Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:12 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post

I Have never, ever had any issues with quality at Bilo, never had any issues with anything at BiLo, unlike some so take issue with the design and color of the buildings, until recently, and it all comes back to management. THis will be the main reason the stores go under, when they do.

When I lived in Simpsonville.. Bi-Lo was the only real place I shopped. I was off West Georgia, more towards town, but this was 97-06 before everything was built further down W Georgia.. So.. There was teh Bi-Lo that is now Big Lots.. And there was a Winn-Dixie around there somewhere (Demolished, I believe), Walmart, Ingles and that was about it. Publix came along, but late in the game, and I never really liked that store they had on Fairview.

Was always very happy with the Bi-Lo. Then I moved to Gray Court and started shopping at the Laurens Bi-Lo.

First time there, milk on the shelves was expired.

second time, picked up yogurt.. It was expired.

That was it.. Didn't go there anymore. Started going to the Ingles in Laurens or Walmart.. Don't go to Bi-Lo anymore.

So.. I agree with you that it's management. Thing is.. One badly managed store can destroy 125. And Bi-Lo seems to have more than 1 bad store.

The other problem is that the bulk of Bi-lo's stores are 70's to 80's era designs. You have a few new ones, like the Fairview store in Simpsonville.. But lots and lots are old.. I always thought that's what doomed Winn-Dixie around here. The vicious cycle of not having money to invest in stores, so people stopped coming because they liked the bright shiny new Publix/Walmart/Ingles down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:32 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
When I lived in Simpsonville.. Bi-Lo was the only real place I shopped. I was off West Georgia, more towards town, but this was 97-06 before everything was built further down W Georgia.. So.. There was teh Bi-Lo that is now Big Lots.. And there was a Winn-Dixie around there somewhere (Demolished, I believe), Walmart, Ingles and that was about it. Publix came along, but late in the game, and I never really liked that store they had on Fairview.

Was always very happy with the Bi-Lo. Then I moved to Gray Court and started shopping at the Laurens Bi-Lo.

First time there, milk on the shelves was expired.

second time, picked up yogurt.. It was expired.

That was it.. Didn't go there anymore. Started going to the Ingles in Laurens or Walmart.. Don't go to Bi-Lo anymore.

So.. I agree with you that it's management. Thing is.. One badly managed store can destroy 125. And Bi-Lo seems to have more than 1 bad store.

The other problem is that the bulk of Bi-lo's stores are 70's to 80's era designs. You have a few new ones, like the Fairview store in Simpsonville.. But lots and lots are old.. I always thought that's what doomed Winn-Dixie around here. The vicious cycle of not having money to invest in stores, so people stopped coming because they liked the bright shiny new Publix/Walmart/Ingles down the street.
I agree on the one in Laurens! It should have clsed years ago. The 2 in Simpsonville are recent stores, and still "look" fairly fresh to me. I think the one on 14 is newer. The one in Fountain Inn was remodeled a couple of years ago. I like the "new" Ingles in Laurnens, and the "new" Food Lion in Woodruff, but seldom go to it. The BiLo in Woodruff isnt bad at all, but gettng in and out of the parking lot can take forever! WalMart in Laurnens, as well as Simpsonville seldom have in stock what I would buy, or dont carry it t all. (BTW, that wasnt you I was refering to about the milk, but I knew you has said hat once.)

Old 02-26-2019, 11:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Honestly the area does not need so many supermarkets. It's great to go to the supermarket and have it not crowded. But there are places with drastically fewer supermarkets per capita that get along fine.
I agree. Inferior participants will continue to close stores.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Not sure if you are joking or not! HT and Publix is the high end cost stores. But you get what you pay for, better service, better products (meat, bakery, etc...).
You must be joking. If you like to pay more and get less, go shop at inferior competitors if they still have stores and if their high prices do not increase.

Harris Teeter and Publix are not high end cost stores. Their stores are constantly busy, have fair prices. and are consistent in better services and products.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I can agree with part of that statement, and some made after that. We were 90% BiLo shoppers, the rest from Sams, occasionally Aldis. To read past comments in these BiLo bashing threads, you would think the people who do the most complaining shop there too, but no they don't, and base their experiences on ONE visit, and assume all store were like that, or post misleading information based on their "past experience". One poster even said that BiLo had expired milk, insinuating ALL of it was bad, based on the fact another poster accidentally picked up an expired gallon 10 years ago.

I Have never, ever had any issues with quality at Bilo, never had any issues with anything at BiLo, unlike some so take issue with the design and color of the buildings, until recently, and it all comes back to management. THis will be the main reason the stores go under, when they do.
I think BI-LO went the wrong direction and made many bad decisions post-Ahold ownership. Bad decisions and abandonment of standards have led to stores closed and market exits.

I have been at two BI-LO stores within the past month. Neither store had many customers. Grocery shelves had holes, or empty spaces for products. Excluding self checkout, one register was open.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:36 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
You must be joking. If you like to pay more and get less, go shop at inferior competitors if they still have stores and if their high prices do not increase.

Harris Teeter and Publix are not high end cost stores. Their stores are constantly busy, have fair prices. and are consistent in better services and products.
I guarantee you that if we shopped for the same exact products, you at Publix me at Food Lion, I would come out with a lower bill hands down.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Publix is a nice store and the service is usually top notch. But cost wise you can save money, shopping at other places. Aldi for one has good quality products for about a third of the price of Publix.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:44 AM

USNRET04:

I agree with you to an extent my bill at Food Lion could be lower. If Food Lion does not have what I need, I leave and go to a competitor and Food Lion does not see my money.

There are reasons Food Lion failed in its expansion across upstate South Carolina a decade ago.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:05 PM

115 posts, read 104,250 times
I mainly do my shopping in Simpsonville around the Fairview area. Sometimes I would head out to the Woodruff rd area to shop at Lidl, Sprouts, and Traders Joe. For everyday price on name brand items. Walmart got them beat most of the time. For store brands. Aldi and Lidl. Somehow I find Aldi brand items to be cheaper and closer in quality to the national brand. For specialty items. Sprout and Traders Joe got them beat. For customer service, stocks, and store display, Publix, Whole food and Harris teeter for the win. Sometimes it people preference to shop smart. Customer service over wallet. It is up to to the person.

Every since BiLo left the area to Florida, Bilo have gone down hill. I will have to agree. There will be a lot of empty storefronts and unemployment once BiLo fold.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:45 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
USNRET04:

I agree with you to an extent my bill at Food Lion could be lower. If Food Lion does not have what I need, I leave and go to a competitor and Food Lion does not see my money.

There are reasons Food Lion failed in its expansion across upstate South Carolina a decade ago.
Yes. Food Lion failed because of bad advice on locations except W. Georgia Rd and the one on Hwy 25 near Moonville( both Food Lions still going strong). I would like to see Food Lion with Bi-Lo's locations I would bet it would be a different story and that may very well still play out eventually.

FL holds their own everywhere else in the Carolinas against the same competition we have here (Walmart,HT, Publix etc)

Last edited by vistatiger; 02-26-2019 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 02:14 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverML View Post
Every since BiLo left the area to Florida, Bilo have gone down hill. I will have to agree. There will be a lot of empty storefronts and unemployment once BiLo fold.

Don't particularly think that's a cause and effect relationship.

If Bi-Lo had remained local, I think they'd still be going down. Track it back.. Problems started, even before Ahold.. So, somewhere back there is your cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area