Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:57 PM

140 posts, read 358,869 times

Advertisements

I am a black woman married to a white man. We lived in Greenville for a year about ten years ago and loved it. We had two of our three children at the time. Our third was born after we moved back to Florida. My oldest daughter has been wanting to go back for years. We are planning to come back up to buy a home in March.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:04 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
I am a black woman married to a white man. We lived in Greenville for a year about ten years ago and loved it. We had two of our three children at the time. Our third was born after we moved back to Florida. My oldest daughter has been wanting to go back for years. We are planning to come back up to buy a home in March.
Unfortunately, there would be a double standard among some people(not necessarily just here) if you were white and your husband was black.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:24 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Unfortunately, there would be a double standard among some people(not necessarily just here) if you were white and your husband was black.
Yeah, you will probably get lynched and have stones thrown at you.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Yeah, you will probably get lynched and have stones thrown at you.
I never said that. I'm just saying there are some people who would unfortunately "disapprove".

You really will find something wrong with anything I post, won't you?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
^Pretty much. My experience has shown that the vast majority of people living here are very open to and accepting of interracial families and couples. There are too many mixed-race individuals to count (not that it really matters anyway), and many people from various places around the World live here in the Greenville area. I really don't think there is any need to worry about rejection or negative remarks here.

Last edited by Skyliner; 11-05-2008 at 01:23 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 02:54 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,269 times
Our property is in a rural area of north Greenville County. Our future neighbors are a mixed couple, and they've lived there 33 years. They said they've never had any trouble. Of course, they are about the nicest folk you ever want to meet- that probably helps. I hate prejudice of all kinds (Does that make me prejudiced against bigots?) So their experience makes me feel better about the neighborhood we will be moving to.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 AM

140 posts, read 358,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Are you saying there would be racism from blacks or whites? In our 23 yr marriage we've probably dealt with more 'social' racism from blacks than whites. My hubby lost a job once when the owner (a white racist) found out I was black, so we have experienced 'financial' racism as well but only that one time and he found another job.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat12 View Post
I did not grow up in SC but seriously regret moving here. Sure it has its beauty but I have never lived in a more racist area in my life. I 100% agree with the person who said "blacks in this country are constantly trying to 'shoebox' themselves into some kind of ancestry. This is the only race I know of that does this." 100% agree!!!

I'm tired of being harrassed by people who ASSUME others are racist just because they are different. Wish there was no such thing. People should be equal everywhere. But some people, of every race, are idiots, and make assumptions. They think they are entitled. Get over it already. We are judged because of the clothes we wear, the car we drive, the house we live in. Some people look for racism when there is NONE. This creates it!! It's not fair to anyone involved regardless of race. It's childish. Stop looking for it just because ancestors were treated unfairly. It's done. It's over. It's regretted. Shameful. But to keep acting it is pathetic.
why bring up a thread thats over a year old to bash Greenville?? looking for a reason to stir up trouble?
you've only posted 6 times and the majority of that is negative against Greenville, I just don't get that

Old 11-05-2008, 03:50 PM

64 posts, read 131,093 times
Quote:
I understand about the mindset of "Dixie" and Confederate flags in the rural areas but how common is it to find neo ***** and/or KKK groups in G'ville and the Upcountry overall?

Are we likely to be targets of racists because we are a mixed race family? Our children were orphans in China and they have a mother and father now but they sure don't need ignorance and hate thrown at them where they are brought up.
You have got to be kidding me. First it was homosexuals, now Chinese. I feel like all I do on here is try to negate the ridiculous misconceptions people have of the South. This is absolutely absurd and ignorant beyond all description. I give up!!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:05 PM

135 posts, read 525,627 times
Thumbs down Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat12 View Post
I did not grow up in SC but seriously regret moving here. Sure it has its beauty but I have never lived in a more racist area in my life. I 100% agree with the person who said "blacks in this country are constantly trying to 'shoebox' themselves into some kind of ancestry. This is the only race I know of that does this." 100% agree!!!

I'm tired of being harrassed by people who ASSUME others are racist just because they are different. Wish there was no such thing. People should be equal everywhere. But some people, of every race, are idiots, and make assumptions. They think they are entitled. Get over it already. We are judged because of the clothes we wear, the car we drive, the house we live in. Some people look for racism when there is NONE. This creates it!! It's not fair to anyone involved regardless of race. It's childish. Stop looking for it just because ancestors were treated unfairly. It's done. It's over. It's regretted. Shameful. But to keep acting it is pathetic.
Get help, you sound scorned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area