Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 04:11 PM

654 posts, read 364,256 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to see that the Upstate used to have a dense network of passenger trains, from a range of New York-Atlanta ones such as the Crescent, which still runs, to a large number of what would count today as commuter trains, stopping every few miles and connecting small towns around the Upstate. For example, you used to be able to take trains from Greenville to Anderson, from Taylors to Greenville and more:

http://streamlinermemories.info/South/SRR25-6TT.pdf

Even as late as the early 1970s, there were still a few New York-Atlanta ones, and ones connecting Asheville, Spartanburg and Columbia were around until the late 1960s.

Given the nearly total disappearance of these trains, I'm curious about them. If you took them in the 1960s and earlier, I'd love to hear more about your experiences.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 10:53 PM

69 posts, read 73,705 times
Just asked my husband about this. He said that when he was probably 5 or 6 which would have been in the early 60s, he recalled taking an old style passenger train from Greenwood to Abbeville. He doesn't recall the train line name but it was interesting to know. I am from Seneca but never had this experience in school.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:10 AM

100 posts, read 94,402 times
What an interesting topic......hope more folks add their experiences here.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:14 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
No experience here either, but plan to board the Crescent in Clemson one day soon and head north.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:38 AM

17,585 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
No experience here either, but plan to board the Crescent in Clemson one day soon and head north.

I've done the Crescent to DC before.. I don't know.. Good, bad.. All together.

The problem is that it leaves Greenville at about 11pm at night and gets into DC at about 8am. if you can sleep on a train, that's fine. But, if you want to see things.. Not so much.

My dad said that he used to get a train in Clinton and ride to Abbeville when he was dating my mother.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:40 AM

102 posts, read 121,903 times
I remember in elementary school (mid-50s) our class went on a train ride as a field trip from Newberry to Prosperity, Later, in High School, a friend and I took a train from Newberry to Arden, NC (Lutheridge) where staff from the camp met us at the train station and walked with us along a path through the woods to the camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area