Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM

45 posts, read 265,120 times

Advertisements

Is electric and water considered expensive in the Greenville area? We will be moving to Acadia south of the town and wondered. We have awful water bills here in VA since it's a private system. $69/mo. is the minimum. Have assumed it's cheaper down there ... but assumption is not a good thing :-)

What about electric? I guess there are various options for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 03:47 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,815,038 times
I pay about $35-40 for a three month water bill, that is for a three bedroom home with two ppl living in it. as far as electric it depends on your home, I live in an older farmhouse, and I think I end up spending way more on electric because my house is not well insulated, oh and by the way I have duke power, on average this winter we were paying $200 a month, which seems high to me.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks, Noodles! That sounds really great compared to here on the water. We have a small home (1600 sf) and our avg. electric for year round use is $100/month, so sounds like yours isn't sky high. We'll be building very energy efficient so I don't expect it to be a problem. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't really ridiculous. I think they told us that Duke was our supplier also.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 AM

221 posts, read 1,028,590 times
Most places only have one source for electricity.

I recently found out you can call SCE&G (in columbia) and ask about the Electric or Gas bills for a specific address. I told them I was considering buying a house, and gave them the address and they were able to give me averages for the last year or so, probably slightly rounded numbers like 80-150 with an average of $125.

I'm not sure about Duke in Greenville, but I'd bet you could call and ask the same thing and get the same information. Next time you're buying a house or renting an apartment, don't take the word of the seller/landlord on what the bills run. Call the Electric Company and ask them directly.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:47 AM

That's a great idea and info for the forum. Won't apply to us on this one since we bought a lot :-) It's using 0 energy right now [grin]. Thanks for the tip on calling he company! Nice to know.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 PM

915 posts, read 2,414,164 times
We built an energy star home in 2006, 4BD/3BA + bonus (about 2,500sf). Our heating/ac bill are cheaper in this house than our old house, which was almost 1,000 square feet smaller. Typically we (2 adults, 1 child) average about $30/mo for water/sewer, $45/mo electric(winter), $145/mo electric(summer), $35/mo gas(summer), and about $160/mo gas(winter).

Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 24,475 times
Hey, I am looking to move to the Grenville area here in the next few weeks, and was wondering what your Utilities runs, trying to get a grip on the budget.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,116,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tori_catholic View Post
Hey, I am looking to move to the Grenville area here in the next few weeks, and was wondering what your Utilities runs, trying to get a grip on the budget.
Though this is an older thread, the suggestion above to call the utility company if you know the address you are moving to and ask them what the bill was for the past month, and what it was for the year prior for the same period.

When we bought a home in Greer I had assumed it was Duke Power that was the sole electric company in Greenville County - WRONG! Coming from FL and only knowing FP&L I had no idea there could be more than one possibility - there were 3 names given to me. We actually have CPW which includes not only electric, but water, gas and if you are on city sewer, that too (we have a septic tank, another new thing for me!)

I was mortified when I called CPW to get the electric bill to the month prior to closing - was $450! This is for a home with 2 older people in it. I almost didn't close, not only for that, but other things were being considered. I found out the day before closing they installed a new heat pump. My electric bill hasn't been anything at all like that.

Keep in mind where ever you are moving, your bill probably be different than whoever has lived there before you, or if it's a new house, well, you'll have to establish your own "normal." The people who owned the house had the heat up to 77 degrees when I went in

I'm sure the heat pump has made a big difference too, and that it has helped when using the newer a/c unit they had paired with the old inefficient air handler. Cleaning of the lint that was thicker than theives in the dryer had to make a difference, not to mention the lint, hair, gawd knows what it was under the fridge had to help too.

There's a lot of factors to what your bill will be, but I do know I called CPW and asked for the rates of each utility so I could compare what I paid with FP&L to what it was here - FP&L is definitely cheaper, as I found Duke to be cheaper than CPW, but you can not pick and choose who you want. You get what you get and it's up to you to decide where you can save on your own utilities.

There is a LOT of waste of electricity and water. People can easily save if they are more careful and diligent about watching their comsumptions and doing what they can by saving energy and water - there's tons of sites out there that have great advice and suggestions.

So with that, see where your moving, who the provider is, and then go from there.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:25 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,084,955 times
Seriously? CPW and Laurens EMC, I have found, are a LOT cheaper than Duke...and definately waaaay less than FP&L. The formers are not for profit utilities, the latter answer to shareholders (via profits).

I've always held the belief that certain "mandatory utilities" (power, water, natural gas & land line telephone) should be operated by non-profit co-ops, instead of for profit, shareholder run utilities. To me, the basic tools of comfort in this country should not come at the expense (or the profit) of someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area