Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:13 AM

132 posts, read 113,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Right.

And surely you've witnessed the recent fiasco in NY/NJ? They expected up to three inches of snow, and instead got six. Snow in NY/NJ isn't like the Carolina's; ice doesn't melt away by noon, and roads can remain dangerously icy for days or weeks.

Even if the NYC metropolitan area was to get the snow that they expected, the roads should've been treated (at the very least). Yet, we see NYC government in all it's glory: the entire area is paralyzed by a little snow.

If this were an isolated event, I would've ignored it. Instead, this is the latest example of their never ending ineptitude.

So...if anyone on this forum ever questions my tone, which often marvels at Greenville's (NC/SC's) excellence, know that I have good reason .
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 07:13 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The Jocassee Gorges are a real treasure; they qualify as a temperate rain forest - the only one in the east, and the only one in the U.S. other than the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. I look forward to visiting them next year.

https://discoversouthcarolina.com/ar...ocassee-gorges
I have never heard that claim made outside of the link you provided. The Smokies are the only temperate rainforest I've previously seen referenced in the Southeastern US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appala...ate_rainforest

Old 11-19-2018, 09:22 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I have never heard that claim made outside of the link you provided. The Smokies are the only temperate rainforest I've previously seen referenced in the Southeastern US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appala...ate_rainforest
I think it depends on which ecologist or naturalist you talk to - and what their criteria are for labeling an ecosystem "temperate rain forest":

Quote:
Some ecologists consider the wettest realms of the biologically rich, rain-soaked forests of the Southern Appalachians – the higher elevations of which, as in the Great Smoky Mountains, may receive more than six feet of annual precipitation – to be temperate rain forest.
(source: Gorges Wikipedia page)

Quote:
National Geographic recognized Jocassee Gorges as one of their “50 Last Best Places to Visit,” noting the biodiversity and stunning landscape of this temperate rainforest that spans the border of North and South Carolina and includes Gorges State Park and Lake Jocassee among the reasons for the honor.
(source: Charlotte Observer)

Quote:
There is the Appalachian temperate rainforest in the Eastern United State – spreading across southwestern Virginia, western North Carolina, northern Georgia, eastern Tennessee and northern South Carolina. For South Carolina, it is in the Jim Timmerman Natural Resources Area at Jocassee Gorges. This area has a cool and mild climate and is classified as a perhumid temperate rainforest. It has been reported that this rainforest harbors the only United States location of the tunbridge filmy fern from South America!
(source: Justin Winter blog)

Quote:
For the purposes of this analysis, Weigand narrowed Alaback's definition of coastal temperate rain forests to the following: areas between 32 and 60 degrees latitude, with the presence of vegetation (if not currently, then originally in a forested condition), with at least 2000 mm (80 in) of annual rainfall. (Precipitation can also occur as snow or fog. In some areas, moisture captured by the forest canopy during fog events contributes significantly to the annual water budget (Harr, 1980)). This should be considered a working definition, to be refined as ecologists learn more about each coastal temperate rain forest region.
(source: Ecotrust research publication)

Last edited by Vasily; 11-19-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 09:56 AM

680 posts, read 534,340 times
Quote:
Thank you

I thank you for the time and effort that you put into your reply. What you've described does indeed sound beautiful.

That said, to sum up the reason behind your looking at other areas, if I were to sum it up, could be reduced to two: you have family here, and you're bored with Michigan.

Is this correct?

If so, family aside, your motivation to leave MI seems insignificant.

Consider. I moved to the South from NY. At my disposal, within reasonable driving distances, were views of the Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean. The bay surrounding Babylon Village is beautiful, as are the views that look upon the Robert Moses Causeway. All at my disposal, and at no cost.

NY is the land of food, both in choices and in quality (fine dining/cheap street food). Museums and cultural events abound.

My late Aunt lived in the Midwood section of Brooklyn. While crossing a street one morning, she tripped and fell on her face, suffering a bloody nose. Fellow pedestrians walked over her.

Can both nice and good people be found in NY? Yes. But unlike where I currently live, the average New Yorker doesn't display the types of daily kindnesses to which I have become accustomed.

Have I gotten cussed at while driving here? Once in a *blue* moon. On Long Island, depending upon where you live, it's a part of your everyday routine.

Nothing bests Southern hospitality, fine folks, and the (largely) efficient and affordable government that's here. It's not perfect here, but it's light years ahead of the area whence I came.

There's an Italian adage, which says: "The cost spoils the taste." The views that look upon the Atlantic Ocean require too many compromises.

You don't seem to have gotten to that point yet.
Yes, those are the main two reasons. Also, weather. I'm tired of the cold and long winters here. I think that's why people aren't as friendly in northern states, lack of sunshine affects their mood. We are going to visit next summer. After that my wife and I will make a pros/cons list and decide what to do. Late next year we will be at a point where we can put 20% down on a house here in MI, so it would be really nice not to rent anymore. Or move and pretty much start over, and maybe buy a house 2-3 years later.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:24 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Considering a move from MI to SC. I just got back from spending 10 days in Simpsonville. 2 days the weather was nice and we(wife & I) visited Greenville. The rest of the time it was cold and rainy unfortunately. Loved downtown Greenville, especially by the water. Everyone was friendly. Gas was cheaper. I liked the fact there's a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco, and other stores. Woodruff Rd. was a mess traffic wise, but it wasn't much worse than other cities. Was surprised at the condition of roads in SC. I don't know if the whole state is that way or not, but they were rough and potholes are common, reminded me of MI almost. The west side of Greenville is not a place I'd want to live, we visited a nursing home there often(should be shutdown, horrible nursing home). Simpsonville was decent, although we visited a relative who is paying $875 for a crime infested crappy apartment. I thought that rent was excessive considering it was older, small, and not well maintained. Driving further out, near the neighborhood market Walmart, it got nicer. Fountain Inn was peaceful and I saw a lot of new houses being built, very small town though. In a nutshell, nothing blew me away, where I feel like I need to move there. Didn't seem much different than MI. Haven't decided completely. We're visiting family again there next year, and can checkout the area a little more, with hopefully nicer weather.
Good observations. Crime is likely higher than most places in Michigan. as an aside, you can't have low taxes, high growth, and premier services....something has got to give.

By the way, Washington state citizen that went to work in Greenville for a couple of years and I really enjoyed it but I do agree there's negatives so not for everyone.

On the weather, check the climate data....it average 17F warmer in January and 7F warmer in July than Grand Rapids for example...so the winter's are much milder and summer is going to get you sweating.

I lived downtown Greenville and that's the area I would live if I lived there again.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 AM

680 posts, read 534,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Good observations. Crime is likely higher than most places in Michigan. as an aside, you can't have low taxes, high growth, and premier services....something has got to give.

By the way, Washington state citizen that went to work in Greenville for a couple of years and I really enjoyed it but I do agree there's negatives so not for everyone.

On the weather, check the climate data....it average 17F warmer in January and 7F warmer in July than Grand Rapids for example...so the winter's are much milder and summer is going to get you sweating.

I lived downtown Greenville and that's the area I would live if I lived there again.
Pacific Northwest is amazing, I considered moving to Portland 10 years ago, following a trip there. Don't think I could handle the overcast and wet weather, it's like MI and I'm tired of it. But, the scenery there is beautiful.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:00 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Yes, those are the main two reasons. Also, weather. I'm tired of the cold and long winters here. I think that's why people aren't as friendly in northern states, lack of sunshine affects their mood. We are going to visit next summer. After that my wife and I will make a pros/cons list and decide what to do. Late next year we will be at a point where we can put 20% down on a house here in MI, so it would be really nice not to rent anymore. Or move and pretty much start over, and maybe buy a house 2-3 years later.
Do you want for me to answer honestly ?

When I was a kid, my mentor taught me something that I will never forget: "never fall in love with the product that you're selling, because you won't ever be able to sell anything else." In other words, if you love and believe in your product to the extent that it becomes the defacto standard, anything that falls under the bar (standard) that you've set is rendered unacceptable.

Some folks who move here love their native foods, or they love the natural scenery from whence they came.

No matter how hard they try, they'll never be happy here. In saying this, I am not faulting them; it's a reality.

For me, I love the ocean. There won't ever be a replacement. Yet, that which motivated me to get out of NY, was greater than my love of the ocean. Therefore, I am well adjusted here.

On the other hand, I have a relative who loves the ocean, and his reasons for leaving NY were more cost of living, and to be close to family. He doesn't care for it here; he can't get the ocean out of his blood. SC won't ever be his "home."

I am not faulting anyone, but describing a reality.

My advice? Live in NY for a couple of years. Then you will be ready to embrace SC as your home .

Old 11-19-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Late next year we will be at a point where we can put 20% down on a house here in MI, so it would be really nice not to rent anymore. Or move and pretty much start over, and maybe buy a house 2-3 years later.
A couple of suggestions: don't buy a house anywhere until you're sure you're going to be there long enough to at least break even on the cost of buying the thing (they usually say five years, but I think it depends on the local real estate market so it may be less in Greenville because of the "hot" market). And if you plan to move and buy in a couple of years, minimize the cost of the move as much as possible to keep your $$$ for purchase costs. That's what I did: got rid of as much stuff as I could before the move, used UPACK for the move, got friends to help me pack, and hired two guys from Tiger Movers to help me unpack on this end. Total cost for everything (IL to SC) was about $2500.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:01 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
A couple of suggestions: don't buy a house anywhere until you're sure you're going to be there long enough to at least break even on the cost of buying the thing (they usually say five years, but I think it depends on the local real estate market so it may be less in Greenville because of the "hot" market). And if you plan to move and buy in a couple of years, minimize the cost of the move as much as possible to keep your $$$ for purchase costs. That's what I did: got rid of as much stuff as I could before the move, used UPACK for the move, got friends to help me pack, and hired two guys from Tiger Movers to help me unpack on this end. Total cost for everything (IL to SC) was about $2500.
I hope that I am not getting too personal in my question, but how much stuff did you get rid of before the move? Did you keep the usual coffee table, couch, recliner, dresser, etc?

It's just my Wife & I, and yes...we have several items, but we aren't pack rats. The thing is, after moving several times, I have seen the difference between unloaders who are aggressive, versus those who are average. What aggressive unloaders can get done in two hours, might take four hours for movers that work at an average pace. These guys get paid by the hour, so it behooves them not to work too aggressively.

May I ask how many hours the workers took to move your stuff?

Also, did you have to touch the load at all, or did they offload *everything* into your apartment?

Old 11-19-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I hope that I am not getting too personal in my question, but how much stuff did you get rid of before the move? Did you keep the usual coffee table, couch, recliner, dresser, etc?

It's just my Wife & I, and yes...we have several items, but we aren't pack rats. The thing is, after moving several times, I have seen the difference between unloaders who are aggressive, versus those who are average. What aggressive unloaders can get done in two hours, might take four hours for movers that work at an average pace. These guys get paid by the hour, so it behooves them not to work too aggressively.

May I ask how many hours the workers took to move your stuff?

Also, did you have to touch the load at all, or did they offload *everything* into your apartment?
I did the "decluttering" thing: if I hadn't used something for over two years, I seriously considered whether I should get rid of it. For stuff I wanted to keep, I calculated the cost of keeping it versus replacement here. My couch, mattress, and box springs were old (and large items) so I ditched them, deciding to buy new ones here. I kept my old coffee and side tables from the living room, and gave them a coat of paint to spruce them up.

Tiger Moving sent two guys and they finished unloading in under two hours; they did everything. I had boxes labeled with where they should go, and basically directed them where to put things. I didn't have them unpack anything, just move stuff into the apartment - that was to help keep the cost down. I didn't have to touch anything - I'm 71 and have a bad back, so I needed them to do all the moving. If you do the Pods or UPack thing, you'll find some moving companies will only unpack their own stuff. The way UPack works, they deliver it to a storage facility here and then call you when it arrives so you can schedule delivery to your place. They were quick, didn't mess around, and pleasant to deal with.

The other place I considered was Greenville Moving, but they were very busy at the time. Like Tiger Moving, they get great reviews on Yelp.

http://tigermovinggreenville.com/
Moving Company Greenville SC | Last Minute Movers - 864-606-3108
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area