Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
CK - Do you know what their total store count is now (minus Winn Dixie)? I'm guessing It has to be half of what it was when Bi-Lo was over 200 stores. Most of the locations left are in SC now with around a dozen left each across the state line in NC and Ga.
I will need to do a store count of Southeastern Grocers by state, by banner, and stores with a pharmacy. BI-LO should be operating at or less than 125 stores in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 10:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverML View Post
Oh come on, BiLo isn't as bad as people make it to be. Most of the time, they are cheaper than Publix, Food Lions, Ingles, and yes Harris Teeter too.
I wish I had your money. I can afford Harris Teeter, Ingle's and Publix, but I cannot afford BI-LO and Food Lion.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:19 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,866,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverML View Post
Oh come on, BiLo isn't as bad as people make it to be. Most of the time, they are cheaper than Publix, Food Lions, Ingles, and yes Harris Teeter too.
I can agree with part of that statement, and some made after that. We were 90% BiLo shoppers, the rest from Sams, occasionally Aldis. To read past comments in these BiLo bashing threads, you would think the people who do the most complaining shop there too, but no they don't, and base their experiences on ONE visit, and assume all store were like that, or post misleading information based on their "past experience". One poster even said that BiLo had expired milk, insinuating ALL of it was bad, based on the fact another poster accidentally picked up an expired gallon 10 years ago.

I Have never, ever had any issues with quality at Bilo, never had any issues with anything at BiLo, unlike some so take issue with the design and color of the buildings, until recently, and it all comes back to management. THis will be the main reason the stores go under, when they do.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:55 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,005,738 times
I don't find HT to be all that bad especially when you stick with their private labels. Publix and Ingles higher IMO. Bi-Lo's prices have gone up IMO. I think Food Lion is very fairly priced for the most part especially the FL brands. My total is always lower when I shop in FL.

I guess it's all in how you shop. If you are someone who has to have your national branded items then the struggle to find the best price is greater. I don't mind substituting and buying the store brand whenever possible.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:26 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,866,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I don't find HT to be all that bad especially when you stick with their private labels. Publix and Ingles higher IMO. Bi-Lo's prices have gone up IMO. I think Food Lion is very fairly priced for the most part especially the FL brands. My total is always lower when I shop in FL.

I guess it's all in how you shop. If you are someone who has to have your national branded items then the struggle to find the best price is greater. I don't mind substituting and buying the store brand whenever possible.
Been saying that for years. BiLo always had better prices on the items we bought there than any other grocery store, or was the only place to get it.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:54 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,801,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I wish I had your money. I can afford Harris Teeter, Ingle's and Publix, but I cannot afford BI-LO and Food Lion.
Not sure if you are joking or not! HT and Publix is the high end cost stores. But you get what you pay for, better service, better products (meat, bakery, etc...).

My daughter works at Bi-Lo. She get's a 5% discount. Even with that, I find the prices are typically better at Food Lion, except for the BOGO's. Having said that, we rarely shop at Bi-Lo. We do most of our shopping between Aldi and Food Lion. We see a significant savings doing it that way.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:13 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
If Bi-Lo completely goes out of business, it will be difficult to fill all of its empty stores.
Honestly the area does not need so many supermarkets. It's great to go to the supermarket and have it not crowded. But there are places with drastically fewer supermarkets per capita that get along fine.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:32 AM

518 posts, read 868,305 times
So, basically two monopolies Wal-mart and Publix. No competition, doesn't look good for low food prices.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:38 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
So, basically two monopolies Wal-mart and Publix. No competition, doesn't look good for low food prices.
Greenville has sixteen monopolies:

Walmart
Publix
Bilo
Food Lion

Trader Joe's
Aldi
Lidl
Harris-Teeter
Whole Foods
Earthfare
The Fresh Market
Ingles
Save-A-Lot
Sav-Mor
Sprouts
Lowe's Foods

So yeah, there's a tightly controlled monopoly with basically no competition at all in the supermarket area. /s

Old 02-26-2019, 08:03 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,005,738 times
Target has a fairly good sized grocery section as well.Sam's and Costco too. Lack of places to buy groceries is Greenville's last problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area