U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2018, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,546 posts, read 21,070,422 times
Reputation: 2873

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Oh my goodness, London, Paris, Greenville. LOL!
We’re big time now. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2018, 04:39 PM
 
4,606 posts, read 6,562,920 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
oh my goodness, london, paris, greenville. Lol!
:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2018, 09:00 PM
 
5,714 posts, read 5,817,673 times
Reputation: 2991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Switch out London for Paris and the point stands.
Nope. If anything Paris has more skyscrapers than London:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...t8pqcnFc2_g3M:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2018, 10:32 PM
 
424 posts, read 372,444 times
Reputation: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Yuck.

Personally, I think the charm of downtown Greenville is the lack of very tall buildings. Let's turn it into every city you ever saw. I really hate it.
I understand your point and, certainly, Greenville has done a fantastic job of creating a street level city with a wonderful energy and feel. As for this particular building concept, I would say there is little risk of turning Greenville "into every city you ever saw".
Quite frankly, Greenville has a better street experience than many cities with huge skylines. As such, Greenville exemplifies the idea that you don't need tall buildings to have a great city, and its also a testament that Greenville has been built with a strong foundation. Put another way, simply building a bunch of tall buildings doesn't equal a successful city, but providing people with a fun, safe, clean, inviting, and entertaining city center at the street level with patient development does. I think once that is in place, tall buildings can be a compliment to such a city; not a detriment.
I suppose you could argue a slippery slope; if they build one they could build many and then the charm is gone; but I highly doubt that would happen, at least any time soon. For one thing, powers that be, have been very hesitant with high rises. The street level has been the focus for nearly 50 years (very successfully) and I don't see current leaders abandoning that philosophy. Additionally, we're not talking about a thousand foot office building here, this concept is a midrise housing and retail building. I truly think a little variety in height and architecture would be a welcome addition at this point. We don't need a hundred 8 story brick boxes to maintain charm; in fact, that might deduct from it. I would love to see this, but unfortunately it's only conceptual at this point. Good to see our developers thinking along these lines nonetheless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2018, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Sunshine State
5,143 posts, read 4,075,761 times
Reputation: 3515
Taller buildings wouldn't ruin downtown. It's about how active the streetscape is. Nashville is getting new skyscrapers left and right, but the charm of the core is still hot. Midtown Atlanta is also booming with new towers and they're loving the new density because it's making midtown more active. The Windstream building is 300 feet but it's pretty easy to ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2018, 11:04 PM
 
4,606 posts, read 6,562,920 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Taller buildings wouldn't ruin downtown. It's about how active the streetscape is. Nashville is getting new skyscrapers left and right, but the charm of the core is still hot. Midtown Atlanta is also booming with new towers and they're loving the new density because it's making midtown more active. The Windstream building is 300 feet but it's pretty easy to ignore.
That building is also outdated in the way it looks. Would be nice to see the exterior renovated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2018, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Western Asia
3,186 posts, read 1,544,348 times
Reputation: 2531
I believe Geenville is very ready for it....might accelerate the gentrification of the downtown area for better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 12:21 AM
 
31,118 posts, read 28,860,911 times
Reputation: 19660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Nope. If anything Paris has more skyscrapers than London:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...t8pqcnFc2_g3M:
Except that's not actually IN París. La Défense is a modern business district just outside of Paris and you'll find the region's highrises concentrated there because they weren't allowed to be built within Paris itself. People go to Paris for Paris, the old world charming low/midrise city, not La Défense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 12:41 PM
 
5,714 posts, read 5,817,673 times
Reputation: 2991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Except that's not actually IN París. La Défense is a modern business district just outside of Paris and you'll find the region's highrises concentrated there because they weren't allowed to be built within Paris itself. People go to Paris for Paris, the old world charming low/midrise city, not La Défense.
No one goes anywhere specifically for the size of their buildings unless there's a specific architectural reason to do so. No need to be afraid of tall buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 12:51 PM
 
31,118 posts, read 28,860,911 times
Reputation: 19660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
No one goes anywhere specifically for the size of their buildings unless there's a specific architectural reason to do so. No need to be afraid of tall buildings.
Of course not, but it's no coincidence that the most vibrant, pedestrian-friendly places tend to be more human-scaled. I'm not against highrises going up in downtown Greenville at all, but concerns about an erosion of downtown's charm over time aren't exactly unfounded. Right now, there's not really any demand for a lot of highrises downtown but hey, things could change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top