunges into the vortex of politics; and if at the end of a year of unremitting labor he finds he has a few days' vacation, his eager curiosity whirls him over the vast extent of the United States, and he will travel fifteen hundred miles in a few days to shake off his happiness. Death at length overtakes him, but it is before he is weary of his bootless chase of that complete felicity which forever escapes him.
(source)

de Toqueville saw this as a flaw in our character; I personally think it's one of our strengths as a people.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Popwar
My father kind of sees me as his best friend so I think that's the hardest part about being so far away because both times I left he gets really upset. his place here in Greenville would be the tie I would come back to if it didn't work out where I moved so when he here's that I want to move far away he wants to go back to his hometown in Cincinnati because I won't be here in Greenville. I hate seeing him crying and upset. He has a wife, brother and sister that live here but he doesn't want to be here if I'm not here.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:49 AM

632 posts, read 747,765 times
Popwar
You've obviously got some choices to make. Parents can have just as difficult of a time cutting apron strings as their children. Trust me, I'm a grandfather.... we know these things. You're best friend has to come to understand your need to become independent and begin building your own life. Your Dad will adjust. He's got enough invested here that he's not likely to go anywhere. If he does, he already had his mind made to do so, with or without your actions. He needs to end his selfishness and let you finish growing up. It's called tough love... and it's among the least fun parts of adulting.

Talk to him and let him now you'll never be far from his heart, wherever you are at any given time. You'll always wonder what might have been, had you only taken the chance to go and see the world. Regrets, once sewn, grow larger anf larger across a whole lifetime. Yours is a rare window of opportunity, but one that closes almost completely once you settle down to shoulder routine family responsibilities. My previous input stands... in fact, I'm doubling down on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area