U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 01:30 PM

6,434 posts, read 9,775,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Oh my goodness, London, Paris, Greenville. LOL!

Sounds like Goober Pyle from the Andy Griffith Show's famous quote

"Mayberry is world class.. we are right up there with NY, London, Paris, and Raleigh!!!!!""Maybe one day we will even be Mt. Pilot (fictitious city) with two filling stations!!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 01:36 PM

6,434 posts, read 9,775,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
This one:

I hope they get their financing before the economy crashes (which I hope doesn't happen) or rates rise too high to where it gets stalled...I look at Emporis all the time at skyscrapers that get proposed but never built

Old 12-28-2018, 08:48 AM

5,128 posts, read 6,037,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Of course not, but it's no coincidence that the most vibrant, pedestrian-friendly places tend to be more human-scaled. I'm not against high-rises going up in downtown Greenville at all, but concerns about an erosion of downtown's charm over time aren't exactly unfounded. Right now, there's not really any demand for a lot of high-rises downtown but hey, things could change.
Yes, vast swathes of both London and Paris are human-scaled, and no one asks, "Why don't we put up a high-rise building in these parts?" Which is why both are more charming than New York City.

And the thing is, this proposed building is ugly. It's ugly and it won't stand the test of time. It belongs in Miami. It doesn't fit the place.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:04 AM

5,716 posts, read 5,822,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Yes, vast swathes of both London and Paris are human-scaled, and no one asks, "Why don't we put up a high-rise building in these parts?" Which is why both are more charming than New York City.

And the thing is, this proposed building is ugly. It's ugly and it won't stand the test of time. It belongs in Miami. It doesn't fit the place.
I disagree with your entire post. I find an entire city midrised to death to be ugly. But hey, that's what makes America grand!

Old 12-28-2018, 11:26 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,568,085 times
It isn't ugly. I like it. Greenville can have some height and still keep it's perceived character. Not like they're putting it on Main St.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
It isn't ugly. I like it. Greenville can have some height and still keep it's perceived character. Not like they're putting it on Main St.
100% correct fine sir.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:35 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,037,775 times
This design is better suited to South Florida.

Modern design is fine, but not this one. Modern design can reference more historical forms and better integrate with what is already there. This one doesn't.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:55 PM

427 posts, read 374,030 times
Quote:

Modern design is fine, but not this one. Modern design can reference more historical forms and better integrate with what is already there. This one doesn't.
Well we're talking about a conceptual design that would never get built b/c the DRB would never approve it, but...

I really like it and would be ecstatic if it happened. While it isn't classical, I would be SOOOOOOOO excited to see something that's actually, gasp, DIFFERENT, than all the brick and stucco 8 story boxes. As for ugly, I think it's very nice; if you wanna see ugly, take a gander at the Landmark, or the Aloft ! (PUKE)

Old 12-28-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Well we're talking about a conceptual design that would never get built b/c the DRB would never approve it, but...

I really like it and would be ecstatic if it happened. While it isn't classical, I would be SOOOOOOOO excited to see something that's actually, gasp, DIFFERENT, than all the brick and stucco 8 story boxes. As for ugly, I think it's very nice; if you wanna see ugly, take a gander at the Landmark, or the Aloft ! (PUKE)
Yes, yes, yes. It sounds like what SS is advocating for is more of the same. I love this design specifically because it's not the same. We're close to becoming a cookie cutter downtown, this building is a game changer.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:19 PM

5,143 posts, read 4,083,093 times
Quote:

That's ugly even for South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or