Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2019, 11:18 AM
 
334 posts, read 625,636 times
Reputation: 335

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAndersonCo View Post
Im not 100% certain but isn't the footprint of a BiLo store usually smaller than most Harris Teeters?

Other than that, it would be a good idea to expand into the upstate. Start by maybe adding one more to Greenville/Simpsonville, then one each to Spartanburg and Anderson.
Publix moving into SC has killed the bi lo biz. at least it has in SAV. Hilton Head, Bluffton and Beufort.SC.
We love publix, esp their brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2019, 11:40 AM
 
4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
If they had 5 in Greenville county plus 1 in Easley, 1 in Anderson, and 2 in Spartanburg, that would at least be enough to justify some advertising. Their slow entry into the market is reminiscent of their last entry here that floundered due to getting off to a slow start. I went to the opening of their store off of Roper Mtn. Road and it was one of the nicer grocery stores in the area at the time. If they had ever opened a store near us, we would have shopped there but it was just too inconvenient to drive 20 minutes to the store to shop.

Kind of the same situation now with the store on Augusta and the planned store on Stone Ave. Neither of those stores is a realistic shopping destination for us in Powdersville or almost anyone in Simpsonville, 5 Forks, or Greer.


Agree. They should reopen that Roper Mountain Rd store. Can't believe that building still just sits empty. So much more higher end residential growth in a 5 mile radius of that store since they left. The other two HT stores were small back then and not that impressive as well as the two small stores they had in Spartanburg.


That's been kind of the way they operate though other than Charlotte and Charleston. They have only one store each in Asheville and Hendersonville for years. I think the number of competitors in this market (Bi-Lo, Ingles, Publix) all having so many store locations in the area has been the big factor too. If one chain bows out like Bi-Lo then it's probably a different game for them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 11:46 AM
 
5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Reputation: 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
If they had 5 in Greenville county plus 1 in Easley, 1 in Anderson, and 2 in Spartanburg, that would at least be enough to justify some advertising. Their slow entry into the market is reminiscent of their last entry here that floundered due to getting off to a slow start. I went to the opening of their store off of Roper Mtn. Road and it was one of the nicer grocery stores in the area at the time. If they had ever opened a store near us, we would have shopped there but it was just too inconvenient to drive 20 minutes to the store to shop.

Kind of the same situation now with the store on Augusta and the planned store on Stone Ave. Neither of those stores is a realistic shopping destination for us in Powdersville or almost anyone in Simpsonville, 5 Forks, or Greer.
While Powdersville has rapidly evolved (not gracefully) into a busy suburb with many new conveniences and a fair amount of new jobs, it is important to remember that many of its residents work, shop, and "play," in other communities on a regular basis. Powdersville, while not as quiet today as it was a couple of decades ago, remains primarily a "bedroom community," and Augusta Street (Lewis Plaza area) is definitely more convenient for a casual visitor than trips to Five Forks or the Eastside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Upstate
9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Reputation: 8879
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
Publix moving into SC has killed the bi lo biz. at least it has in SAV. Hilton Head, Bluffton and Beufort.SC. We love publix, esp their brands.
It's all about competition. Bi-Lo didn't want to keep up. My daughter had her first job as a cashier at Bi-Lo and the management just treats the employees like crap. In turn, the employees are not like Publix employees, who are treated well and it shows when you visit a Publix. My daughter tried to make it work there. Before she quit, she got three job offers and is making much more money now.

I compare Publix's level of customer service and satisfaction to Chick-fil-a. Bi-Lo can be compared to McDonalds or Taco Bell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 01:23 PM
 
2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
While Powdersville has rapidly evolved (not gracefully) into a busy suburb with many new conveniences and a fair amount of new jobs, it is important to remember that many of its residents work, shop, and "play," in other communities on a regular basis. Powdersville, while not as quiet today as it was a couple of decades ago, remains primarily a "bedroom community," and Augusta Street (Lewis Plaza area) is definitely more convenient for a casual visitor than trips to Five Forks or the Eastside.
My point is that people that live in Easley, Powdersville, Greer, 5 Forks, and Simpsonville are unlikely to drive to Augusta Road to go grocery shopping on any kind of a frequent basis. With other good choices in the market like Publix (and Lowes for 5 Forks), not many people are going to drive all the way to Augusta Rd. for Harris Teeter. It's not that much of a destination shopping experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Allen Hills, Anderson, SC
181 posts, read 132,691 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
Publix moving into SC has killed the bi lo biz. at least it has in SAV. Hilton Head, Bluffton and Beufort.SC.
We love publix, esp their brands.
The problem is that Bilo isn't stacking up to competition. Places like Ingles and Food Lion have a bigger selection than Bilo at a slightly cheaper price deeming it worthless to even shop at BiLo (not to mention how I like the delis and produce sections in the updated Ingles). Publix has way better quality food than BiLo so though more expensive, it is worth paying the extra money.

A lot of BiLos also seem to be in dire need of updating, which Bilo hasn't even bothered with until after going out of bankruptcy recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 03:32 PM
 
1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Reputation: 1164
I'm convinced Bilo is beyond saving at this point.A very well placed exec in the business agreed wholheatedly in a recent conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 01:56 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Reputation: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAndersonCo View Post
Im not 100% certain but isn't the footprint of a BiLo store usually smaller than most Harris Teeters?

Other than that, it would be a good idea to expand into the upstate. Start by maybe adding one more to Greenville/Simpsonville, then one each to Spartanburg and Anderson.
Harris Teeter entered Spartanburg County in 1987 and Greenville County in 1989. For it to expand in Greenville County, it should consider additional locations in Greenvile (i.e. Pelham Road), Greer, Simpsonvlle, and Taylors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 02:01 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Reputation: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
After seeing that beautiful new Harris Teeter on Augusta Rd, I am not sure what they would do with some of the Bi-Lo buildings unless it was a complete teardown. For whatever it's worth I was told by an employeee they plan on four additional Greenville county stores eventually. Not sure if that includes the future Stone Avenue location under construction. HT had two stores in Spartanburg before. I could see HT interested in the two Lowes Foods stores if they ever decided to leave the market since they are in higher end areas.
If Harris Teeter can get up to six stores in Greenville County, it would be making progress.

I have heard Lowe's Foods has had difficulties making sales and having turnover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 02:04 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Reputation: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Agree. They should reopen that Roper Mountain Rd store. Can't believe that building still just sits empty. So much more higher end residential growth in a 5 mile radius of that store since they left. The other two HT stores were small back then and not that impressive as well as the two small stores they had in Spartanburg.


That's been kind of the way they operate though other than Charlotte and Charleston. They have only one store each in Asheville and Hendersonville for years. I think the number of competitors in this market (Bi-Lo, Ingles, Publix) all having so many store locations in the area has been the big factor too. If one chain bows out like Bi-Lo then it's probably a different game for them here.
I expect inferior supermarket participants to exit soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top