U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2019, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
6,216 posts, read 5,371,088 times
Reputation: 12142

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
T
Personally, I was enthusiastic to see such maps and hear of such growth but now we’re in a different era —The Era of Conservation. The Upstate will continue to grow, and that’s not a problem exactly, but leaders must continue to look outward to the world to see both the successes of planning ahead and the failures. All the data is there: the Upstate is going to receive extreme growth. Be proactive!
Those who want to see natural beauty preserved as the area grows need to get involved politically. That would mean providing input to Greenville Recreation and Parks. Raleigh NC in my opinion has handled this well, balancing several decades of growth with quality of life. We can have both. The Raleigh area greenways system is impressive.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/parks/cont...ailSystem.html

https://www.raleighnc.gov/parks/cont...velopment.html
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-01-2019, 03:14 PM
 
1,279 posts, read 733,666 times
Reputation: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I've lived in a stale town that wasn't growing. Wasn't good. If you don't like growth this is probably not the right area. Our leaders are about growth.
I've lived in plenty of places that haven't had population growth, either:

1. Vienna: no larger today than it was in 1914. Still is constantly at or near the top of "best global cities"/"best quality of life" lists.

2. Manhattan: fewer people today than in 1914. Is it stale?

Next?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-01-2019, 03:31 PM
 
632 posts, read 681,422 times
Reputation: 1291
Living there in 1914 must have been an experience.... You really don't text a day over 60
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-01-2019, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
6,216 posts, read 5,371,088 times
Reputation: 12142
Comparing Vienna and Manhattan to our situation here in the Upstate is a bit silly.

"The Legatum Institute’s inaugural Central and Eastern Europe Prosperity Report shows that Austria’s prosperity, covering economic success as well as overall wellbeing across nine pillars, has stagnated over the past decade. Meanwhile, prosperity in the rest of Central and Eastern Europe has risen substantially."

(source)

"Renters are increasingly fleeing to Brooklyn and Queens as Manhattan rents continue to steadily increase, a string of rental market reports show — and the migration is sending rents in the outer boroughs sky high."

(source)

I'll also point out that Manhattan's economy is intertwined with the rest of NYC. Greenville is not part of a humongous urban area.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-01-2019, 04:17 PM
 
1,279 posts, read 733,666 times
Reputation: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Comparing Vienna and Manhattan to our situation here in the Upstate is a bit silly.

"The Legatum Institute’s inaugural Central and Eastern Europe Prosperity Report shows that Austria’s prosperity, covering economic success as well as overall wellbeing across nine pillars, has stagnated over the past decade. Meanwhile, prosperity in the rest of Central and Eastern Europe has risen substantially."

(source)

"Renters are increasingly fleeing to Brooklyn and Queens as Manhattan rents continue to steadily increase, a string of rental market reports show — and the migration is sending rents in the outer boroughs sky high."

(source)

I'll also point out that Manhattan's economy is intertwined with the rest of NYC. Greenville is not part of a humongous urban area.
No, it's not silly.

My point is that vibrancy and increases in median incomes is not contingent on population growth--and certainly not contingent on sprawling SC-style growth.

Modest population growth can increase median incomes, but rapid population growth and sprawl are not required for that.

Greenville certainly is part of a larger urban area; plenty of people come in from Anderson, Spartanburg, Easley, etc. to work.

The "all growth is always good" crowd is particularly vocal in Greenville, but plenty of us natives are sick of it. If we're going to have growth--and since SC can't by itself stop population growth--at least we should stop building sprawl like Woodruff Road. Didn't we learn that lesson?

So Vienna has stagnated in some respects in the last decade? You destroy your own argument by making that post, since it's in the last decade when it has recovered some of the population lost since 1914. It's still at or near the top of "best quality of life" rankings. Greenville and other fast-growing US cities are not.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-01-2019, 04:20 PM
 
1,859 posts, read 2,497,801 times
Reputation: 1718
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
No, it's not silly.

My point is that vibrancy and increases in median incomes is not contingent on population growth--and certainly not contingent on sprawling SC-style growth.

Modest population growth can increase median incomes, but rapid population growth and sprawl are not required for that.

Greenville certainly is part of a larger urban area; plenty of people come in from Anderson, Spartanburg, Easley, etc. to work.

The "all growth is always good" crowd is particularly vocal in Greenville, but plenty of us natives are sick of it. If we're going to have growth--and since SC can't by itself stop population growth--at least we should stop building sprawl like Woodruff Road. Didn't we learn that lesson?

So Vienna has stagnated in some respects in the last decade? You destroy your own argument by making that post, since it's in the last decade when it has recovered some of the population lost since 1914. It's still at or near the top of "best quality of life" rankings. Greenville and other fast-growing US cities are not.
This native says, bring on the growth!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-01-2019, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
10,108 posts, read 6,637,056 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
No, it's not silly.


So Vienna has stagnated in some respects in the last decade? You destroy your own argument by making that post, since it's in the last decade when it has recovered some of the population lost since 1914. It's still at or near the top of "best quality of life" rankings. Greenville and other fast-growing US cities are not.
I think most people living in Greenville think it has a great quality of life.

A person can live in Greenville and never go to Woodruff Road.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-01-2019 at 04:46 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-01-2019, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
2,388 posts, read 2,579,983 times
Reputation: 2163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Those who want to see natural beauty preserved as the area grows need to get involved politically. That would mean providing input to Greenville Recreation and Parks. Raleigh NC in my opinion has handled this well, balancing several decades of growth with quality of life. We can have both. The Raleigh area greenways system is impressive.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/parks/cont...ailSystem.html

https://www.raleighnc.gov/parks/cont...velopment.html
Yes- I miss Raleigh's greenway system!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-01-2019, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
6,216 posts, read 5,371,088 times
Reputation: 12142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
... If we're going to have growth--and since SC can't by itself stop population growth--at least we should stop building sprawl like Woodruff Road. Didn't we learn that lesson?
Greenville didn't "build" the congestion on Woodruff Road. It happened as a consequence of growth, and decisions made by individual companies to open up shop there. If I wanted to live in a society that rigidly controls growth and the economic lives of its members, I would have moved to North Korea. Or maybe California.

Quote:
So Vienna has stagnated in some respects in the last decade? You destroy your own argument by making that post, since it's in the last decade when it has recovered some of the population lost since 1914. It's still at or near the top of "best quality of life" rankings. Greenville and other fast-growing US cities are not.
The article on Vienna's stagnation I linked is from a roundtable held last year, discussing a paper that was published in 2016, not ten years ago. You appear to know better than the Legatum Institute; my bad. I'm starting to understand now why I had you on my ignore list.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-01-2019, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
6,216 posts, read 5,371,088 times
Reputation: 12142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Yes- I miss Raleigh's greenway system!
I spent eight days there this past spring when I was trying to decide between Raleigh/Cary or Greenville. Cary has a nice greenway system, too. I lived in Chapel Hill in the 1980s, and it was getting crowded then. It's overwhelming now, and not the same place I remember from 30 years ago. Too big for my taste. That was the main factor in my deciding on Greenville rather than Raleigh/Cary.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top