Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:29 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,370 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this board and others for a little while and have thusfar felt good about moving to the Greenville area but would like to clarify something important to us.

We're a Caucasian couple with two young daughters adopted from China.

My husband ran into an old friend (whose wife is Asian) who warned us pretty strongly about racism in G'ville and Greer where he had family. He added that he hadn't been there for almost 15 years but at that time there were issues of prejudice and even incidents of hate crimes involving the KKK. I don't have any more details than that. He was very sure that we would be unwelcome and maybe persecuted because our kids aren't white.

I understand about the mindset of "Dixie" and Confederate flags in the rural areas but how common is it to find neo ***** and/or KKK groups in G'ville and the Upcountry overall?

Are we likely to be targets of racists because we are a mixed race family? Our children were orphans in China and they have a mother and father now but they sure don't need ignorance and hate thrown at them where they are brought up.

We're in SoFL now and the state has many problems but we've never once encountered anything but warmth, smiles and lovely comments about our beautiful Asian kids.

Please tell me things aren't the way this guy describes them in SC in the 21st century!?

Thanks for your honesty...

Last edited by linicx; 08-05-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 12-19-2006, 12:14 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
I've been reading this board and others for a little while and have thusfar felt good about moving to the Greenville area but would like to clarify something important to us.

We're a Caucasian couple with two young daughters adopted from China.

My husband ran into an old friend (whose wife is Asian) who warned us pretty strongly about racism in G'ville and Greer where he had family. He added that he hadn't been there for almost 15 years but at that time there were issues of prejudice and even incidents of hate crimes involving the KKK. I don't have any more details than that. He was very sure that we would be unwelcome and maybe persecuted because our kids aren't white.
[B]
I understand about the mindset of "Dixie" and Confederate flags in the rural areas but how common is it to find neo ***** and/or KKK groups in G'ville and the Upcountry overall? [/b]
Are we likely to be targets of racists because we are a mixed race family? Our children were orphans in China and they have a mother and father now but they sure don't need ignorance and hate thrown at them where they are brought up.

We're in SoFL now and the state has many problems but we've never once encountered anything but warmth, smiles and lovely comments about our beautiful Asian kids.

Please tell me things aren't the way this guy describes them in SC in the 21st century!?

Thanks for your honesty...
I understand about the mindset of "Dixie" and Confederate flags in the rural areas but how common is it to find neo ***** and/or KKK groups in G'ville and the Upcountry overall?

Dear carolinadreamin,
Your only Real Problem would be with "Black Rage"...

Old 12-19-2006, 05:07 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
I honestly don't think your family will have a problem at all. I have a good friend who lives in the Greenville area. She knows families like yours (she's in ministry), and they've had nothing but good experiences. I'm not saying it can't happen. But it could happen anywhere, racism isn't isolated to one part of the country. But I think you guys would really enjoy the area and would be weclome. I'd highly recommend the area. Also, I'd like to thank you for adopting. I so admire those will to rescue children. Good luck!!!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post

Dear carolinadreamin,
Your only Real Problem would be with "Black Rage"...
OK I'll bite.
What is the "Black Rage"?

Old 12-19-2006, 06:23 AM

Default Mixed race families

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I honestly don't think your family will have a problem at all. I have a good friend who lives in the Greenville area. She knows families like yours (she's in ministry), and they've had nothing but good experiences. I'm not saying it can't happen. But it could happen anywhere, racism isn't isolated to one part of the country. But I think you guys would really enjoy the area and would be weclome. I'd highly recommend the area. Also, I'd like to thank you for adopting. I so admire those will to rescue children. Good luck!!!
Thanks for your input and for your kind words. We were a childless couple for 10 years and not unhappy with that but we've been so much happier since becoming parents and in many ways feel that these sweet babies rescued US.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:22 AM

7 posts, read 31,801 times
Default Racism

Hey CarolinDreamin!

I've lived in SC for about 7 years now and in Greenville for 1 year, if you are looking for a progressive southern town its Greenville. This place is a melting pot of all types of families, mixed race, same gender, etc. I think you would find a welcoming community in Greenville. I know of a few other families who have adopted foreign babies.
Maybe because I'm caucasian I don't notice racism as much as someone who may be subjected to it due to a "different" family, but I think Greenville is outgrowing the ignorance and you would feel comfortable here. Come visit!

Old 12-19-2006, 11:23 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
OK I'll bite.
What is the "Black Rage"?
Google is your freind...

Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
i dont think you will have a problem with having an Asian child as if you were married to a black person. They hate us the most not asians or hispanics.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:27 PM

Post Puzzled and too tired to play riddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
Google is your freind...
I think you're trying to tell me something...
Problem is, I'm not seeing what.
Sorry but I prefer straightforward answers, as the others have been so kind to offer.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:29 PM

Default racism blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i dont think you will have a problem with having an Asian child as if you were married to a black person. They hate us the most not asians or hispanics.
I'm sorry that you're experiencing hate.
That's sad, considering where we are in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area