Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times

Advertisements

Announcement from the 2019 Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas:

Quote:
Sprint has announced at CES 2019 that Greenville, South Carolina, will see its first smart city build-out based on both its Curiosity Internet of Things (IoT) platform and mobile 5G network connectivity.

As part of the project, Sprint will deploy Massive Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (Massive MIMO) technology as well as a dedicated IoT network and "micro-positioning" technology aimed at enabling connected vehicles, smart machines, and autonomous drones to operate and react in real time.

"Greenville government officials and staff are placing their trust in ... leveraging the power of Sprint mobile 5G and Curiosity IoT networks to bring smart city use cases to life," Sprint SVP of IoT and Product Development Ivo Rook said during CES on Tuesday in Las Vegas.

Greenville is hoping to attract startups to the city, as well as companies wanting to conduct R&D across artificial intelligence (AI), robotics, and autonomous vehicles use cases.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/ces-20...mous-vehicles/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
We had Sprint about 10 years ago but their coverage, particularly in the mountains was awful. We switched to Verizon fo the better network. Has Sprint gotten better? Seems like expansion of their network with existing 4G technology should be a priority over deployment of 5G to a limited footprint.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
I was also a long time Sprint customer and saw the problems you saw. I have AT&T now and it has been great for me.

All of these "miracles" are supposed to take place once 5G is in place. Sprint picking Greenville could bring the other cell companies this way too.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:10 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
Is this real 5G or is it like At&t's "5GE" which isn't 5G at all but some weird 4g/hotspot hybrid?

Old 01-11-2019, 11:27 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Wasn't familiar with the term "smart city" before. It appears this initiative is an ambitious one that goes way beyond better phone service:

Quote:
A smart city is an urban area that uses different types of electronic data collection sensors to supply information which is used to manage assets and resources efficiently. This includes data collected from citizens, devices, and assets that is processed and analyzed to monitor and manage traffic and transportation systems, power plants, water supply networks, waste management, law enforcement, information systems, schools, libraries, hospitals, and other community services
(source)

The 5G connectivity is necessary to support the smart city functionality, in other words. So yeah, I'd say it has to be real 5G.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM

513 posts, read 576,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Wasn't familiar with the term "smart city" before. It appears this initiative is an ambitious one that goes way beyond better phone service:

(source)

The 5G connectivity is necessary to support the smart city functionality, in other words. So yeah, I'd say it has to be real 5G.
"A smart city is an urban area that uses different types of electronic data collection sensors to supply information which is used to manage assets and resources efficiently. This includes data collected from citizens, devices, and assets that is processed and analyzed to monitor and manage traffic and transportation systems, power plants, water supply networks, waste management, law enforcement, information systems, schools, libraries, hospitals, and other community services"

Sounds too "big brother" to me.
If so, I'll take a not so smart city.

BTW, also had Sprint for years; will NEVER go back. Service area was poor and customer service was the absolute worst I've ever seen from a company!

Old 01-11-2019, 02:09 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Sounds a LOT like something "big brother" would love to take advantage of.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:29 PM

632 posts, read 748,567 times
Big Brother is already closely watching our lives, but he wants to gain even more direct access to influence every aspect of our existence.

I just read where the current CES technology show displayed smart toilet seats, programmed to monitor your bio-waste for a multitude of interested parties. Robot vacuums will use AI and will test your household dust for content. Imagine getting a subpoena for your "Roomba" to appear in court, for your most recent drug bust.

I stopped upgrading my OS at Win 7 and I've greatly hobbled it's ability to call home. This old guy is not going there voluntarily.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:35 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
"A smart city is an urban area that uses different types of electronic data collection sensors to supply information which is used to manage assets and resources efficiently. This includes data collected from citizens, devices, and assets that is processed and analyzed to monitor and manage traffic and transportation systems, power plants, water supply networks, waste management, law enforcement, information systems, schools, libraries, hospitals, and other community services"

BTW, also had Sprint for years; will NEVER go back. Service area was poor and customer service was the absolute worst I've ever seen from a company!
Seems like Greenville is ahead of the curve, with several "smart city" initiatives:

https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news...lle-sc/513517/

Old 01-11-2019, 04:05 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Wonder if this could help land new tech companies here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area