Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Reputation: 5997

Advertisements

I have heard speculation of Harris Teeter having interest in a quantity of BI-LO stores in the Charleston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2019, 06:32 PM
 
1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Reputation: 1164
Wow, with 15 or so in the area, they still want more!


When Piggly Wiggly Carolina went kaput it was announced that BiLo would take over the Charleston area Pig's.The next thing I knew HT had taken over some of these. I'm thinking Folly Beach in particular.


A friend in the grocery anchored real estate business tells me that the Charleston market is so hot that they can't buy anything in the area that will allow them to cover their common stock dividend.


So how much more rent is HT willing to pay to get more stores in a market they already seem to own outright? I'm scratching my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Ahold brand Giant Food Stores, based in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, have undergone a tremendous upgrade within the last 15 years. They would put today's BI-LO brand to shame in more than a few categories.
Ahold brand Giant Food operates 2 divisions, Giant Carlisle, PA and Giant Landover, MD. Both are well managed and successful operations. Not to be confused with Giant Eagle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I have heard speculation of Harris Teeter having interest in a quantity of BI-LO stores in the Charleston area.
Perhaps a defensive move to prevent rival Publix from acquiring. But I would like to see more Harris Teeter locations return to Upstate SC in addition to the Low Country. The new HT in Greenville is a very nice addition and seems to have been very successful so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 09:10 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Reputation: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Wow, with 15 or so in the area, they still want more!


When Piggly Wiggly Carolina went kaput it was announced that BiLo would take over the Charleston area Pig's.The next thing I knew HT had taken over some of these. I'm thinking Folly Beach in particular.


A friend in the grocery anchored real estate business tells me that the Charleston market is so hot that they can't buy anything in the area that will allow them to cover their common stock dividend.


So how much more rent is HT willing to pay to get more stores in a market they already seem to own outright? I'm scratching my head.
Most of the Piggly Wiggly stores BI-LO Holdings acquired from Piggly Wiggly Carolina Company have closed or been sold to independent owner/operators to operate as Piggly Wiggly again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 09:11 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Reputation: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Perhaps a defensive move to prevent rival Publix from acquiring. But I would like to see more Harris Teeter locations return to Upstate SC in addition to the Low Country. The new HT in Greenville is a very nice addition and seems to have been very successful so far.
If Harris Teeter wants to make moves in South Carolina, it should consider acquiring a quantity of BI-LO stores in other areas. Two stores in Greenville are not enough to compete with Ingle's and Publix.

Publx has no problem acquiring stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 04:19 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Reputation: 10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
USNRET04:

I agree with you to an extent my bill at Food Lion could be lower. If Food Lion does not have what I need, I leave and go to a competitor and Food Lion does not see my money.

There are reasons Food Lion failed in its expansion across upstate South Carolina a decade ago.
AholdDelhaize is testing a new banner in Philadelphia, Giant Heirloom, as a small footprint grocery store. If it is successful I suspect that they'll expand it south to replace some of the small Food Lions. They might use it to their advantage in areas where they don't need bigger stores, to increase their presence. It remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 PM
 
1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Reputation: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
AholdDelhaize is testing a new banner in Philadelphia, Giant Heirloom, as a small footprint grocery store. If it is successful I suspect that they'll expand it south to replace some of the small Food Lions. They might use it to their advantage in areas where they don't need bigger stores, to increase their presence. It remains to be seen.
I'm very interested in this.Our youngest daughter lives in DC with no car and shops at the Dupont Circle Whole Foods.When we visit we load her up with heavy bulky grocery items.This concept would work great in DC.


It also excites me that there is an evolving omnichannel, and Amazon will not dominate! The folks in the industry I listen too have told me this is the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 09:26 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Reputation: 10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I'm very interested in this.Our youngest daughter lives in DC with no car and shops at the Dupont Circle Whole Foods.When we visit we load her up with heavy bulky grocery items.This concept would work great in DC.


It also excites me that there is an evolving omnichannel, and Amazon will not dominate! The folks in the industry I listen too have told me this is the future.
I would expect that this concept will work out. They have one up and running and are working on two more. This is a good concept for largely urban cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC, but would also work in smaller towns.

Considering all of the small Food Lions that have weathered the biennial "We're changing" ad campaigns, this is really the only way for them to convince people that they're different. I mean, no one in their right mind believes them any more.

If this works in Philadelphia, I would expect that the new chain will start moving south. There probably are areas in Greenville and Spartanburg where they could do infill with these smaller stores. This, coupled with Aldi and Lidl, could eliminate food deserts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 11:03 PM
 
1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Reputation: 1164
Yes, but Ipads to facilitate home delivery is a decidedly upper middleclass play.Their latest Foodlion attempts look like brand new bilo's from 30 years ago.I see no evidence that the Foodlion parent company understands what todays Harris Teeter type shopper desires, but what do I know, I'm an old Winn Dixie store manager!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top