Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 02:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I'm convinced Bilo is beyond saving at this point.A very well placed exec in the business agreed wholheatedly in a recent conversation.
Many will agree. I doubt BI-LO will be around in five years. BI-LO may reach 60 years of operation in 2021, but it will have fewer stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 05:53 AM

181 posts, read 132,834 times
Quote:
Southeastern said it plans to continue to operate about 580 stores after store sales and closures when it emerges from bankruptcy in June, down from 700 stores that it currently operates. It said it plans to liquidate about 95 stores.
-from https://www.supermarketnews.com/reta...-profitability

215 stores closing and being liquidated in a year is not that good considering they had 700 stores before.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:33 AM

5,592 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
My point is that people that live in Easley, Powdersville, Greer, 5 Forks, and Simpsonville are unlikely to drive to Augusta Road to go grocery shopping on any kind of a frequent basis. With other good choices in the market like Publix (and Lowes for 5 Forks), not many people are going to drive all the way to Augusta Rd. for Harris Teeter. It's not that much of a destination shopping experience.
And my point was that many Powdersville residents spend a significant amount of time in other communities, where they work, play, dine, and shop. I do not live in the Woodruff Road area, but have shopped at several stores there recently, since Sprouts opened. It may be slightly out of the way, but is not excessively so.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 AM

To clarify: "Not excessively so" for everyone living there, especially if they work in Greenville, Simpsonville, Greer, Spartanburg, etc.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:24 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
And my point was that many Powdersville residents spend a significant amount of time in other communities, where they work, play, dine, and shop. I do not live in the Woodruff Road area, but have shopped at several stores there recently, since Sprouts opened. It may be slightly out of the way, but is not excessively so.
Woodruff Road is different because with all of the other stores along that corridor that are unique to the Greenville market, it becomes a shopping destination. There really isn't anything else along Augusta Road that justifies making a separate trip there just to go to Harris Teeter. That's just my opinion but I think it is one that others would probably agree with. You obviously have a differing opinion and that's ok.

I still don't think Harris Teeter is going to be successful in this market with just a couple of stores because they don't offer anything significantly unique to justify going out of the way to shop there. If they only open a couple of stores, I predict they will have a similar outcome to when they slowly entered this market many years ago and ultimately sold their stores to competitors because they were losing money.

I have a similar outlook to Lowes Foods who I think is also going to ultimately leave the market without success. Their newer stores are very nice but I'm not going to drive past Publix, Ingles, and several other grocery stores to get to one and I don't think many other shoppers will, either.

Ingles has a bit of this problem as well with their existing footprint missing many key areas and with other key areas served by extremely dated stores. Their new store in Powdersville is as nice as any of the area Publix stores. Their stores in Mauldin and Simpsonville are woefully dated. Both of those are pretty key areas within this market and both stores are way past the point of needing to be replaced and/or extensively remodeled.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 PM

181 posts, read 132,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
You might be correct on Powdersville, but when it comes to Greer and Simpsonville your wrong. Of course, Powdersville is still an unincorporated community so even though it is the fastest community growing in Anderson County and the upstate of any sort, it isn't quite big enough of for all the stuff yet. Now, Powdersville does have some firsts (like Kolache Factory and biggest Ingles in upstate), but it is not quite at Simponsville league yet (though wait another 10 years and it might be a comparable).

Going over to Simpsonville and you will see that Simpsonvillians won't have to go to Greenville to do their shopping. They not only have Sprouts on the Simpsonville portion of Woodruff Rd in Simpsonville, but they also have Ingles, Food Lion, Walmart (both Supercenter and Neighborhood Market), Publix, and Aldi (not counting BiLo of course).They also have a movie theatre and all sorts of different places for shopping (chain and nonchain).

Greer essentially is a larger version of Simpsonville, with even more to offer.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:59 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,353,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Harris Teeter entered Spartanburg County in 1987 and Greenville County in 1989. For it to expand in Greenville County, it should consider additional locations in Greenvile (i.e. Pelham Road), Greer, Simpsonvlle, and Taylors.
Hopefully Harris Teeter will eventually expand into the suburban areas. They were previously interested in the Simpsonville area of Woodruff Rd. but there was strong local opposition, and eventually that site became Sprouts Farmers Market. Perhaps if Lowe's Foods or BI-LO at Five Forks fail, Harris Teeter could possibly expand there. I was told the Augusta Rd. store has been very successful so far, and since they now have the financial backing of Kroger I am not sure if store count and market dominance is such crucial factor anymore. I am perfectly satisfied to shop at Walmart for low priced basic items, and visit Publix when I prefer better quality on preferred items. And when I am in Greenville for work, it is not out of my way to stop at the Harris Teeter on the way home.

I also think Lowe's Foods is a nice store, but I find the sale prices at Publix and Harris Teeter to be better. And since Lowe's is a smaller footprint company without a big parent company such as Kroger, I think their long term opportunity for success may be problematic or challenging. I could see an eventual acquisition by Harris Teeter to be a possibility if they struggle operationally at Lowe's Foods. If that were to occur, perhaps add the best of Lowe's Foods to Harris Teeter, such as Chicken Kitchen, sausage works, etc. Both Publix and Lowe's Foods have better fried chicken than Harris Teeter, which is one item where they need to improve.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Woodruff Road is different because with all of the other stores along that corridor that are unique to the Greenville market, it becomes a shopping destination. There really isn't anything else along Augusta Road that justifies making a separate trip there just to go to Harris Teeter. That's just my opinion but I think it is one that others would probably agree with. You obviously have a differing opinion and that's ok.
Certainly Powdersville residents who may be retired and don't like to drive much, stay-at-home parents, and those residents who actually work in Powdersville, may naturally consider trips to Greenville for groceries an inconvenience. I was primarily thinking of the many who do travel out of the community for work, play, etc., who are more likely to stop on Augusta Road, Woodruff Road, Haywood Road, Downtown, etc., while in the vicinity or during a routine commute to/from home. I know this happens, and Powdersville is still a bedroom community that currently does not have some of the amenities appreciated by many in other communities. One of the best amenities in Powdersville is the fairly easy commute to Greenville and other places in the Upstate via I-85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAndersonCo View Post
You might be correct on Powdersville, but [...]
I only wrote about Powdersville residents.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAndersonCo View Post
-from https://www.supermarketnews.com/reta...-profitability

215 stores closing and being liquidated in a year is not that good considering they had 700 stores before.
I would not be surprised to see Southeastern Grocers operate fewer than 400 stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area