Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 11:36 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antenna View Post
I would not get too worried about ATSC 3.0 at this time. First, it is voluntary, so stations choose whether it makes sense for them to upgrade. Any station that does has to make its .1 signal available in the existing format by sharing a space on another transmitter for 5 years. Secondly, the 2020 date thrown around for top markets, is having a single ATSC 3.0 station operating in the market, not all the stations. The signals for 3.0 can be either full power or low power, so it's more likely we get an LPTV on Paris Mt., rather than a conversion of WYFF or WSPA.

The consortium of TV station groups that you are hearing about is trying the crack the chicken and egg issue. Nobody will sell receivers if there's nothing to receive. They also are trying to figure out what will motivate consumers most to switch: better pictures, improved reception, in-car and portable reception, more subchannels, or subscription channels. The ability to have multiple synchronized transmitters on the same channel with ATSC 3.0 is something that would be useful around here with all of the mountains.

If you are thinking about buying a new TV, don't let this slow you down. Get one with a good picture and plenty of inputs. If it catches on in a few years, you would just plug a tuner stick in an HDMI port (like a Roku or Fire) and use that instead of the built-in tuner. New sets would have the capability built into the tuners by then.
I thank you for your post.

Can you tell me a little more about the tuner sticks? The technology is cutting edge, and there isn't a lot of reading material available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 02:49 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I thank you for your post.

Can you tell me a little more about the tuner sticks? The technology is cutting edge, and there isn't a lot of reading material available.
An ATSC 3.0 tuner stick would be similar to a Roku stick or Amazon Fire stick, and will connect to the HDMI port on a flat screen TV. They may also have tuner boxes available which will also connect to the HDMI input. But the conversion to the upgraded format is voluntary rather than mandatory. The initial digital TV conversion was an FCC mandate, and required government subsidized converter boxes. This new upgrade is voluntary, and is determined by the broadcasting companies on a market by market basis. And during the transition period,the local broadcaster must continue broadcasting the current ATSC 1.0 format for 5 years. The new standard is currently being tested in Phoenix, Baltimore, and Raleigh. Sinclair is a big proponent and is testing in Baltimore, but it is unclear how soon they will choose to upgrade WLOS, their station in Asheville.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
An ATSC 3.0 tuner stick would be similar to a Roku stick or Amazon Fire stick, and will connect to the HDMI port on a flat screen TV. They may also have tuner boxes available which will also connect to the HDMI input. But the conversion to the upgraded format is voluntary rather than mandatory. The initial digital TV conversion was an FCC mandate, and required government subsidized converter boxes. This new upgrade is voluntary, and is determined by the broadcasting companies on a market by market basis. And during the transition period,the local broadcaster must continue broadcasting the current ATSC 1.0 format for 5 years. The new standard is currently being tested in Phoenix, Baltimore, and Raleigh. Sinclair is a big proponent and is testing in Baltimore, but it is unclear how soon they will choose to upgrade WLOS, their station in Asheville.
Tyler, I thank you for both your time, and for the helpful information that you gave me

Old 04-30-2019, 12:39 PM

A tuner stick or converter box may be necessary in a year or so, but for now the main consideration should be a good antenna and amplifier. Clearstream 4V/4MAX, Antop 400BV, or Winegard 7694. And Winegard LNA200 preamplifier or RCA or Channel Master versions.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:16 PM

266 posts, read 300,475 times
The LNA200 always overloaded me and caused worse reception. But again, I always had big antennas up in the air. I liked the CM 7778 mid range gain amps, but a nearby lightning strike would smoke them in a heartbeat.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Forgive me for posing it this way, but ATSC 3.0 is a crock!

"As mentioned above, ATSC 3.0 combines OTA broadcast signals with your home internet. At the base level, actual programming like shows and movies are broadcast and received over the air, while commercials are provided over the internet. Three different video formats are supported: Legacy HD, which supports resolutions up to 720×480; Interlaced HD, which supports signals up to 1080i; and Progressive Video, which supports resolutions from 1080p up to 4K UHD.

An ATSC 3.0 tuner will have two connections: One to your antenna, and another — either via Wi-Fi or Ethernet — to your Wi-Fi router. The benefit here is that you’ll only ever need one antenna in your home, since other set-top boxes, smart TVs, and mobile devices in your home will receive the TV signals over Wi-Fi. This is somewhat similar to the way master DVR and satellite boxes are employed by cable and satellite companies, only without the need for specialized equipment."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...dolby-atmos/2/

What about those homeowners who don't have the internet? Will they be forced to pay for the internet, in order to get OTA TV signals?

Old 08-26-2019, 09:08 AM

207 posts, read 216,238 times
Monoprice has their "Foldable Long Range HD8 Outdoor HDTV Antenna, 80 Mile Rang" on sale for $20. Anybody have any luck with this model?

Disconnected the attic Winegard Metrostar MS-2002 Omnidirectional Antenna a few months ago as a pair of rabbit ears was out-performing it. Thx.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gville75 View Post
Monoprice has their "Foldable Long Range HD8 Outdoor HDTV Antenna, 80 Mile Rang" on sale for $20. Anybody have any luck with this model?

Disconnected the attic Winegard Metrostar MS-2002 Omnidirectional Antenna a few months ago as a pair of rabbit ears was out-performing it. Thx.
Probably performs decent as a basic UHF style antenna. But perhaps weak for VHF channels such as 7 and especially 13. I still recommend Antop 400BV or Antop 800SBS. But for low price it may be worth a try. Could always add VHF antenna if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area