Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 08:12 PM

85 posts, read 77,896 times

Advertisements

Am interested to know what people's experiences have been with both hospital system(s) in Greenville, specialty Doctors, etc. I understand that GHS merged with Prisma? And Bon Secours is part of Roper St. Francis, correct?

I have heard good/bad about Greenville Memorial Hospital, ER, and Bon Secours Hospital, ER.

I've been under the care of some really good Doctors at Carolinas Healthcare, CHS/Atrium, in Charlotte, NC, so while it isn't fair to compare hospital systems, I would appreciate hearing about experiences, recommendations, because reviews online of the two hospitals, I'm never sure of.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,838,519 times
I have had only good experiences with the GHS doctors. I can comment on the St. Francis ER as well. I had already heard positive things about it, and just had a very good experience. Friends were visiting from out of town, and the husband was having really bad back pain. Not a new issue, but it was acting up to the point where he was unable to walk and explore the city for more than a few steps. (and he is an active person). he went to the ER, was seen promptly, and given a cortisone shot and pills which helped a lot.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:49 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
GHS did not merge with Prisma; they created Prisma by merging with Palmetto Health. There is a Prisma Health in Canada. I don't believe the two are connected.

Greenville Memorial ER ignored my friend's MRSA infection which she probably contracted in one of their offices or ER.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 PM

@myrc60, thank you for the clarification about Prisma and Palmetto Health.

All I am used to is Carolinas Healthcare System in Charlotte, or what is now Atrium. All these mergers, ugh, makes me wonder if the quality of care is any better after a merger. However, for the most part, I received great care at CHS in Charlotte, and looking for something on a similar scale in Greenville. Whether that is is Prisma's healthcare system or Bon Secours, is the question.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:10 PM

@BigRedBeth, after reading reviews for both GHS and Bon Secours, the majority of the good reviews are for Bon Secours/St. Francis. Of course, I take these things with a grain of salt, yet....

I have read that when a hospital system goes through a merger, it can cause issues with continuity of care, because of paperwork minutia involved with these mergers.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:27 AM

599 posts, read 571,851 times
I've had the 'pleasure' of several procedures at St Francis, and have been pleased and impressed by the quality and level of care. It is a faith-based hospital, and I appreciate the option (not mandatory) of being prayed with before a procedure. If you're not into that, it's still a great hospital. During a recent heart procedure, the staff was consistently attentive and pleasant at all times.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:23 AM

5,615 posts, read 5,747,350 times
I haven't been to the "doctor" in several years now. They merged with GHS, and the personal care went down hill. It was like hurry up and get you out, we don't care whats wrong with you. The doctor misdiagnosed spots on my legs for bug bites, still have the spots doc! (Psoriasis) I am seeing a doctor at Stedman Hawkins currently for a torm meniscus, and this has been a pleasant experience so far, just need to get my MRI done. (Long story, hopefully get it done Thursday) Last night, wife made me go to urgent care for this dang cough. Its a Bon Secours office. Man I tell you! That doctor was SUPER! She actually acted like she cared. The nurse I saw, what a hoot! She was very funny, and very thorough! I will be changing completely to the Bon Secours system after the first of the year.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:25 AM

77 posts, read 109,811 times
We had to use an ER for the first time ever because my husband was seriously ill. Since my husband's doctors were part of the GHS system, I took him to GHS ER and the experience was horrific. After 7 hours, he was discharged even though he had abnormal labs and was symptomatic. We then ended up going to St Francis ER where he was admitted immediately for a cardiac condition that is considered a medical emergency. I can not emphasize enough the difference in the quality of care, the professionalism, the kindness and the cleanliness of St Francis compared to GHS. He was in the hospital for a week and received superb care. IMO the only reason to go to GHS ER is if you are a beneficiary of a large insurance policy!!!

Old 12-04-2018, 08:31 AM

2,207 posts, read 2,812,126 times
I don't think you can make any kind of predictive conclusions about one "hospital system" being better than another. In my experience as a patient and family to patients, there are (mostly) good and (a few) bad doctors at both systems and the banner they work under is completely irrelevant.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,255,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHeard View Post
Am interested to know what people's experiences have been with both hospital system(s) in Greenville, specialty Doctors, etc. I understand that GHS merged with Prisma? And Bon Secours is part of Roper St. Francis, correct?

I have heard good/bad about Greenville Memorial Hospital, ER, and Bon Secours Hospital, ER.

I've been under the care of some really good Doctors at Carolinas Healthcare, CHS/Atrium, in Charlotte, NC, so while it isn't fair to compare hospital systems, I would appreciate hearing about experiences, recommendations, because reviews online of the two hospitals, I'm never sure of.

Thank you!
For what it's worth, I think Anmed - the hospital in Anderson is part of the Atrium system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area