Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 06:48 AM

15 posts, read 11,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
It's 68k+ for 2017. But even with that you can't use this number. As we've mentioned it seems at least once a month now, it's flawed because of lack of annexation. It's truly much larger than that. I wish we could fix it so folks will stop using this flawed number. Metro and Urban area populations are a much better measure.
That point WAS the fact that population stuff is a skewed stat. The previous poster was talking about how 6-Mile was supposed to be a 100,000-person community after the lake project.

At least we have two really nice parking lots around here. One is called 'Woodruff Rd' the other is 'Wade Hampton.'

Old 12-23-2018, 01:08 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonk9 View Post
That point WAS the fact that population stuff is a skewed stat. The previous poster was talking about how 6-Mile was supposed to be a 100,000-person community after the lake project.

At least we have two really nice parking lots around here. One is called 'Woodruff Rd' the other is 'Wade Hampton.'
Okay. I didn't realize that was your point.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:16 AM

13 posts, read 16,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Having grown up in Chevy Chase, lived in Potomac and then out in Loudoun County, I have watched the metro Washington area explode. Of course, there are some pleasant people in the area but OVERALL, I have found the Upstate of SC to be a much more pleasant culture. I’m glad you enjoy DC and you can have it.
LynchburgLover: Where did you live in Loudoun County? We lived in South Riding from 2006-2009. I was so ready to get back to SC. I agree though there were some pleasant people in the area. My neighbors were great. One from Georgia and the other graduated from Clemson.

I live in Lexington, SC now looking to move in the Greenville area in the spring. Lexington is a lot like Greenville. Growth! Subdivisions going up everywhere, schools overcrowded, roads can't handle traffic (even the backroads are a mess) and people coming from all over the country (Alaska, New Hampshire, Alabama, etc). At least Greenville has a lot more to offer! I grew up in Anderson and look forward to moving back to the upstate!

Old 12-27-2018, 07:39 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonSC2 View Post
LynchburgLover: Where did you live in Loudoun County? We lived in South Riding from 2006-2009. I was so ready to get back to SC. I agree though there were some pleasant people in the area. My neighbors were great. One from Georgia and the other graduated from Clemson.

I live in Lexington, SC now looking to move in the Greenville area in the spring. Lexington is a lot like Greenville. Growth! Subdivisions going up everywhere, schools overcrowded, roads can't handle traffic (even the backroads are a mess) and people coming from all over the country (Alaska, New Hampshire, Alabama, etc). At least Greenville has a lot more to offer! I grew up in Anderson and look forward to moving back to the upstate!
We were in Purcellville for 17 years. Hated. Every. Minute. Never made any connection to the people there. We tried everything we could think of to connect. But it got so lonely, we ended up joining the country club and a church in Winchester and made wonderful friends. We would have retired to Winchester but some of the family is here, in the Upstate. More will be relocating in about three years to be closer.

Thrilled — so far — with Spartanburg. We’ve been here a little over a year and it already feels like home. I had some minor surgery the other day and several people offered to help. We could have easily been one of those “found dead in house after six months, neighbors never knew” in Purcellville. The interaction with neighbors was limited to a wave as the garage door went up or a 30 second “Hi, how are you” conversation at Harris Teeter.

Never going back. ❤️ Spartanburg.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 12-27-2018 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-27-2018, 09:00 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Another reason I think Greenville is going to become a mega city is there seems to be a lot of people who don't live in Greenville who post on this forum frequently.

I think Greenville probably has one of the highest percentage of non-resident posts out of all the forums.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:46 AM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
We were in Purcellville for 17 years. Hated. Every. Minute. Never made any connection to the people there. We tried everything we could think of to connect. But it got so lonely, we ended up joining the country club and a church in Winchester and made wonderful friends. We would have retired to Winchester but some of the family is here, in the Upstate. More will be relocating in about three years to be closer.

Thrilled — so far — with Spartanburg. We’ve been here a little over a year and it already feels like home. I had some minor surgery the other day and several people offered to help. We could have easily been one of those “found dead in house after six months, neighbors never knew” in Purcellville. The interaction with neighbors was limited to a wave as the garage door went up or a 30 second “Hi, how are you” conversation at Harris Teeter.

Never going back. ❤️ Spartanburg.
First, I hope that you heal quickly from your surgery .

Second, what kind of population did you have in Purcellville? Was there a lot of natives? Transplants?

Why do I ask?

I myself had an odd experience a couple of years ago, in the Lesslie section of Rock Hill; the whole area, and it's residents, could be considered the deep South. Yet, everyone was isolated, and suspicious of outsiders. It really was an odd experience. After a year of renting in the area, we left.

From that point forward, the Rock Hill "experience" stuck with me; and I no longer assume that if an area is within the Deep South, that all will be friendly.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:34 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Another reason I think Greenville is going to become a mega city is there seems to be a lot of people who don't live in Greenville who post on this forum frequently.

I think Greenville probably has one of the highest percentage of non-resident posts out of all the forums.
That has to be the silliest reason for a city becoming a so-called "mega city" I've ever heard.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
First, I hope that you heal quickly from your surgery .

Second, what kind of population did you have in Purcellville? Was there a lot of natives? Transplants?

Why do I ask?

I myself had an odd experience a couple of years ago, in the Lesslie section of Rock Hill; the whole area, and it's residents, could be considered the deep South. Yet, everyone was isolated, and suspicious of outsiders. It really was an odd experience. After a year of renting in the area, we left.

From that point forward, the Rock Hill "experience" stuck with me; and I no longer assume that if an area is within the Deep South, that all will be friendly.

Purcellville was a small town (1,500??) that exploded overnight into mini-farmettes, vineyards, McMansions and LOTS of new money. The old, small town that we moved to was gobbled up like Pac-Man within about 5 years. It’s an “exurb” of DC in Loudoun County which is the richest county in America. https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2017...census-bureau/

It is divided into the east — tons of new tract houses, townhouses, strip shopping centers, mall. The west is “horse” and “wine” country. Purcellville is the central town of the west. Everyone has “arrived”. We moved for the schools, which our daughter detested and she opted to go to a boarding school to get out.

Oh, well, water under the bridge and we’re happy now.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:08 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Purcellville was a small town (1,500??) that exploded overnight into mini-farmettes, vineyards, McMansions and LOTS of new money. The old, small town that we moved to was gobbled up like Pac-Man within about 5 years. It’s an “exurb” of DC in Loudoun County which is the richest county in America. https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2017...census-bureau/

It is divided into the east — tons of new tract houses, townhouses, strip shopping centers, mall. The west is “horse” and “wine” country. Purcellville is the central town of the west. Everyone has “arrived”. We moved for the schools, which our daughter detested and she opted to go to a boarding school to get out.

Oh, well, water under the bridge and we’re happy now.
I appreciate your explanation, and am glad that you found a place to your liking. Believe me, I well understand your appreciation of your new home.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That has to be the silliest reason for a city becoming a so-called "mega city" I've ever heard.

I think he’s right. It’s people reading to learn about the community.

People flock to where they think things will be better. Look at the number of “I’ve never been to SC but I’m thinking of relocating”. They read magazine articles about the South and dream of a different lifestyle. Southern Living, Garden & Gun, Coastal Living all make the South seem a utopia compared to a lot of small towns/cities across the North and Midwest. Migration shows they are losing population while we are gaining. Just yesterday a talking head was saying NY will lose several Congressional seats after the next census if the trend continues.

The sun shines, there’s beaches, etc. Add a growing economy, job opportunities, lower cost of living, perception of friendlier/polite people and it is pretty appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area