Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 06:43 PM

85 posts, read 78,519 times

Advertisements

Interested to know if any folks from Charlotte have moved to Greenville, and what are your likes/dislikes?

I have visited Greenville quite a few times, and trying to get a feel for the city vibe. Having lived in Austin, Texas previously, it feels similar to that, urban yet eclectic, outdoor type of town.

Am originally from Charlotte, NC, and although I love my hometown, the traffic has gotten ridiculous, among other factors making me reconsider a smaller city, without a Toll road.
;/
Would appreciate locals chiming in. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 07:06 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHeard View Post
Interested to know if any folks from Charlotte have moved to Greenville, and what are your likes/dislikes?

I have visited Greenville quite a few times, and trying to get a feel for the city vibe. Having lived in Austin, Texas previously, it feels similar to that, urban yet eclectic, outdoor type of town.

Am originally from Charlotte, NC, and although I love my hometown, the traffic has gotten ridiculous, among other factors making me reconsider a smaller city, without a Toll road.
;/
Would appreciate locals chiming in. Thank you!
I currently live in Gaston County, and like you, am considering a move to Greenville. Right off the bat, there are a few factors in the Greenville area that are lacking in Charlotte:

- As you get closer to downtown Charlotte, there are a variety of unique businesses and restaurants. But if you're in south Charlotte, you're likely stuck with chain restaurants and big box stores. Greenville isn't that way; in fact, we were extremely excited to find a real 5 & 10 (!)

- Roads. At first glance, Greenville's roads appear subpar (a lack of turning lanes is a common feature lacking on many roads). After awhile, however, you learn that Greenville has a million and one backroads; there's always a way to get around.

- Politically, the people in Greenville County are a lot more conservative than the average Charlottean (whether this is a plus or minus, is up to you).

- Airport; CLT has regular flights at low prices. Greenville's flights are pricier.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:01 PM

Right, NDL, I agree. I had considered moving to Davidson, NC, but that was before the Toll Road project.
I have a good friend who lives in Huntersville, but works in Davidson, and she said the Toll Road at that point, has gotten to be a time sucker in the afternoons.
Have lived in Lake Wylie in River Hills, and even that area is not the quiet lakefront community it used to be, circa 1970s.

I like what I perceive Greenville to be at this point, but am making a few more trips, before I decide whether or not to put down roots there. No place is perfect, but Greenville seems to have most of what I'm looking for.

My best friend lives in Belmont on New Hope Road, and they are considering moving. If you've seen all that new construction on New Hope across from DSB, then you know what I'm referring to. What a mess.

Thank you for the feedback.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:04 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
That's a very interesting assessment. Greenville doesn't feel eclectic to me at all (I couldn't even remotely imagine Greenville adopting a "Keep Greenville weird" tagline) and there seems to be a lot of other differences between it and Austin.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:28 PM

My comment has to do with the "feel" of the city, not something definable, and more than likely, a unique perspective for each person.

It perhaps has that feeling to me, which I like, because I have lived in large cities, ie, Dallas, Charlotte, and have always preferred cities with a more relaxed, organic environment. Greenville checks most all those boxes for me. I love it.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:24 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
My comment has to do with the "feel" of the city, not something definable, and more than likely, a unique perspective for each person.

It perhaps has that feeling to me, which I like, because I have lived in large cities, ie, Dallas, Charlotte, and have always preferred cities with a more relaxed, organic environment. Greenville checks most all those boxes for me. I love it.
Why are you looking to leave Charleston? Many people would describe Charleston as having a relaxed organic environment.

I worked in Uptown Charlotte for several months and I have lived in Charleston. I prefer the general scenery in Greenville and being closer to the Blue Ridge.

I know several people who moved here from Charlotte or grew up in Charlotte, and they like it.

I have looked at Austin on Google maps street view. I think Greenville's downtown has a nicer look to it and more of a college town vibe despite not having a large university. I describe Greenville as a college town for adults.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-02-2018 at 06:54 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 07:14 AM

Yes, ClemVegas, I have found Charleston to be too pricey for my "retirement" budget. I am 61, but need to continue working.
I am originally from Charlotte, born and bred since the 1950s. Have seen it in all of it's phases of change, good/bad. I don't dislike my hometown, nor do I dislike Charleston, it's simply that Greenville suits where I'm at in my life at this point.

Having lived in Austin, also, it has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 5-10 years. Alot of high tech attracted to that area, but also I see it in Greenville. There are elements of Austin, that I am reminded of when I tour around Greenville. Austin places alot of emphasis on outdoor activities, and there are alot of waterways for kayaking and areas for hiking. Austin is little bit urban, a little bit country. Although the traffic density is "terrific" there, I found it to be a welcoming city, an met alot of people willing to go out of their way to be kind and helpful.

I agree, I prefer being closer to the Blue Ridge, also. I used to prefer the beach, but not as much anymore. I do enjoy going to the Outer Banks, but that's a whole other experience, not really like "going to the beach", but more like expedition, lol.

I have lived in Charleston awhile, and I don't feel the environment is "relaxed or organic" anymore. It used to be. But just as Charlotte has always been competing with Atlanta for status, Charleston is suddenly finding itself behind, from an infra-structure standpoint and other aspects. Still, Charleston is Charleston. You either take it for what it is, or not.

I have simply found that I don't "fit" with the area anymore, and feel much more at home in the Greenville area. Greenville is definitely a special place, and I'm looking forward to "retirement", lol, here.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:14 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
When I hear “relaxed and organic”, I think of Asheville or Hendersonville.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:07 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
@HHeard,

How were you able to narrow your list down to Greenville? Do you have family/friends in the area?

When I lived in Charleston, many of the people I met had never been to Greenville unless they were from Greenville or had gone to college at Clemson.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 AM

@ClemVegas,

I have lived in North Carolina most of my life, and South Carolina the other portion, with the exception of Austin, Texas when I was married.

Part of the narrowing down process, was due to a few factors: the size of city/town I was looking, type of climate/terrain, and Physicians/Healthcare system, for my specific needs. I put all of this in a big "soup pot", and it all pointed to Greenville. I knew I wanted to stay in SC, and yet be closer to the Blue Ridge foothills. I have a heart condition that prevents me from living at 3,000 FASL, so moving up to Boone/Blowing Rock, was not in the cards.

No friends or family in the area. Like alot of people, many of my friends, and people I went to college with, are all scattered around the country, Charlotte, Gastonia, Raleigh, Atlanta and Chattanooga.

To @LynchburgLover, I guess organic and relaxed is different things to different people. Most places have positives and negatives, and I try to look at both, and then figure what I'm good with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area